Gear Test

OP
mfllood3800
I have a LO stove for my redcliffe but decided to try a small Iso lantern for both light and to see how much heat it puts out.
If enough for the late Aug and early Sept hunts I will be happy. I am not expecting it to heat me out, just cut the chill in 40-50 degree mornings. The lantern for this purpose causes me to have to carry another iso canister.
I may or may not continue with this idea
Here is the lantern I got:

Amazon.com : VAlinks BL300-F2 Ultralight Camping Gas Lantern : Gaz Lantern : Sports & Outdoors

At $27 and only 7 oz- figured let's try it

OP
mfllood3800
Seeking for a light source- I looked at noodle lights, rope lights etc
These are cool and may get one, with an optional in line usb on/off switch for easier access to the switch in the dark.

But I found this cool little lantern that I thought, here is another piece in my cheap price range
lol

here is this little gem:
Amazon.com : Suaoki Camping Lantern Led Light Flashlight Powered By 3AA Batteries Collapsible Ultra Compact Great for Hiking Camping Tent Garden Patio etc (Orange) : Sports & Outdoors

At $10 and only 4 oz, a light that uses 3 AAA batteries also offered me a place to carry 3 extra AAA batteries for my spare head lamp or vice versa
:)

Stretched out this is plenty bright.
I removed the plastic handle , accidently, trying to mess with it, so I installed serving string as a handle and made it long enough to hang lower so I can reach it while sitting up, then string it higher when needed.

OP
mfllood3800
And no hike in would be complete with out a head lamp.
I have 2 high powered types (Fenix) and keep one in camp, and one in my pack for tracking after dark, but this one takes up no space or weight in my pack:
Amazon.com: Browning Night Seeker Cap Light: Sports & Outdoors

At $10 why not and I like the additional green color better than red- just my preference, and I always wear a hat any way- so why not
Extra batteries are CR2032, 3v. , but these Lithium powered batteries incl are long lifed

Dameon

WKR
Eddie Baur

A lot of people, myself included, usually think of Eddie Baur as a mall rat store catering to hipster wannabe mountain men. I was wrong. As it turns out, the technical clothing they sell is rather high quality and they have excellent customer service with a great return policy. When they run their sales (which is basically on a monthly basis), you can pick up non-camo clothes that will do what you need affordably......and with a bit of style. So here are some reviews of several items that I wear on a routine basis and would wear on the mountain if I wasn't an ASAT nut:

Eddie Baur Guide Pro Pants: These are very similar in concept to First Lite Corrugate Guides and Prana Stretch Zions. They are a stretchy DWR treated nylon pant with zippered cargo pockets. They are not as thick or as stretchy as the FL and Prana's, but they don't cost as much either. I have 4 that I wear everyday to work, doing yard work, shooting at the range, etc and have yet to bust a seam, tear a hole, or find any flaw besides the screen printed "First Ascent" logo rubbing off. So I do recommend them. You can get them in several colors with a few being earth tone hunter friendly. They are regularly priced around $90, but they often go on sale for less than $60.

Eddie Baur Guide Pro Convertible Pants: Same as above but with zip off legs. These things are awesome and are my favorite pant. The zippers do not rub my knees raw and if I overheat, I just crack the legs open a bit and I'm good to go. It only comes in two colors, both are hunter friendly. If EB offers them in more colors, I'll buy more. They are usually priced $10 more than the regular Guide Pro pants, but they can be found on sale at the same price as the regular guides every now and then.

Downlight Hooded Field Jacket: This one only comes in black, but if you are in search of a more rugged treated down puffy that you can wear under your pack and not worry about ripping it to shreds, this is a good choice. This is not the lightest puffy, not even close, but what it lacks in lightness, it makes up for in toughness and warmth. The shell has patches of cordura nylon on the sleeves, shoulders, and across the lower back to protect the jacket from getting torn up by your pack or when trying to squeeze through timber. The patches work well. The rest of the shell is some kind of nylon like pertex and will tear if you are not careful just like any other puffy (I snagged mine right above the pocket and created a tiny hole in the shell that was leaking feathers like nothing else). The jacket is very warm and wind resistant except for the zipper. It does not have a draft collar, so I do get a bit of a breeze going through there. I walk a mile to work everyday and wore mine all winter in rain, snow, and very high winds from 10 degrees all the way up to 60. When it is one sale, I think it is a great bargain for what you are getting. This review holds true for the Microtherm version as well, and that version comes in hunter friendly colors.

How I fix small pin holes in puffy jackets: If you get a small pin hole in your puffy and want something that looks better than a piece of tenacious tape, try 3D puffy paint from the crafts section at Wal-Mart. It comes in many colors and you can probably find one that matches the color of your favorite puffy quite well. To do the repair, first lay out your jacket on a flat surface that you can leave the jacket on overnight. Carefully stuff the insulation back into the coat with a pencil tip. Shake the living snot out of the 3D puffy paint and then apply a small dab just inside of the hole and just enough that the hole is sealed on the inside. The puffy paint will literally puff out a bit as it dries and will form a permanent patch to your jacket that will still be water and wind tight. Do not move your jacket and let it dry and cure overnight. It will be good to go in the morning and the hole won't even be noticeable and will even be machine washable.

Dameon

WKR
I used this lantern last year and loved it. It collapses into itself so you don't have to worry about breaking the lens. It is rechargeable, has a usb port to use as an extra power bank for charging your phone, and it has a space for 3 AA batteries for back up power. The light can switch between white and red and has adjustable brightness for the white light.

Amazon.com : Rechargeable Camping Lantern, Etekcity Upgraded LED lantern with Magnetic Base, 4400mah USB Power Bank (Black) : Sports & Outdoors

Seeking for a light source- I looked at noodle lights, rope lights etc
These are cool and may get one, with an optional in line usb on/off switch for easier access to the switch in the dark.

But I found this cool little lantern that I thought, here is another piece in my cheap price range
lol

here is this little gem:
Amazon.com : Suaoki Camping Lantern Led Light Flashlight Powered By 3AA Batteries Collapsible Ultra Compact Great for Hiking Camping Tent Garden Patio etc (Orange) : Sports & Outdoors

At $10 and only 4 oz, a light that uses 3 AAA batteries also offered me a place to carry 3 extra AAA batteries for my spare head lamp or vice versa
:)

Stretched out this is plenty bright.
I removed the plastic handle , accidently, trying to mess with it, so I installed serving string as a handle and made it long enough to hang lower so I can reach it while sitting up, then string it higher when needed.

SunShine

Lil-Rokslider
Yes most coleman reviews say they keep ice for 5-6 days, simply due to the huge size of the 100 or 120 qt. But the handles are cheap and break even when unloaded. The Yeti and the RTIC and even the Canyon are out of my price range. I would think any 120 qt chest which holds enough ice should by sheer size keep itself cold enough long enough.
I might be cheap, but for $160 I can get 2 120 Qt ice chests that I believe will work for 2 elk, definitely 1.

If I could just go get a RTIC I would, but I need a better spotter first, maybe a more mountaineering boot, and a decent insulated outer.
Would love a Yeti or RTIC- hopefully next year

My purpose for this thread was to maybe highlight decent gear other than the proven and highly popular, saving $$ along the way, while also doing the job efficiently.

My original idea was "What isn't working" but have no desire to be negative and felt this site was better served finding the diamonds in the rough out there

Thanks so much for the input so far

RTIC doesn't even make anything bigger than a 65 quart. I paid $125 for mine I think when they went on sale.

I own 3 Coleman Xtreme coolers. For the money, can't be beat. I still feel the need for a RTIC and or Yeti for certain items.

When I head out for the weekend, I'll use 4 coolers and 1 soft pak. 2 coolers just for extra ice, the other 2 for food and drinks. My biggest cooler is 72 quart. But I don't hunt moose or elk, but I do boar and deer.

I'm not sure Coleman makes an Xtreme bigger than 72 quart ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
mfllood3800
Here is my head lamp - Fenix

Fenix HP25R Rechargeable LED Flashlight 1000 Lumen Headlamp, Spotlight Flood-Beam Red-Light with 18650 Rechargeable Battery and LegionArms USB charging cord - - Amazon.com

I normally use zebra, black diamond and such. This is my first big bright head lamp and I love it.

Pros:
Battery life is incredible at lower lumen range.
recharges with a standard micro usb cord

Cons:
Light is a bit bulky and pricey at $80, but way better than the 200-400 lumen head lamps.
I bought the additional battery to just swap out and save my big recharging battery for my phone, Go Pro

Funny- shortly after I got this my wife got me a similar one for my B-day. I haven't yet tried it but she said it was around $50- same set up configuration, except uses AA batteries. That light went in my Camp pull out bag and all my smaller 200-300 head lamps are omitted from usage until further notice.

OP
mfllood3800
Sunshine
Coleman makes a 100 and 120 in the "extreme" model line
I currently have one of each in my Amazon cart-
Hint: if you put an item in your cart, the price sometimes changes (both up and down) and often I save $$ by being patient.

I had a Delorme in reach SE in there and it was at $349, but I got a notice it dropped to $300, I almost got it, but just couldn't spend the $$
The wife then said, you better get that if you're hunting alone in Idaho this year.
arghhh
too late it went right back up to the $349
If I do get the delorme, I will be selling my Garmin 62st to help offset that cost. I like the Delorme SE as it is a 2 in 1 item.

NDGuy

WKR
Eddie Baur

A lot of people, myself included, usually think of Eddie Baur as a mall rat store catering to hipster wannabe mountain men. I was wrong. As it turns out, the technical clothing they sell is rather high quality and they have excellent customer service with a great return policy. When they run their sales (which is basically on a monthly basis), you can pick up non-camo clothes that will do what you need affordably......and with a bit of style. So here are some reviews of several items that I wear on a routine basis and would wear on the mountain if I wasn't an ASAT nut:

Eddie Baur Guide Pro Pants: These are very similar in concept to First Lite Corrugate Guides and Prana Stretch Zions. They are a stretchy DWR treated nylon pant with zippered cargo pockets. They are not as thick or as stretchy as the FL and Prana's, but they don't cost as much either. I have 4 that I wear everyday to work, doing yard work, shooting at the range, etc and have yet to bust a seam, tear a hole, or find any flaw besides the screen printed "First Ascent" logo rubbing off. So I do recommend them. You can get them in several colors with a few being earth tone hunter friendly. They are regularly priced around $90, but they often go on sale for less than $60.

I just bought the guide pro pants a few weeks ago and I have been impressed so far. I will be using these for a lot more than hunting. Hell of a pant for the money (got mine 50% off was like $48).

What colors did you buy? I bought the Saddle and will probably pick up the Charcoal next. Those were the only two colors I had at my store so was curious if other colors could be used for hunting.

Dameon

WKR
I just bought the guide pro pants a few weeks ago and I have been impressed so far. I will be using these for a lot more than hunting. Hell of a pant for the money (got mine 50% off was like $48).

What colors did you buy? I bought the Saddle and will probably pick up the Charcoal next. Those were the only two colors I had at my store so was curious if other colors could be used for hunting.

I have charcoal, saddle, and slate green. Saddle and slate green would be perfect for hunting. I called customer service a few months ago to request the convertible guide pro pants in slate green. They told me they plan on releasing more colors but didn't give me specifics.

jljmonky

FNG
I use a Static V too now, the price point was right through sportsmansguide when I was shopping. I am interested in the pillow though, wanted to toss out a pointer, I have found that a few daubs of silnet seam sealer on pads helps them not slip and slide. I use a windshield reflector with most of my pads as an additional heat reflector in cold temps and put dots of silicone on one side, that side "marries" up to the other pad or sleeping bag and they don't slip apart that way.

Glad this thread started, quick and easy reference for new kit.

OP
mfllood3800
I saw a video on the reflective - I think it was Randy N. I went to Amazon to check it out and it was too pricey. I then found myself in a dollar general store and there it was for like $3. My original idea was a spotting pad, but now with a dual purpose of sleeping ground cover to go with my Tyvek- win win.
Godd tips on the silicone as well.

OP
mfllood3800
For the nasty bugs
Amazon.com : Repel 94100 Sportsmen 30-Percent Deet Mosquito Repellent Wipes, 15 Count : Home Pest Repellents : Patio, Lawn & Garden

light weight and packable, affordable
works for biters of multiple types

Cant tell you how many times I just suffered and got sunburned.
Here is a totally packable and affordable solution- and it is scent free and from Dead Down Wind:

Amazon.com : Dead Down Wind SPF 30 3-in-1 Stick, White : Hunting Scent Eliminators : Sports & Outdoors

For cleaning the stink without perfume smell this is a must:
Amazon.com: Wildlife Research Scent Killer Gold Body Wash and Shampoo, (12-Ounce): Sports & Outdoors
I like that it is a body/hair cleaner all in one, sure I can do socks and underwear as well- win win win

Toothbrush, all in one kit, most probably already have a brand type of this but this is what I got:
Amazon.com: Toob Toothbrush: Sports & Outdoors

I am dehydrating my own meals this year so I got these vacuum pack bags.
These are cheap and I can hydrate right in them

Amazon.com: Vacuum Sealer Bags Roll. Super Heavy Duty, 12mil Thick, 3x Stronger Than Competitors! Works On Any Clamp Style Vacuum Machine. Good for Sous Vide Cooking, Freezing, Boiling & More (2, 8''x50'): Kitchen & Dining

OP
mfllood3800
I budgeted on many items, the ones I felt safe I could skimp on.
But some items I just wouldn't, the risk to have discomfort or failure was too high- For Me personally, everyone is different.

Here is my heavy large expensive pillow, but well worth it to me:
Amazon.com : Therm-a-Rest Compressible Pillow Denim Large : Camping Pillows : Sports & Outdoors

Pros: comfy and big
Folds into itself
Fluffs up AFTER you wash it and let it air dry

Cons: heavy, big, pricey

Other items I didn't skimp on were:

Seek outside Tipi
Redcliff Pyramid Tent by Seek Outside
Pros: 2 doors, built in vent, square fast set up, light, carbon pole, light weight stakes, huge for 1 guy, great for 2 and doable for 3, stake tight or leave room for venting

cons: $$$, at $800 its pricey but in line with many others out there.

Lite Outdoors Titanium stove
LiteOutdoors Titanium Stove
Brennen at Lite Outdoors is the best, he was helpful when I had an issue as well as totally sold out for the customer

Pros: light, cheaper than others, sets up fast, packs small, baffle system prevents heat loss and embers from getting on tent ( once you figure this out it works great)
cons: does leak at times, really needs 4 threaded bolts to keep all parts tight, front door warped, due to me having the original burn in with the baffle set in, but Brennen sent me a new front plate quickly

Kifaru Frame and pack
Hunting Packs
Aron saw one of my posts and replied with his cell # which I called and he actually answered it and personally walked me thru what I needed for a perfect fit- how is that for a customer driven company policy !!

- I bought a system new- AMR and the Tahr for different types of hunting
- I also bought a used AMR and Gen 2 Duplex - this used frame allows me to have a Tahr set up for my Utah day hunt up to 3 dayers. and I got it at a steal of a price, and then I have an extra AMR if someone hunts with me when I do a 7 day and they can haul in tons of gear as well,

My sleeping bag unfortunately don't have a link to but here is one very close to mine. I got mine for $40 and used it here in Utah in Feb and it was awesome:
Rainier 3.5lb Zero Degree Mummy Sleeping Bag: Shopko
My version was only 3 lbs as well.

Pros: cheap cheap cheap, packs small, light weight and decent size

cons: wish it was a bit bigger

All my clothing is First Lite
http://www.firstlite.com/products/2017-products.html/

I have Fusion top/bottom as well as solid green and brown and ASAT mixing

I personally like to get my First Lite clothing at Midway Usa, they seem to offer best pricing consistently
http://www.midwayusa.com/first-lite/b?bid=3247

Last edited:

Dameon

WKR
I use the same 3in1 stick from Dead Down Wind and it works well as a sunscreen and wind balm. I keep mine in my bino harness because I use it often. I also use their toothpaste , deodorant, and bar soap in camp or before hitting the deer woods.
Get it on sale and it will last you a while.

For bugs, I highly recommend Sawyer's permethrin spray on your clothes and gear. For your body, their picaridin lotion is awesome. The lotion is not greasy, scent free, and will not hurt the DWR treatments on your gear. Sawyer's is pricy, but definitely worth it. I will buy it if it's on sale or not, it's that good.

OP
mfllood3800
My Boots are Solomon Quest 4 D2 GTX
Amazon.com | Salomon Men's Quest 4D 2 GTX Hiking Boot | Hiking Boots

I got these on a Black Friday Sale for just over $100
These are great for me as an all around boot.

I have hiked with my pack at 35 lbs for lots of miles in these- super comfortable, no hot spots

Pros: comfy, good price, some what water proof, no break in for me

Cons: not rigid enough for side hilling, heard they lose water proof after a while

Wasatchbuck

Lil-Rokslider
Orca coolers

I was looking for a large rotomolded cooler and spent a few weeks sifting through all the new companies out there that are now making them. I wanted something that was atleast 140 qt. Few companies were making them that big and yeti was just way overpriced. I settled on ORCA after reading a lot of reviews and watching ice challenges.

I have not had a chance to really test it out as the weather has been pretty moderate lately. However I am very pleased with the fit and finish of the cooler. They are american made and use 3in of insulation on the top and bottom with 2 inches on the side. To beat it all I picked it up for 400. I saw the other day that midway usa has them on sale for 359 for a 140qt. I looked everywhere when I bought mine and never saw it that low. I bought a second one just because the price was so low.

OP
mfllood3800
I use the same 3in1 stick from Dead Down Wind and it works well as a sunscreen and wind balm. I keep mine in my bino harness because I use it often. I also use their toothpaste , deodorant, and bar soap in camp or before hitting the deer woods.
Get it on sale and it will last you a while.

For bugs, I highly recommend Sawyer's permethrin spray on your clothes and gear. For your body, their picaridin lotion is awesome. The lotion is not greasy, scent free, and will not hurt the DWR treatments on your gear. Sawyer's is pricy, but definitely worth it. I will buy it if it's on sale or not, it's that good.

Dameon, I looked at Amazon and they have this in a "bundle" package for $24
Not a bad price and the gear spray lasts up to 6 weeks so I don't have to lug it around and the lotion is a daily application but in a 4 oz bottle its not overly weighty....

I don't use bug spray here in Utah for the archery hunt, as I am at 10-11K feet, not sure how Idaho will be at same elev, but suspect it to be similar. I do have a couple google locations picked out at a lower elevation so bugs may be an issue there.