Jimmy Tarps Raghorn Shelter

$219 for a limited time. Looks interesting.

0a75a63908b0cce8ac31b30c0b8e026f.jpg

Jimmy Tarps - Just out from Jimmy tarps, the Raghorn. I... | Facebook

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just saw this too, not sure I would pay that. But it seems like a good shelter for early season/warm weather hunts.

buffsmoker

Lil-Rokslider
Am I the only one that thinks he's starting to just rip off other company's designs and market them as his own? The FB post says "I started from scratch and designed a shelter....". But the thing looks exactly like a Para/Super/Mega tarp.

I'm all about supporting small startup business, especially in this industry. But damn, this just seems so disingenuous.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

A couple of their products certainly look like copies of design. I like to support the original mfg out of principle.

I agree about similarities. But I like the niche that Jimmy fills for people that can't afford the "higher end" shelter companies.

Last edited:
Im not really on either side of this as Im a seek outside guy. I can see some similarities to the Kifaru SuperTarp. Its still different. Seams to be a bit taller in the rear and more curved along the ridgeline. Also its 4 ozs lighter. Think about the 2-3 man tent market. Those tents are almost all identical. rectangular inner nest with a rainfly that creates two vestibules. I think hes also done some pretty original designs, his granite mountain seams to be a good example of an original shape and design (correct me if im wrong). I do think his prices have been climbing up a little but hes still a fair bit cheaper than others....

OP
Z
Im not really on either side of this as Im a seek outside guy. I can see some similarities to the Kifaru SuperTarp. Its still different. Seams to be a bit taller in the rear and more curved along the ridgeline. Also its 4 ozs lighter. Think about the 2-3 man tent market. Those tents are almost all identical. rectangular inner nest with a rainfly that creates two vestibules. I think hes also done some pretty original designs, his granite mountain seams to be a good example of an original shape and design (correct me if im wrong). I do think his prices have been climbing up a little but hes still a fair bit cheaper than others....

I agree. Not much groundbreaking design going on in the shelter department over the years. Imitation is the best form of flattery.

This is a straight ripoff of the para/super tarp right down to the bag in the corner that it packs into. The only reason it's cheaper and lighter is because it using a lesser material. I won't be buying anything from Jimmy tarp just like I won't be buying caribou bags.

OP
Z
This is a straight ripoff of the para/super tarp right down to the bag in the corner that it packs into. The only reason it's cheaper and lighter is because it using a lesser material. I won't be buying anything from Jimmy tarp just like I won't be buying caribou bags.

More power to you

A square box is a little different but if you guys don't give a **** it's your right not too. God forbid you developed something to have someone profit off an exact copy

bbrown

WKR
God forbid you developed something to have someone profit off an exact copy

Especially when "someone" calls it their own design after starting from scratch....

I get that there are only so many basic designs and principles of pretty much everything and improvements can be made to everything. But.... to model something you made after another VERY similar product while claiming it as your own just doesn't sit right with me. Pretty much the same issue I have with Caribou game bags (Pristine Ventures TAG bag), Kuiu's 1 person tent (Big Sky Wisp), many new bino harnesses (FHF and ACG) and the list goes on and on...

Last edited:

Clarktar

WKR
Capitalism. I'm sure we all have made a purchase of a "second" design or something that was copied. The only issue I have with these type of things is the other party claiming it's their original design...

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

dotman

WKR
Yeah seems like a lot are starting to just copy Kifaru instead of being imaginative and actual do the R&D for their own unique development. I mean Jimmy just also release the camp chair Kifaru pioneered but discontinued.

I'm pretty sure the patents have expired on the super and para tarp.As far as designed from scratch well that is a bit rich but how many directions can you go with a tent? aren't they just slight variations of a pup tent?

my problem would be if he tries to claim the design, other than that plenty of guys need a good shelter at a lower cost i have no problem with it.
i bought his game bags last year and used them in addition to the bomb bags, both are great products, i will continue to use them both, i have no problem with jimmys offering a lower cost solution to some guys that may not be able to afford the top end items, just don't claim you made something if you didn't.. and give credit for the inspiration..

Guys here's how this honestly went down. I took our skyline shelter and tapered it down towards the back like the alpine basin and added the same rear end that the alpine basin has minus the zipper. I was trying to create a lighter tad smaller version of the alpine basin suited more for the elk hunter. I've never owned a super or mega tarp and had never seen one until last year when a friend I hunted with had a super Tarp. I don't know how similar the dimensions are to each other. I do know just from a looks perspective the super Tarp has quite a bit larger rear vestibule. Sorry if I somehow ruffled some feathers on this thread. I try to stay off these and just let folks express their opinions. Just thought I'd throw this out there how this thing evolved.

Last edited:

DFB

FNG
Jimmy, as always you handle things with class. Your products are great and I'll continue to use your gear as long as you make it. I absolutely love my Alpine Basin and can't wait to use it more. There will always be a portion of people that want to accuse others of stealing designs, being unoriginal, or outright plagiarism, that's just part of business. To say you are ripping off a design because they're similar is like me saying I'll never shoot anything but Easton arrows because everyone else is ripping them off. What about 1 cam bows? I guess all you single cam guys only shoot Martin's because they were first right. I'm glad this post came up. It reminded me to order more stuff from you.

tttoadman

WKR
I was a bit annoyed when I first saw some of his products, but we all need a reality check on this.
1. Did Kifaru or Seek outside make the first TP? How many different ways are there to make a TP? Did the Tut come out before the Cimmaron, or was it the other way around? Who copied who on that one?

2. He makes tarps and bivies and bags just like every other sil nylon sew company. They are all the same with a few minor differences. Don't forget that his first item ever made was a unique little tarp that was his own. Similar to others, but it was his own.

3. He made bags that drop onto kifaru frames. I don't know if he still does, but these are plain simple bags without as much webbing and buckles that makes a kifaru pack what it is. In my opinion, this was a little too far. The problem is, people want the best of everything. I have a krux frame and terminus bag with kifaru belt, grabit and lid. That is really all he made when he made the simple bag, but when a guy markets these things is when he crosses the line to some.

4. I have 3 of the webbing connectors that he makes to hook belt slide equipment on the Kifaru webbing belts(or any molle webbing). This is a great piece and people want it, but Kifaru doesn't offer it. I hope it is not because it would reduce the sales of their own products, because I think that is a little foul. For as modular as they claim to be(which they are!!), this would be a great pc for them to offer that would support many other products. Now if they did add it, they look like the bad copycat guy.

5. Every product is on a slow and steady pace toward perfection by innovation and design. That is reality. The closer to perfection a product becomes, the closer all of the manufactures will look. Manufacturers have to be creative to find a feature to try to call their own that makes their's unique.

I suspect his business venture is similar to many others when they first start. He has skills to make items for himself, and quickly learns that there is a market for him to sell. With a one man show whos R&D is trying to remember what he dreamed up the night before so he could make a sketch, or thinking of how to improve a pc of gear that he owns from someone else. His overhead is basically nothing, and he is not running off a business plan where this venture is his sole support. Which would be more insulting? A guy who is appearing to undercut a larger business but is likely still making a reasonable profit, or a guy who is making 400% because he charges just under the price of a large business with substantially more costs?

I will continue to support his business if his offerings seem genuinely unique, but I also like to support good R&D from places like SG, Kifaru, Seek outside or ??? Let's face it. Some of us including myself have the resources to choose to spend more money on principle if we feel inclined. Some people are not in that position, but they want to get out there and hunt.

Sorry this is so long. It just kept going...