Jimmy Tarps Raghorn Shelter

jm1607

WKR
This is a very common design nowadays.. Also looks like the Bear Paw Canopy 2 and Mountainsmith LT without the vestibule. Basically 2 trekking poles length wise, put a beak and a bigger opening on one end, and have the foot end go down closer to the ground.

Nothing new and being done by so many people I don't even know who you would say was the original. I bet it wasn't Kifaru though. I think it's fine, good for him.. I love my BPWD Canopy 2..

Clarktar

WKR
Thanks for chiming in Jimmy. Hopefully those that were intially perturbed will read your post and appreciate the transparency.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

This is a very common design nowadays.. Also looks like the Bear Paw Canopy 2 and Mountainsmith LT without the vestibule. Basically 2 trekking poles length wise, put a beak and a bigger opening on one end, and have the foot end go down closer to the ground.

Nothing new and being done by so many people I don't even know who you would say was the original. I bet it wasn't Kifaru though. I think it's fine, good for him.. I love my BPWD Canopy 2..
Patrick designed the Mountainsmith a long long time ago.

Esse quam videri

charvey9

WKR
I have a few things from Jimmy and the value can't be beat. As far as designs go, you can only do so many things with a tent/shelter. Every company now makes a tipi, a tarp, and variations on those designs and materials. Competition is a good thing.

Pierrebuiltknives

Lil-Rokslider
MSR was probably one of the first companies making tarps like this. After a while who many shapes can be used for backpacks, knives, tarps, tents , jackets?? I am making a pattern from scratch for a tipi and a backpack. It will obviously have elements of other designs....simply on the fact that there is no other way to make a tipi of a drybag then making a triangle or a ...... whatever hopefully people understand when u start cutting and sewing fabric there are only so many designs one can come up with that work.

I get what you guys are saying but one of these is a super tarp and one these is the Jimmy tarp. He says in its description he started from scratch but that he had seen a kifaru tarp for the first time last year. Then what do you know this pops up. There's no way he can claim he started from ground zero. I mean he even has the little stuff sack in the same spot.

Attachments

• Photo_2017-03-18_09-43-56_PM.jpg
    Photo_2017-03-18_09-43-56_PM.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 245

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
What I love about these small companies is they make money off of Rokslide but always cry poor when asked to sponsor. I'm not saying they all do this, but quite a few do.

OP
Z
Wow. This thread has gone an interesting direction. I posted this to let people know about a product that jimmy was offering. I have no affiliation with his company, I just like my granite mountain.
I agree, he should sponsor this board if he is making money off it. Bean outdoors stepped up recently as did pods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree, he should sponsor this board if he is making money off it.

I appreciated your post. Always good to know about new gear that is available. I've never seen jimmy tarps advertise here, and only hear about him word of mouth. But maybe I'm missing something.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Lots of PMs on my post.

Let me clarify. I'm not saying every small gear company that gets posted on RS should be a sponsor, that's not realistic. But once RS starts sending hundreds to thousands of people a month to a site(which I track) they are making money.

And we have very reasonable rates and lots of gear heads:)

Clarktar

WKR
Lots of PMs on my post.

Let me clarify. I'm not saying every small gear company that gets posted on RS should be a sponsor, that's not realistic. But once RS starts sending hundreds to thousands of people a month to a site(which I track) they are making money.

And we have very reasonable rates and lots of gear heads:)

Does Jimmy tarps have a site?

dotman

WKR
I don't get the only offer products through eBay and Facebook thing as I visit neither. If he really wanted to make it a business I would think at a minimum one would have a website.

I'm new to this site and was just looking into getting a new shelter and I'm honestly baffled that an administer would post something like this!!!! WOW!!! I think this is a little unprofessional. I'm all for the thought of companies becoming sponsors for this site however I would expect administration to take a more professional route when trying to get more sponsors. Its nice to see opinions from other users on pros and cons of different products. I like the looks of both products and can see similarities and differences in both

Clarktar

WKR
Just that he doesn't have a website. I felt people were referring to his website when in fact he didn't have one. It's a simple point per the usual with me

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Haha! You don't have to have a website to make money online. But everyone is a starving small business or so they say.

tttoadman

WKR
I'm new to this site and was just looking into getting a new shelter and I'm honestly baffled that an administer would post something like this!!!! WOW!!! I think this is a little unprofessional. I'm all for the thought of companies becoming sponsors for this site however I would expect administration to take a more professional route when trying to get more sponsors. Its nice to see opinions from other users on pros and cons of different products. I like the looks of both products and can see similarities and differences in both

Great first post??!!
Calling out the owner of the forum of whom you know absolutely nothing about...Priceless.