Gut Knives

After my elk this year I want to add a gut knife to my kit and have been considering the outdooredge razor pro which has both the replaceable blade knife and the gut knife. The other option is the zip pro which is outdooredge designated gut knife that folds. I could add this to the kit and continue using my havalon which I am still very happy with. Not worried about the added weight, but would like to know if guys have used these and if they find the gut knife to be worth having.

I use a raptorazor for spilting cape etc. it's not light but works really well and quick

GKPrice

Banned
Unless for cutting the hide, no. No reason to gut an elk.

TOTALLY agree - there may be that kill now or then where it's necessary but I've not gutted an elk in 10 years and I'm a much happier hunter because of it, my boots are much happier too - dragging them whole into a truck or SxS might be another story though .....

GKPrice

Banned
I use the havalon. There are new versions that keep blades from breaking so easy. I'm cheap and just keep using my older version.
You cant go wrong with either Hav or the OE.
Just have an extra couple blades for sure, oh and some band aids and tape.
:)

Havalon has a bunch of newer blade designs, found them on Amazon

That gut hook version is blade is useless. I tried it this past season. I got that wyoming knife after trying to use those blades on an early season elk hunt

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I also feel like I would cut a lot less hair off with a gut knife than a regular knife because the blade cuts from the underside of the hide. I'm sure some guys do just fine with their regular knife but I think I could save a lot of time and wrestling around with the legs if I started packing one. I do like the razor pro because it's a folder with both built in.

Personal preference but I like them in two separate knives, in a combo knife they are thicker handled and usually a closed spine which means more gunk builds up. Also if you decide you don't like the razor knife you are sorta tied to it if you still like the zip blade (or need to buy the stand alone zip blade). The stand alone zip folder is a nice piece, its 3oz, easy to clean, and relatively decent materials for what it needs to do.

I used to have a combo folder from outdoor edge with the zip blade and a steel blade (as opposed to the razor) and much prefer two stand alone knifes. (My skinning knife is not an outdoor edge but I did go and buy the zip folder to replace the combo knife since I liked that blade so much).

MtnMuley

WKR
A vote for the OE Zip Pro here. I've been using an OE Swing Blade for years paired with a Havalon. I don't gut most elk, and regardless if you do or don't, the Zip Pro style knife is hands down the best knife I've ever used for getting the hide off quarters and making the cuts for camping.

ericF

WKR
Another vote for the Outdoor Edge Pro here. Like most people here, I go gutless, but the zip is so much easier for making the initial cut down the belly and also simplifies the cuts down the legs. It saves your time and frustration with making the initial cuts.

OP
F

frankrb3

WKR
I also like how the Outdoor edge is a gut knife you "push" and not the type you pull. Seems like you have more control and can tell where your blade is heading opposed to a traditional gut hook.

mdog

FNG
Like a hook knife and a straight blade too because of the speed of working with two knives. I use a disposable carpet blade (1.3oz.) and cut down the neck and spine. Always in the direction the hair grows. Around the quarters , down the legs and around the knees. Then the straight blade for skinning and meat removal. I hunt solo and like to get the meat away from the carcass ASAP.

Attachments

• IMG_0659.jpg
    IMG_0659.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 34