Helinox Chair Zero vs. REI Flex-Lite

willidru

WKR
I was at an REI yesterday and sat on all these chairs. While I don't have a strong opinion on the Helinox vs REI brands, I can say my several year old Helinox original is still perfect and has never let me down.

I took a good long sit in the Helinox Swivel Chair and was completely impressed with it. 100% as stable as my current chair and the swivel works flawlessly. I'm seriously considering it.

I did the exact same thing last week and had the same opinion. The height of the swivel seems ideal to glass with. Not ultra light, but I have some hunts that I don't have to hike more than a mile to glass. I know there is a considerable weight savings for the zero and the REI version, but are they comfortable enough for long glassing sessions. My guess is this is one of those deals where I get stuck buying both :)

outdoor_matt

Lil-Rokslider
I just bought a helinox chair one and plan on packing it in pretty far, at least a couple miles. For me I like to think the extra weight will be worth it, not just for glassing, but for relaxing around the fire. I know a lot of guys are oz counters, and I am certainly no expert, but whatever keeps me out there longer, and where I should be, is worth it. Does anyone else backpack a chair in miles for hunting? I'm curious as to if people think it is worth it or not.

Matt, longest trip that the girlfriend and I packed ours in was about 8 miles last year, but we took them on every trip after we got them. I'll admit I was a little skeptical, but for as small as they pack and for no more than they weigh, sitting in a chair beats the shit out of sitting on the ground, a log, or rock!

dotman

WKR
I did the exact same thing last week and had the same opinion. The height of the swivel seems ideal to glass with. Not ultra light, but I have some hunts that I don't have to hike more than a mile to glass. I know there is a considerable weight savings for the zero and the REI version, but are they comfortable enough for long glassing sessions. My guess is this is one of those deals where I get stuck buying both :)

I think the zero is worth it, anything is more comfortable then the ground :)

outdoor_matt

Lil-Rokslider
Matt, longest trip that the girlfriend and I packed ours in was about 8 miles last year, but we took them on every trip after we got them. I'll admit I was a little skeptical, but for as small as they pack and for no more than they weigh, sitting in a chair beats the shit out of sitting on the ground, a log, or rock!
Thanks for the tip! That's kind of what I was thinking but it's good to know other guys think the extra weight is worth it.

I bought my dad a helinox for xmas last year and he loves it. Yesterday I was at BJs which is like a Costco or sams club and they had a knock off brand for 24.99. It's a bit heavier than the helinox but at the end of the day I think a seat off the ground will. Exreally nice. It'll also be nice to sit in while on stand for deer.

Yotekiller

Lil-Rokslider
Whats everyone's opinions on a chair like these where you are up off the ground vs a field chair using trekking poles for a back support? I spent a lot of time in the tent last year and did a lot of glassing. It would have been nice to be able to sit down and lean back on something. I've never used any of them.

JDZ

WKR
Does anyone else backpack a chair in miles for hunting? I'm curious as to if people think it is worth it or not.

I have both the Chair One and the REI chair. I thought I would use one for glassing, but really haven't used it for that. But, having a chair with a back at the end of the day where I can eat my Mountain House is great. I consider myself an ounce-counter, but a chair is one thing I will bring for comfort. I used to bring a stool, but the chair is way better.

I like the Chair One better than the Flex Lite, but I'm interested in the Chair Zero if it would save me 14 oz.

Johnboy

WKR
I have the Helinox Chair One, and it weighs 2 lbs 1.6 oz (2.10 lbs) by my measurement (including carrying case). REI's website states the Helinox Ground Chair weigh as 1 lb 6.6 oz (1.41 lbs), which is about 11 oz lighter than the Chair One. Just food for thought for those looking to shed a little carrying weight.

Whats everyone's opinions on a chair like these where you are up off the ground vs a field chair using trekking poles for a back support? I spent a lot of time in the tent last year and did a lot of glassing. It would have been nice to be able to sit down and lean back on something. I've never used any of them.

I have both and prefer the field chair for a lot of situations while hunting for the lower profile, but the Helinox is much more comfortable around camp and is actually better for hunting when trying to do a ground blind setup in some underbrush. Where I hunt we have a lot of waist high sagebrush so a taller chair is perfect for those situations when trying to set up along a game trail or something and just have your head barely popping above the brush.

TLDR, I like both and carry both at times. They each have their benefits for certain situations.

"Nope, have to use Photobucket vs direct load. "
So I have to make an account at another site to use this one? That would not have occurred to me.

Sorry for posting a broken link. I didn't realize that others couldn't see it. It's too bad. They're funny pics.

8175dbf5052d3a9f43b38f51fa27384b.jpg

On my scale:
Helinox - 17.3oz - no carry sack
REI - 25.2oz - no carry bag

Not a lot of difference between the 2 size wise. The bulk of the weight is in the frame as the fabric is within 1.5oz between the 2. The Helinox is about 2" lower, a little more upright and 1" narrower between the front pole supports.

Overall I think the REI is more comfortable, just a little.