Gut Knives

frankrb3

WKR
After my elk this year I want to add a gut knife to my kit and have been considering the outdooredge razor pro which has both the replaceable blade knife and the gut knife. The other option is the zip pro which is outdooredge designated gut knife that folds. I could add this to the kit and continue using my havalon which I am still very happy with. Not worried about the added weight, but would like to know if guys have used these and if they find the gut knife to be worth having.

Last edited:

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
I went from a Wyoming knife to the razor edge pro. I don't find a need for gut blade and actually prefer the Wyoming knife gut hook over the OE.
Overall I like the OE better.
Wyoming knife has sharper longer lasting blades.

Last edited:

oldgoat

WKR
Yeah, on the rare occasion I need to gut an animal in the field, any old knife will work like it has for millennia, no sense in carrying extra weight!

OP
F

frankrb3

WKR
Hey guys, I used the term gut knife to refer to general characteristics of the tool I was referring to, not the actual act of gutting. I know that regardless of the technique used to breakdown a game animal in the back country that everyone needs to cut through the hide to get to the meat and joints. For me this "gut knife" would be the tool I used to zip open the hide on the back and the legs instead of using a knife. I could have been much clearer with how I planned to use this extra tool.

still don't get it...... Why not just use the knife you already have to split open the hide?

I use the havalon. There are new versions that keep blades from breaking so easy. I'm cheap and just keep using my older version.
You cant go wrong with either Hav or the OE.
Just have an extra couple blades for sure, oh and some band aids and tape.
:)

robtattoo

WKR
Someone gave me a Kershaw ZipIt last gear. It's actually far handier than I imagined it would be. Super handy for ruining up the belly & down the legs.
Not sure I'd carry it into the field, but very handy in my butcher shop.....

OP
F

frankrb3

WKR
still don't get it...... Why not just use the knife you already have to split open the hide?

I have been. I usually hunt alone and the process of breaking down an elk alone is a lot of work and I'm always trying to find an easier and safer way to do it. Plus, I like gear.

Last edited:

Yeah I find it way faster and easier to use the hook and just zip open the hide. I did it with just one knife for awhile but much prefer having that wyoming knife with me now.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I carry the outdoor edge zip it pro folder, for the 3oz I totally enjoy the convenience of that knife. I typically don't gut either but do use that knife to very quickly slice the hide up the body and down each leg <1min, then tuck that knife away. Not that it gets dirty but it is an open spine and easy to clean. For its usage the blade steel holds an edge just find and I just strop it after use when I get home to keep it shaving sharp. Being a folder I don't need a sheath for it so no extra weight there. Just my personal preference of a "nice to have" knife. Yes I've skinned out animals with just a single knife as well, this is just a handy optional item if 3oz isn't a concern.

oenanthe

WKR
These knives are based on a traditional European butcher's knife called a tripe knife (Gut & Tripe Knife - F. Dick).

A buddy of mine had the Outdoor Edge Swingblade and we used it to good effect on a moose and black bear. I liked it enough so I picked up a folding version which I've used on caribou and sheep. I've found these knives are really good for three particular tasks: 1) for cutting the hide they are fast and make a very neat, clean, straight cut. So if you are planning to save the hide they will help you do a really nice job. And 2) if you are one of those old-fashioned guys like me who still gut your critters, they make that faster and easier, both for the initial cut and the rest of the work inside. Because the tip of the knife doesn't cut, you can work much faster when you are reaching inside to cut the diaphragm and other things loose, without fear of nicking the guts (or yourself). Finally (3) the reverse curve and safe tip make cutting the meat off the ribs really easy, especially if you are using the gutless method.

All in all I really like mine and it goes along on all hunts except ultralight sheep hunts.

Murdy

WKR
I use a Gerber with a built in guthook for whitetails (which, of course, are a lot less work), I regard it as a convenience, but it is nice to have and works well.

OP
F

frankrb3

WKR
I also feel like I would cut a lot less hair off with a gut knife than a regular knife because the blade cuts from the underside of the hide. I'm sure some guys do just fine with their regular knife but I think I could save a lot of time and wrestling around with the legs if I started packing one. I do like the razor pro because it's a folder with both built in.

ridge

WKR
8a1ecb7e4e0ee54afeef3158428a2f64.jpg
. Saw these at shot might work

Sent from my BLU ENERGY X PLUS using Tapatalk