Kids backpacking set up

Retterath

WKR
I have a 7year old but will be 8 by the time hunting season is here and He really wants to go on a backpack hunt with me. It would be a small archery trip one or two nights here in south dakota. Do any of you have kids this age that have done this? Im in search of a backpack for him and a warm sleeping bag and also sleep pad which any pad will work for him. I need your advice on gear for a kid. I think he is set for clothing. Thanks guys

Kustom

FNG
Your primary concern is that he has fun so you have a good hunting buddy for the future. Bring lots of snacks, like a lot. Extra socks, whole set of cloths in the truck. Give him a belt or pocket knife to carry so he feels special. Have him carry a set of binos, my boy loves binos.
Things like that. For gear he can carry in his pack don't go over 15-20% of his body weight, less is better so he doesn't get to bushed.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I make kids carry their own water and a few snacks that's about it. You don't have to get far away for them to think it's a true adventure

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

clip

FNG
I ran a two person sleeping bag with my kids when they were little, but I think we had two pads? I agree it's all about having fun keep the mood light. One thing that my son mentioned years after our first outings together was that I thought like a 9 year old and anticipated what he worried about at that age and fixed it, like where do I poop, are we lost. I also Made sure he had a responsibility like carrying my knife or the compass.
You can't beat ranger TV to keep a kid happy something about a campfire.
we did mostly canoe or raft trips so weight wasn't an issue but I always brought a bb gun or sling shot along, a few people thought I was bringing them at to early an age and only being self serving but it really gave us a better relationship that has lasted.
take lots of pictures.
M

REI has a pretty good kid's backpack that you can usually pick up used for pretty cheap. That's what each of mine have used until they hit about eleven.

A torso pad or one of the cut down closed cell pads seems to work fine for kids. As long as they're warm, they can sleep on almost anything.

We just run with cheap kid's bags for ours. If it's cooler, I will just tuck the kid in their bag up against me and drape my quilt over them. If it's going to be cold, I bring the wife's quilt along and put it over them in their cheap bag.

My kids get a big kick out of wearing a merino beanie to bed. For some reason, that's a big deal... but it keeps them warm, which keeps them happy.

I agree with what the other guys have said. Snacks are important. Make some trailmix or a combination of nuts as part of your preparations. Binoculars. Maybe use a firestarter rod and some dryer lint to build a fire even if you don't normally. Give him his own headlamp and maybe bring a Luci Light or UV PaqLite. My kids are really into those. And I gotta admit that I really like the UV PaqLites. It's nice to be able to check on them (the kid) without having to turn on a headlamp and fry my eyes.

The only other stuff that I got is to suggest that you make sure that he's drinking enough water and to suggest that you watch closely for when to pull the plug. They get so excited and hum along in high gear all day and then, all of a sudden, they go from full throttle to flame-out. You gotta be able to stuff them in a bag at that point or you're carrying them.

Looks like they've discontinued that kid's pack. Here's one on ebay that's a 65. It might be a little big right now, but he could grow into it and you're not going to overload the kid anyways.

Access Denied

OP
Retterath

Retterath

WKR
We went on some all day outings and he loves caring a multitool and having a compass. He also carries my old i phone for pics and loves it. He has put on 5 miles with me one day and not once did he want to go home, but i made it fun for him such as had a lot of snacks and made a fire. Im hoping this will really excite him to camp out a night. He keeps asking when we are gonna do it.

Paradactal

Lil-Rokslider
I started my 12yr old with a Badlands reactor day pack. It was enough for him to carry snacks, water, jacket, and a full days worth of small gear. You could get pretty creative and add a few other things without weighing him down to much. It was perfect for him. We tied his bow on the back. I got one for my 6yr old who loves it as well. He uses it scout with me and it fits him perfect with a ton of room to grow. Super light and durable. He will use that pack for a while. I actually found the second Reactor here on Rokslide for $40. I would absolutely recommend that pack if you can find a used one at a good price> Life time warranty on all Badlands.

hodgeman

WKR
Started my son out with an Osprey kid's pack- worked really well and he packed out part of his first caribou with it before outgrowing it and moving on.

Like others mentioned- keep the weight a low percentage of body weight. I usually had my son carry his sleeping bag and pad (big volume but relatively low weight) and some water. He'd take a multi tool and a headlamp and a few snacks.

Do remember that kids sleep a lot colder than adults, so go colder on a bag than you would for yourself.

OP
Retterath

Retterath

WKR
I'm looking for cold weather bag but now one that weights a lot and is super expensive. I think thats about impossible to find one like that. lol
Bow hunting in south dakota doesn't start here till end of sept so I'm trying to find a bag that will keep him warm

My son is 7, almost 8 as well. He started coming on overnight scouting / backpacking trips last year when he was 6. I got him a 30 liter Deuter kids pack. It has a lot of adjustment and good capacity. He runs a 2L Platy Hoser in it for hydration. I got him a 20° Kelty down bag (adult) and a kids size Klymit air pad. He has his own Sawyer mini filter, MSR pocket rocket, and carries most of his own food. He does very well until early October when the early AM Temps get too cold for him. I also got him some Lowa kids boots and kids merino socks. I like scouring and hunting with him better than anyone else. He loves optics and has really learned how to pick animals out well. Good luck with your child's gear, teaching them to hunt is an opportunity that very few are blessed enough to participate in.

ScottinPA

WKR
Good thread. My youngest is 9, be 10 shortly. The last few weeks he's really expressed interested in going with me to check trail cameras, hike, workout, etc. Friday he wanted to go on a hike and I wanted to try out my new Kifaru and boots so we went on a 1.25mile trek in 6-12 inches of snow. Had fun but were a little whooped. Next camera is a 3.4 mile trek and we may do it this afternoon or next weekend. He wants his own pack to go on an "adventure". Sounds like a few overnighters on the ANF are in my future.

clip

FNG
I'm looking for cold weather bag but now one that weights a lot and is super expensive. I think thats about impossible to find one like that. lol
Bow hunting in south dakota doesn't start here till end of sept so I'm trying to find a bag that will keep him warm

He probably doesn't produce enough core heat on his own at that age, a few hot hands might be enough to get his bag warmed up, or just an extra layer, down booties etc. I used the double sleeping bag system gave them some extra body heat. I haven't needed a new bag in some time but will probably go with a wiggy system next.

WKR
Hot water bottles work wonders in a bag. High Cal snacks right before bed help too.

I'm not a father but I spent a few years dragging kids through the woods professionally. One thing that can happen is that they will regress sometimes. A ten year old can become a bed wetter again..... Be prepared for that, have the talk about not holding it all night.

Worst trip ever was a group of 10-14 year old girls. It's true what they say about women's cycles aligning. Frighteningly true. As a 28 year old man I was not prepared for Backcountry Shark Week.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I wouldn't spend big dollars on a a high end kid bag unless you have four or five that will grow into it after he grows out of it in a year and a half to two years. Strap a quilt over his cheap bag that you tossed a nalgene of hot water into the foot. He'll be toasty.

Big Nasty

Lil-Rokslider
My 8 yr old has the deuter fox 40 kids pack and my 11 yr old has the 50l osprey kids pack. Both work great and fit a kids frame really well. Agreed with the above posts, lower the weight and keep the pace slower. A big big thing is good footwear for them and have them broke in well before the trip. Can't tell you how many times I've heard my feet are sore, until I learnt this lesson. My 11 yr old is a walking beast and every time out gets stronger and stronger. A huge difference from my 8 yr old but he always tries and keeps up to his older brother which helps out a lot. Make it fun and enjoy the time, I never got out with my Dad because he worked so much, I appreciate this time together tremendously.

I got my daughter the Dueter Fox 40 pack. I don't put very much in her pack at all. It is easier for me to recover from carrying a few extra pounds than it is for her to recover. I also found that she hiked much better if she had some music to listen to, so she carries an old phone and listens to music. When she isn't listening to music, I try to keep the conversation flowing. This helps keep her "distracted" from the hike. She also uses the phone for pics, I think she took almost 1,000 pics in a 4 day trip. It kept her busy and happy and not thinking about how tired she was. We have done two backpacking trips, a 4 night trip and a 3 night trip, and she can't wait to go again this summer.

Skeeter

FNG
My son is 8 and I got him the Deuter Fox 40 as well. With the adjustable frame he should be able to use it for several years. Seems like a pretty decent pack.