Gear Test

0e6da189520adc9cdf377e20b999acf6.jpg

Pros:
Maybe guys know about these but I didn't really look into it much until I saw Aron Snyder showing it off on Instagram recently. I'm guessing a lot of guys have half used isobutane fuel canisters laying around that never get used very often since you always leave home with a full canister. This little tool solves that and lets you buy larger fuel canisters that are about 1/4 the fuel price than buying the 100g Jetboil canisters. Easily lets you transfer fuel from one can to another. Goes super quick (seconds) with a warm can and a cold can. Cold being the receiving can.

Cons
Can be easy to overfill if you don't stop and check the weight of the can periodically or give it the scientific shake test. I actually overfilled it on my first attempt. So I was going to put some back in the other canister. I set the overfilled one in the window sill in the sun for about five minutes to warm it a bit and the bottom was already bulging on the can!

e9cafd6d08f93f2afc5e25419e4bf708.jpg

Otherwise I think this will be a great addition to my gear. I bought the more expensive model with the vent on it which is supposed to make filling easier without the need to have one warm and cold. I'm not sure it's worth the extra $10 but time will tell as I fill more canisters.

Edit: Refilling canisters is obviously dangerous and could result in catastrophic failure. As noted in a below post by mrgreen, Here's a link to what can go wrong when done improperly or filled solely with propane. My plan is to only transfer like brands of fuel between canisters and not mix brands and always fill to normal level. If overfilled, vent off excess or transfer back to another canister.

Amazon.com : G-Works Gas Saver Plus Upgrade Cartridge Exchanger Anodize Duralumin : Sports & Outdoors

Here's the standard version without the vent.
Amazon.com: G-works Gas Saver R1 Cartridge Exchanger Anodize Duralumin: Office Products

Last edited:
OP
mfllood3800
I could not smell either of the items while burning. I got pretty close to both as well, as I was trying to see which one blew out the easiest.

OP
mfllood3800
dangerousD

Thx for this link.
I checked them out- seems the model with the relief valve is the way to go, But these little buggers are a bit pricey, although they would save $$ in the long run.
I like these and may have to get one eventually.

OP
mfllood3800
I decided to try and improve my shooting skills. I am a decent shot, almost always tag out either in AZ or Utah- Elk, Mule deer, turkey

So I decided to spend the $ and get a nice stabilizer that also has a back bar.
Wow - ppricey

I got this one at Lancaster:
Bee Stinger Sport Hunter Xtreme 10.8 Kit

It is a great set up, how ever I find I shoot the best utilizing only that back bar. Why?
Cause the sight I am using is the CBE hybrid 5 pin slider and it sticks WAY out in front.

The back bar does help me
I shoot a PSE Full Throttle set at 70 lbs and a 28 1/2 draw

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
0e6da189520adc9cdf377e20b999acf6.jpg

Pros:
Maybe guys know about these but I didn't really look into it much until I saw Aron Snyder showing it off on Instagram recently. I'm guessing a lot of guys have half used isobutane fuel canisters laying around that never get used very often since you always leave home with a full canister. This little tool solves that and lets you buy larger fuel canisters that are about 1/4 the fuel price than buying the 100g Jetboil canisters. Easily lets you transfer fuel from one can to another. Goes super quick (seconds) with a warm can and a cold can. Cold being the receiving can.

Cons
Can be easy to overfill if you don't stop and check the weight of the can periodically or give it the scientific shake test. I actually overfilled it on my first attempt. So I was going to put some back in the other canister. I set the overfilled one in the window sill in the sun for about five minutes to warm it a bit and the bottom was already bulging on the can!

e9cafd6d08f93f2afc5e25419e4bf708.jpg

Otherwise I think this will be a great addition to my gear. I bought the more expensive model with the vent on it which is supposed to make filling easier without the need to have one warm and cold. I'm not sure it's worth the extra $10 but time will tell as I fill more canisters.

Amazon.com : G-Works Gas Saver Plus Upgrade Cartridge Exchanger Anodize Duralumin : Sports & Outdoors

Here's the standard version without the vent.
Amazon.com: G-works Gas Saver R1 Cartridge Exchanger Anodize Duralumin: Office Products
That little bugger is pretty neat

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
mfllood3800
Seems the above photos were the result of adding 100% propane to the isobutane mix .
Something most of us wont be doing, yet thos procedure seems a specific ritual of warming the donar while cooling the receiver and weighing it for proper fill.

I may just pay the $6 and always have a new one

OP
mfllood3800
And though I have never heard of or used these neat refilling gadgets, many pre cautions are there for those who might: Utilize exact same type of canister to fill the half full one , in other words don't mix jet boil with MSR, not due to gases but rather structure of canister engineering. Not all cans are manufactured to the same standards apparently.

This is still a neat little piece of equipment, but I will probably save the half full ones for back yard camping with the kids or day hunts where lunch isn't a life or death issue and I can pass on the Mtn House if needed since can ran out too soon.

OP
mfllood3800
My favorite trail cameras are these:
Cabela's Online Store - Quality Hunting, Fishing, Camping and Outdoor Gear

Cabelas Outfitters series at around $100 pretty decent

Small lighter than others and cheap enough to get a couple.
Nothing worst than spending time/energy to have no pics or dead battys

these run all season on lithium bttys and are great for good pics- not disappointed yet- I have 2 of them for a couple years now

mrgreen

WKR
Regarding refilling canisters, I just bring a lantern that uses the same fuel. This way the partial canisters get put to use.

For Trail Cams, I've been running a couple of Moultrie Mobile units for the past year. If you have a cell signal I highly recommend them.

OP
mfllood3800
I to have a small lantern that utilizes these canisters

Where I hunt there's no cell service
Sometimes I wish there was
But I also use this Camera checking for exercise and recon services
Helps get me in attitude shape

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

mrgreen

WKR
The Mobile system is great for skittish Deer. I set it up months before the season, then don't need to disturb the spot until it's time to hunt. It has also prevented me from blowing deer out from under my tree a couple of times.

In places without a signal I don't check the cameras, but I've used them after the season ends to pattern for the following year(s). If that makes sense.

OP
mfllood3800
I like most, have searched and searched for the perfect bino, range finder harness set up. I still have not found it, but this system comes close

Alaska Guide Creations Kodiak C.U.B. Binocular Case Hook Bungee System

AGC is sweet, lots of room for essential carry on luggage, and I attached a very small belt pouch from Eberlestock to the strap for my range finder. Works pretty sweet, doesn't flop, allows me to sprint, run ok walk fast.

In it I carry flag tape, fire capability, knife, emergency blanket (bivy), snack and wind checker

OP
mfllood3800
These next items, are the ever individualized water purification system
Everyone has their own favorite set up.
But I have been lost, dehydrated, cold, out of water and that will never happen again.
I have 2 theories for water personally
1. I want water now
2. I want water later for camp, dinner, cleaning, washing

I use a steripen in my Nalgene mostly. This allows me to drink within a couple minutes and store 32 oz for a few hrs of hiking
Amazon.com : SteriPEN Adventurer Opti Personal, Handheld UV Water Purifier : Sports & Outdoors

I have aqumira tabs for bulk, that I will use for camp water.
I ususally fill my 6l pretty full at the end of the days hunt, transfer it to the 2 L camp bladder I have hanging and throw the tabs or drops in to be used a few hrs later and thru out the next day.
Amazon.com : Aquamira Water Purifier Tablets (20pk) : Sports & Outdoors

I might want water faster than 3-4 hrs later at the end of the day so I opted to get this pump to try. It lets me directly fill my big 6l in pack bag and then get back to camp, start dinner and dump the rest of the water in my other 2l set ups.:
Amazon.com : Survivor Filter PRO 0.01 Micron Water Purifier. Upgraded LE Addition 3-Stage Nanofiltration Water Filter - 2 Separate 100, 000L Membrane UF Filters that Can Be Cleaned and a Replaceable Carbon Filter. Also Comes With an Attachable Water Cup, Extended Hoses, Hose Clip and a Free Zippered Carrying Case : Sports & Outdoors

I carry this 6 liter MSR drom bag
Amazon.com : MSR DromLite Water Storage Bag with Fill Handle, Red, 6 Liter : Sports & Outdoors
That needed this adapter to be used in my pack:
Amazon.com : MSR Hydration Kit : Camping Water Filtration Accessories : Sports & Outdoors
I also used the quick connect systems:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007U018E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also have a platypus 2 liter packable container and another basic 2 l camp bag.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000J2KEGY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have the sawyer filter to drink from as well, which came with a small bag that fills and then just drink straight from it thru the filter that screws onto it
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TOX6UM6/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is my basic set up
Id love to see others

OP
mfllood3800
I keep all of my gear isolated and individually contained in these bags before it goes in my pack
First is my water set up which holds all the water items described above, then things like camp bag, battery bag, emergency bag, kill kit etc.

Really just showing these to show the mesh bags I like. Easier to view the right bag needed
12e37813c2eef2bba0842469cd298c65.jpg
d4c1891552e5fe29dd9f92828c8cd41c.jpg
b38a5198e54b014af2826cec704c5251.jpg
1474503c1e14938aaa9bd289066b7a3e.jpg
6071b11f77c43b14b51b1d2f2102b217.jpg
b82b2062b06ad0c7de565afe9fc2a56f.jpg
6888cc3009a5b2144dc22ce513ed1882.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
mfllood3800
I currently am using Jet Boil MiniMo- Sorry Aron
Amazon.com : Jetboil MiniMo Sunset : Sports & Outdoors

Pros; at $100 a good find, light, small, self contained , can holds the fuel right inside it, boils in a minute and half, built in igniter
Cons; Aron hates these, they are not hunter friendly company, mine didn't self lite at first- I had to bend the little spark arrestor more flat across the surface and now working great

I may look into MSR pocket rocket in the future, as all I do is boil water for my dehydrated dinners