Favorite cheap gear

colersu22

WKR
I forgot to mention sun screen in my first post but I always have it in my pack hiking.

My DIY beer can alcohol stove. I boil 2 cups of water over it once per day to rehydrate my evening meal. I carry a flask of 95% ethanol and use 2 tablespoons each time I boil my water. An aluminum windscreen and wire pot stand completes the setup. Not applicable to every situation, but for early season elk hunts below tree line, it works great for its intended purpose.

Akicita

WKR
Think my best piece of cheap gear is this little cinch cord flashlight that goes on my pack. So even if don't have my flashlight handy I have this little 9 dollar light that acts as a cinch cord I can turn on to see in my pack at night.

Black Crater Cord Lock LED Light - Flashlights - Flashlights - Going Gear

Thank you!!!

I ordered a few of these. . . The first one is going directly on my Mammut Trion 28+7 ice climbing pack. It is a top load with a cord cinch that this will be perfect for when I need to find my headlamp that seems to make its way to the bottom no matter where I put it. The next one is going on the hood cinch cord on my Arcteryx Beta SL that's with me 24/7 and the last one is going on my Hestra Heli glove wrist cinch - just because.

Milk weed floss - Allows you to see more of what the wind is doing.

Krazy Glue - From splits in fingertips, equipment repairs to first aid...

Stid2677

WKR
Milk weed floss - Allows you to see more of what the wind is doing.

Krazy Glue - From splits in fingertips, equipment repairs to first aid...

Krazy Glue and baby wipes make for great post kill photos, drop or 2 of Krazy Glue will hold a mouth shut.

idcuda

WKR
Costco socks, pants, mtn house, wipes, trekking poles, etc. And $20 sawyer minis from Walmart.

Cotton Balls and Vaseline go in a small pill bottle. Works fantastic.

Think my best piece of cheap gear is this little cinch cord flashlight that goes on my pack. So even if don't have my flashlight handy I have this little 9 dollar light that acts as a cinch cord I can turn on to see in my pack at night.

Black Crater Cord Lock LED Light - Flashlights - Flashlights - Going Gear

I've had one on my pillow stuff sack for years. Never occurred to me to put it on my pack. I'll have to try that...

robtattoo

WKR
On that note..... Those little Photon knockoff key chain flashlights, commonly known as 'Fauxtons' are super handy & you can usually find a 10-pack on eBay for around $20

robtattoo

WKR
These wee devils. Actually, I've just found a bunch for under $5/10!

5b5b1f65103ddc92e78fa6f6e1f1d4ed.jpg

Sent from a mountain somewhere, using telepathy.

I have a costco 32* fleece jacket that I take more often than my R1. Its warm, soft, quiet, and cheap enough I don't baby it.

Contractor bags can make a lot of crappy situations more bearable. Instant poncho, dry bag, boot liner, tarp, ground cloth, etc...

Anker LC40 flashlight. I wanted a flashlight to have in my pack for tracking that used AAA to match my headlamp. Picked this thing up for $9.99 on Amazon and it's awesome.

Princeton Tec headlamps. I have the FRED model that you can get on STP for $14.99. I've tried a bunch of other headlamps and always go back to this one.

Ontario Rat folding knives. You can't find a better value in the folding knife world IMO. they're a bit on the heavy side but very solid. if it falls out of my pocket i won't lose any sleep over it.

Mora Companion. I know it's been mentioned but the praise this knife gets is well deserved.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Heavy duty foil folded down to about 2x3. Mainly use as a windscreen, sure there is many other uses.

A 1 gallon ziplok dedicated to my sawyer. For those shallow slow moving water sources, it fills easier then I poke a hole in the corner to fill the sawyer bags.

Wisk toothbrushes.

kicker338

WKR
Duct tape and zip lock bags. Duct tape for almost everything makes an outstanding band aid when you split your finger open on a broadhead,been there done that. Zip lock bags put my rubber gloves I use to gut an animal in them along with tags and other stuff I don't want to get wet.

Cotton balls and Vaseline for fire

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my experience, cotton balls do great when its warm outside, but when it is cold they can be difficult to lite and barely burn. I learned this the hard way last year during a late season elk hunt in Montana.

trom2k

FNG
I've had good luck with dryer lint and paraffin wax. Melt the wax, dip lint, let cool a little, dip, cool, dip, cool, etc., etc. until you have a good coat on the lint. Waterproof. Split and light. Burns good, long, and spreads well. Lots of good ideas on this thread for sure. Subscribed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk