Phone/GPS

Wojo14

WKR
Ok, I am thinking about ditching the Iphone.
I have used it with the Gaia gps app(which I love) but the battery on the Iphone sux.

Any good phones out there that are gps ready with good battery life that I could use the Gaia app with?

If so, which you recommend and have you tested them in the cold!?

I was looking at the Samsung Galaxy Active....
~Wojo

Are you downloading your maps ahead of time and using gaia in airplane mode? I've gone a week on a single charge that way... checking my map every now and then. I always bring my solar panel and battery pack as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12ring

FNG
+1 zeroforhire - I am running onxmaps on my iPhone 6, download maps prior, on airplane mode when I am out and about, no issues with battery life (I do also run a charger and or a solar panel in my kit on extended trips).

WKR
Are you downloading your maps ahead of time and using gaia in airplane mode? I've gone a week on a single charge that way... checking my map every now and then. I always bring my solar panel and battery pack as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Same, but I use Backcountry Navigator. Stopped carrying standalone GPS.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
Wojo14

Wojo14

WKR
I do download maps ahead of time and put on airplane and turn data off.
In canada, there was no cell service and gps worked great, but cold drained battery fast.

~Wojo

Gorp2007

WKR
I do download maps ahead of time and put on airplane and turn data off.
In canada, there was no cell service and gps worked great, but cold drained battery fast.

~Wojo

I used my Android with Backcountry navigator during deer season and as long as the temps stayed above 20 degrees I was fine. As soon as it dropped into the teens, my battery died almost immediately. It's the reason why I'm using my REI dividend on a dedicated GPS this year.

TheCougar

WKR
That sounds like a bad phone battery. I carry an Anker USB battery pack (size of a deck of cards) that will recharge my phone 3-4 times.

I'm running a Galaxy S7 Edge with Backcountry Navigator and it's been superb. Add on the KickR solar pack and I couldn't drain the battery at all on a sunny day running the GPS non-stop. Just download the maps you need, add pins or trails and you're good to go. Imagery/Topo's, it's been super handy.

I would much rather use my phone to cut down on equipment, but my Samsung s5 just can't handle the cold. Tried multiple batteries with same results. I think the cell phone is the future for GPS, but it's just not quite there yet. OR....... Maybe I just need a new phone:)

The Galaxy active is a piece of crap. Go with the S7 or one of the Motorola phones. Which carrier do you have? Also, make sure and put your phone in airplane mode when in the woods or you will run out of battery in no time.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
My s7 just got a software update to Android 7.0. It now has a toggle switch to adjust the cpu and screen resolution which should and so far has improved my battery. Was happy with it before too.

Also my phone's gps has been very quick and accurate, even in airplane mode.

FreeRange

WKR
I had major issues with my iphone 7 in cold this past season, a few hunts around 10 degrees and the phone would go from 100 to dead in an hour. Some waterfowl hunts were around -15 and my phone was basically useless. I started using a battery case I bought off amazon and it really, really helped. I think its two-fold, constantly keeping current flowing into the battery keeping it topped off and also the case/battery itself keeps the phone more insulated from the cold. It's not cumbersome at all and can full-charge the phone about 1.5 times I think. Can't tell you what a world of difference it's made. This is the one I got: Amazon.com: iPhone 6 / 6S Battery Case, Trianium Atomic Pro iPhone Portable Charger iPhone 6 / iPhone 6S (4.7 inch) Charging Case - 3200mAh Extended Battery Pack Juice Bank Cover[MFI Apple Certified] - [Black]: Cell Phones & Accessories

I had major issues with my iphone 7 in cold this past season, a few hunts around 10 degrees and the phone would go from 100 to dead in an hour. Some waterfowl hunts were around -15 and my phone was basically useless. I started using a battery case I bought off amazon and it really, really helped. I think its two-fold, constantly keeping current flowing into the battery keeping it topped off and also the case/battery itself keeps the phone more insulated from the cold. It's not cumbersome at all and can full-charge the phone about 1.5 times I think. Can't tell you what a world of difference it's made.

This sounds more along the lines of not having your phone in airplane mode. Most places where we hunt has really crappy signal. There are 2 main consumers of battery in a phone: screen use and the cellular modem. If you are constantly using the phone it can die in 3-4 hours of straight use (most tech blogs test this by playing a movie on loop). Most of the places where we hunt have poor or non-existent signal, if you have the modem on, especially data turned on, it can drain the battery in under an hour. While extreme cold can hurt a battery it will not hurt that much because as power is used, the phone will warm itself up; especially if you are using power that fast.

FreeRange

WKR
This sounds more along the lines of not having your phone in airplane mode. Most places where we hunt has really crappy signal. There are 2 main consumers of battery in a phone: screen use and the cellular modem. If you are constantly using the phone it can die in 3-4 hours of straight use (most tech blogs test this by playing a movie on loop). Most of the places where we hunt have poor or non-existent signal, if you have the modem on, especially data turned on, it can drain the battery in under an hour. While extreme cold can hurt a battery it will not hurt that much because as power is used, the phone will warm itself up; especially if you are using power that fast.
I always run it in airplane mode. I've been using a phone as my only GPS for at least 5 years with a number of iphones and androids before that. This 6s is way more susceptible to cold than any iphone I've used previously, not sure what the issue is but that's just been my experience.

FreeRange

WKR
I always run it in airplane mode. I've been using a phone as my only GPS for at least 5 years with a number of iphones and androids before that. This 6s is way more susceptible to cold than any iphone I've used previously, not sure what the issue is but that's just been my experience.

I should clarify too, the phone stays dead until I plug it back in and when I do it's got 50-75% battery, this only happens when it's extremely cold out. Don't want to hijack the thread, just brought up my experience because I find the battery case very handy.

Felix40

WKR
Ive seen a noticable difference in cold resistance when using a bulky waterproof case like an otterbox and keeping the phone close to you. On a sheep hunt last month we saw 19 degree nights and my phone died as well as another guy. One of us had an otterbox and kept his phone in his pocket and he was good to go. My anker was dead in no time too from the cold.

Mischief209

Lil-Rokslider
If your looking at a new phone id recommend the LG V20. I just got it 2 months ago and it is great. I have no experience with the cold yet. The main reason behind me getting the LG was it is the last phone, with the newest release date (nov 2016)that has a removable battery. Being able to swap out batterys was the main reason i bought it. The weight saving on carrying 1 battery vs my charge pack is great. But the phone turned out to be awesome. Ive always had galaxy notes before this. I like the screen size. Both are 5.7. The lg has 2 cameras on the back that takes better pictures then anything ive owned previously. Supports a micro sd card of 2TB. Thats huge if you like filming or pics. Records in 4k with RAW files if u want. This things a monster. They have the v30 coming out soon but sealed battery. We may not see another phone with removable battery from anyone. Breaks my heart. Sorry for the sales pitch. I know lg is often looked over, im guilty of it. Used to be samsung for past 6 yrs so i just wanted to throw it out there. If i dont have the phone in my pocket while hunting, ill stuff it in with my sleeping bag to maintain temps. Good luck