Esse Knives

Just finished listening to the latest Gitty Bowmen podcast. At the end Snyder goes over a knife he is now using, the ESEE Izula.

I am looking on the ESEE site and the Izula is around 2.0oz and the Izula II (has more of a grip) is 3.2oz...they look like pretty sweet options over what I am carrying as a fixed blade now.

I am considering trying the Izula II, does anyone have any input on these?

I found the Izula II pretty cheap on Amazon compared to what other retailers have it listed for...might be worth a shot just to try something new.
Amazon.com : ESEE Desert Tan Izula II w/ Sheath : Fixed Blade Camping Knives : Sports & Outdoors

PNWGATOR

WKR
My youngest son has several Esee knives and has used/abused the heck out of them and they've held up great. He's used them for the past 5 yrs camping, hunting and generally how a kid who'll be 18 on Friday would have used a knife during that timeframe. Value for the dollar they're fantastic.

US made knife for $50 with a bombproof warranty. not much bad you can say about them. skeletonized handles can get uncomfortable if you've got to use them for an extended period of time but they sure clean up easy.

I've been a huge fan of esee for a long time. I've got an Izulu, candiru and an esee 4. I carry the candiru almost daily and love it. All 3 are amazingly well made knives.

When I purchased all mine they only offered 1095 carbon steel, so if your not carful the edge will rust on you. I believe they offer other steals as well though now.

They have been saying they were planning on making a folder as well but it's been years and nothing has materialized.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the Izulu, I got the skeleton grip and then wrapped 550 cord in a pattern (that I believe came with the knife). It's a great EDC knife, and i use it for just about everything while hiking or camping.

LBFowler

WKR
I love the Izula II form factor, but I hate how thick the blade is. I've been considering getting an ESEE 3 and cutting the handle down to Izula size since it has thinner blade stock.

Big time ESEE user here. Izula 2 is better the the izula in my opinion... the longer handle is worth it. Great neck knife. Good for animals. Dale at the Knife connection makes some great g10 handles too if you are into modding at all. Careful of ordering through amazon... be sure to verify the seller... there are several counterfeit dealers out there. Im active on the ESEE forum and there are threads on counterfeiters.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

OP
B
Big time ESEE user here. Izula 2 is better the the izula in my opinion... the longer handle is worth it. Great neck knife. Good for animals. Dale at the Knife connection makes some great g10 handles too if you are into modding at all. Careful of ordering through amazon... be sure to verify the seller... there are several counterfeit dealers out there. Im active on the ESEE forum and there are threads on counterfeiters.

Thanks, the amazon purchase was with Prime, so they will take it back free of charge if it isn't legit, but I do appreciate the heads up on counterfeit concerns. Is there a certain way to tell if it is legit or not?

Pierrebuiltknives

Lil-Rokslider
1095 steel is garbage. I like the knife designs but they need to expand their steel selection. Someone with some seay should pitch it to them.

1095 steel is garbage. I like the knife designs but they need to expand their steel selection. Someone with some seay should pitch it to them.
1095 is perfect for their use... easily maintained in the field, and super tough. Will rust but any steel will. More is dependant on heat treat then steel type... and rowan has their HT down pat.

Lawnboi

WKR
My opinion on esse is that they are not worth the price they ask. The steel is good, takes an easy edge and is fairly tough.

I dislike the coating, and they rust just by looking at them, not just the edge, but all the engraving in the coating.

That said I use a candiru with scales all the time, it's probably my most used knife. All he engraving is rusted. The edge needed help, it's now got a convex edge, and I had to spend more money for a kydex sheath, but it's small, fits perfect in a pocket and the shape is perfect for a lot of uses

Pierrebuiltknives

Lil-Rokslider
My opinion on esse is that they are not worth the price they ask. The steel is good, takes an easy edge and is fairly tough.

I dislike the coating, and they rust just by looking at them, not just the edge, but all the engraving in the coating.

That said I use a candiru with scales all the time, it's probably my most used knife. All he engraving is rusted. The edge needed help, it's now got a convex edge, and I had to spend more money for a kydex sheath, but it's small, fits perfect in a pocket and the shape is perfect for a lot of uses
The rust is caused by the steel being crappy. So corrosion resistence is a factor of the steel. So I would say steel is not so good.
I could care less how easy a knife is to sharpen if it does not get dull in the first place. Corrosion causes dulling.

Lawnboi

WKR
I don't agree about rusting being a sign of crappy steel. Iv got a hand full of carbon steel blades that are awesome, but require more care than stainless. They will oxidize if they are not wiped down after use. It's just almost unavoidable with esse with the coating and engraving.

Stripping the coating and forcing a patina is an option though.

Pierrebuiltknives

Lil-Rokslider
I don't agree about rusting being a sign of crappy steel. Iv got a hand full of carbon steel blades that are awesome, but require more care than stainless. They will oxidize if they are not wiped down after use. It's just almost unavoidable with esse with the coating and engraving.

Stripping the coating and forcing a patina is an option though.
Carbon steel is like saying I have a compound Bow. All carbon steels are not the same. 1095 is low IE 1990 compound. I have 3V knives I can cut cinder blocks with also comsidered a carbon tool steel. None stainless but has 7% chrominum.

3v rusts too... i have both... any steel rusts. Any steel s a compromise in either corrosion, roughness, or edge retention. Proper care must be applied to any cutting tool.

Lawnboi

WKR
My white blue and A2 steel knives will rust just as quick as 1095 if I let them. Like I said I think it's he coating on the esse knives that AIDS I. Rusting by holding moisture

I have one. It is a small knife in terms of blade length. I like it but don't feel like it offers much advantage over a strong folder like a ZT or Strider or even a buck or spyderco. For camp chores and bushcraft I would want something a bit more lengthy. There 4 is a favorite of mine. 4-5 more oz and much much more knife. The 5 is like a pry bar with an edge. Too heavy and chunky.