Favorite cheap gear

We all love new, fancy (expensive) gear, but what are some little things that are worth their weight in gold? I'm thinking things like optic wipes, chapstick, and nite ize gear wraps.

What little, inexpensive things should everyone consider in their pack?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimbo V

WKR
Cotton balls and Vaseline for fire

colersu22

WKR
I always carry chapstick, something about living on the west side of Wa then heading to the east side to hunt my lips get chapped and it doesn't matter what time of year or if it is windy or not. The burts bees is always in my bino harness for when it is needed.

MSR Aquatabs and Wetfire in the first aid kit. While both are too expensive to use on a regular basis they are very solid products for a backup that you know are just gonna work.

Leukotape; never leave home without it. Has saved me several times from blisters on the toe and heel to a week-long waterproof bandage when a Northern Pike sliced my dad's hand open at a fly-in outpost in Canada.

FreeRange

WKR
Braided masons twine, bright yellow, super cheap, crazy light and strong enough for just about anything you'd actually need to use it for.

twall13

WKR
How do you store them?

I've been playing around with storing them in the bottles that my Nuun tablets come in, they remind me of the old film canisters only taller. Here is a photo for reference.
cef383668268d28c1280e3dd6bf13712.jpg

Other inexpensive items I almost always take with me include: a closed cell foam sit pad, Sawyer Mini filter, Ibeprufen, leukotape, sunglasses (my eyes are pretty sensitive to light since having Lasik surgery).

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

oenanthe

WKR
Leukotape; never leave home without it. Has saved me several times from blisters on the toe and heel to a week-long waterproof bandage when a Northern Pike sliced my dad's hand open at a fly-in outpost in Canada.

Leukotape also works very well on scope bites.

Of course I wouldn't know about that. But a friend of mine told me so. Yeah, that's it. A friend says Leukotape works great for scope bites. :D

robtattoo

WKR
Duct tape. I have it wrapped round both trekking poles, my Nalgene, the pill bottle full of Vaseline balls & the bottle of ibuprofen.

Mora knives. (Sheath wrapped in duct tape)
Safety pins.
Zip ties.
Luci light.
Ziploc bags.

RoJo

WKR
For sunglasses, I use 3M "Virtua" gray safety glasses. Just a couple of bucks apiece, they're comfy, made of polycarbonate, good eye coverage, good UV protection. Buy a bunch, ya break 'em or lose 'em, just grab another pair.

DFB

FNG
Some cheap "7.95 for 10" tent stakes I found on eBay. They're light, strong, and half the price of the ones I tend to lose consistently. Headlamp is my favorite hunting item period though.

OP
freebird134

Stid2677

WKR
Leukotape, baking bags (like you bake a turkey or ham in) very light and tough, makes a good dry bag. Aqua Seal UV, dries almost instantly, great for repairing anything from waders to dry bags to air matteress. Saved more than one person with flat air mattresses because of fire ember holes. Needle and thread, for all types of repairs, can also be used with Leukotape on each side of a wound to make stitches to hold a wound shut. Double over a small flap of tape on each side of wound and sew through the tape to hold wound closed. Tyvek tape to make repairs to a rips in tents, rafts etc.... All tape is wrapped on my trekking poles.