OnX map app vs Garmin OnX map chip

TheCougar

WKR
I've got the OnX maps on my phone, but I have no experience with the Garmin chip. I'm going to Wyoming and trying to figure out if I need the chip, or if my iPhone OnX app will provide the same information. I'm going to a limited public land access unit, so I need the best road and landowner information possible, but I'd like to avoid the GPS if the information on the chip is redundant compare to what is on my phone. Does anyone have experience and can tell me how the app and the chip differ (even better if it is Wyoming specific)? Thanks

EsteemGrinders

Lil-Rokslider
Okay please, forgive me put did you try the search function. This same question has been brought up many times on here and many other places. Anyways to me there not even close. The chip sucks compared to the app.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
Okay please, forgive me put did you try the search function. This same question has been brought up many times on here and many other places. Anyways to me there not even close. The chip sucks compared to the app.

I'll take a link if you've got it. I searched the forums and didn't find the answer to this specific question: does the app and the chip show the same fidelity for landownership, names, borders, etc? Is there any reason or benefit to use the chip compared to the app?

Dameon

WKR
The app is better. Just download all the maps for offline use beforehand. Also, invest in a good battery pack charging system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

svivian

WKR
As long as the app is for the state you are hunting you can download all the information could possibly need to your phone and use the app without service. If you don't download the area you'll be in though you are shit out of luck.

The only way I would ever take the phone app over the gps chip is if I know with 100% positivity that I can and will have a GOOD cell signal (even then it would be hard). If not, gps all the way. I'd rather give up some "nice to have " features such as all the cool layers and such and be able to definitively know where I stand, given the choice. Especially if there are private/public property to navigate. I really like the fact that the gps does not rely on a cell signal and therefore is not subject to fail because of it. If you are like most of us on here, you never know where your hunt will take you. Out of cell coverage??? I've also done the download the map tiles thing too. It failed, not worth it in the field (not once, but multiple times and multiple states). At home online? I think it's a fantastic tool for western hunting, I use it all the time.:) My $0.02

does the app and the chip show the same fidelity for landownership, names, borders, etc? Is there any reason or benefit to use the chip compared to the app?

In my experience boundaries/borders are the same. I believe if there is a difference, it would be negligible.

Davebuech

WKR
Phone apps work great but just like Dameon said get a charger. My batteries in my GPS last a LOT longer than my phone. Especially when running an app....sucks up battery. Good if you can recharge every night but if not, my suggestion is stick to GPS, or take both.

The app is better. Just download all the maps for offline use beforehand. Also, invest in a good battery pack charging system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

svivian

WKR
The only way I would ever take the phone app over the gps chip is if I know with 100% positivity that I can and will have a GOOD cell signal (even then it would be hard). If not, gps all the way. I'd rather give up some "nice to have " features such as all the cool layers and such and be able to definitively know where I stand, given the choice. Especially if there are private/public property to navigate. I really like the fact that the gps does not rely on a cell signal and therefore is not subject to fail because of it. If you are like most of us on here, you never know where your hunt will take you. Out of cell coverage??? I've also done the download the map tiles thing too. It failed, not worth it in the field (not once, but multiple times and multiple states). At home online? I think it's a fantastic tool for western hunting, I use it all the time.:) My $0.02

Your phone doesn't rely on cell signal to pick up gps. It has the same receiver as most gps units. I'm not sure if you have tried the app offline recently but in the last two years I have never had issues with saved maps.

Your phone doesn't rely on cell signal to pick up gps. It has the same receiver as most gps units. I'm not sure if you have tried the app offline recently but in the last two years I have never had issues with saved maps.

I realize that the gps signal is not dependent on cell service. All of my said experience was this last season and was with a good, new, up to date Samsung Galaxy S phone. Believe me, I really wanted to love it. I just didn't have good experiences with it and for that, I can't trust it. Luckily, on my Wyoming mule deer hunt my buddy had a Garmin 650T. We would have been screwed without it. It worked 100% of the time.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR

Thanks gentlemen! I will go with the app instead of the chip and same some money. I have used my phone for years (Trimble, onX, Gaia) instead of a standalone gps for several years and have never regretted it. I do have an anker battery pack that gives me 4 full charges of my cell phone, so that isn't an issue. I've never had an issue with signal acquisition or accuracy and the interface and multi functionality of the cell phone wins out every time! Cheers!

Fishty206

Lil-Rokslider
Onx is capable of updates and the huntview is not. I think if you can get a good deal on a garmin chip it's worth it. But full price I'd pay for onx if need be.