Best knive sharpner

Lawnboi

WKR
Depends on the edge you want.

At home a wicked edge is awesome. Stones are also great. Sand paper and strop is good too for convex edges, which all of my knives currently are.

In the field a couple pieces of sandpaper is pretty light.

I cringe when I see people run a knife through one of those hand held sharpeners. Once a good edge is established, a strop or sandpaper is all it takes to keep my knives popping hair.

I had to try the redi edge after taking a look. At home I use the Ken onion work sharp. Works great and I also have the little pocket work sharp. I like that but it's a bit heavy so I don't pack it.

GKPrice

Banned
AccuSharp - the white one with blue handguard - been working just fine for me for a lot of years and animals, but now it's Havalon all the way

For home I have used the KME for years and really like the edge I get. The only downside is that it's time consuming. I got a Worksharp Ken Onion this year and really like it. It's just so much faster to get things done than with the KME. However, it does seem to remove more material from the blade than the KME, so I wonder if it will be the better solution long term.

In the field I use to carry a small diamond stone, but now that I use a Havalon exclusively I don't carry a sharpener anymore.

MCR

FNG
I use the KME at home. Best knife sharpener made in my opinion. But for a quick touch up or in the field the yellow Smiths sharpener Trout Bum mentioned is all I use. Gets a razor sharp edge in seconds. They are so cheap I buy a bunch of them and give them to all my hunting buddies to put in their pack. I also like to keep a Havelon knife in my pack at all times. I have the Worksharp as well but it takes off too much steel. If someone wants it I'll sell it to you.

If your really serious about getting a sharp edge at home get a belt grinder and buffing wheel. But if your not making blades it's overkill.
Just heard on a podcast that is what benchmade uses for their sharpening service

mcseal2

WKR
I only carry a ceramic steel I got from Cabelas in the field. It weighs 2.5oz and touches up my knife just fine. I use it at home on the blades for my Outdoor Edge replacable blade knife and it gets them right back to shaving sharp also.

Most hunts I like to have a fixed blade instead of just the replaceable blade knife. If I'm really counting ounces I might go with just the Outdoor Edge and some extra blades, if not it's the Cabelas ceramic steel and my Battle Horse knives Blackwater.

I take a Smith's sharpener kit or Spyderco sharpmaker in the vehicle I can use if I really abuse a blade, but mostly only use it at home. I have the Worksharp electric sharpener but it seems to take more steel and round the tips more than I like on the hunting knives. I mostly use it for kitchen stuff and bigger blades like machetes now, take the time to do my hunting knives by hand.

I carry a DC3 and a flexxx pocket strop. Gets me through everything i need with only a small weight penalty.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Emill

FNG
My buddy picked up an Edge Pro a year ago. I started sending him my knives to sharpen as it does an amazing job. You can lock the knife in place, every pass with a dimond stone is exactly the same bevel. Pro 3 Kit - Professional Model Edge Pro Sharpening System | Edge Pro Inc..

I'm a carpenter by trade and know what sharp blades do and how to get them there.

I couldn't justify the price tag and I wouldn't bring it in the feild. I find my havalon to do a great job.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

boom

WKR
in the field i only use one. my Accusharp.

seems that most of my wetwork in the field is with fading light and it's about to get cold. the accusharp is one thing first...safe. (if you use it right) second..it works kickass. you can feel the striations of a dull blade on the first few pulls and phoosh..all of a sudden the pulls are silky smooth. your blade is now sharp. my hands can be bloody and slippery, but i am confident on using that tool safely.

i think i got mine for $12 and it weighs almost nothing. debatable bulk tho..

boom

WKR
at home..haha..i am dumb. i am trying to master the japanese waterstone. some cussing involved there.

boom

WKR
i boned a goat yesterday...

wait..that reads out-loud horribly!!.

i boned out a portion of store bought goat yesterday. i used a my kitchen boning knife which mysterious was left dull as hell. i suspect the love of my life that lives with me and just broke down a bunch of cardboard boxes.

i stared at my waterstones and lost steam right there. dug thru my pack, found the Accusharp and put a wicked edge on that thing. i did strop it on leather as well. it is so easy and idiot proof.

goat meat is kinda good. very mild, like venison.