Gear Test

OP
mfllood3800
So I have been wearing the First Lite gear since last year:
The Cirrius lite puffy is killer
When its really cold I put on the uncomp vest.
It was in the 30's high winds out of the North and the wind was a non issue and I was warm.

The only downside I see with the jacket is the end of the sleeves.
They bow string hits the sleeve when shooting and boy is it loud.

It may just be my pair, but they puff out right before the wrist and engage the string when released.
This wont be an issue as this wont usually be my outer layer but rather my insul layer.

I may take some tenacious tape and compress the left arm sleeve a bit

OP
mfllood3800
It was in the 20's today with a N wind at well over 20 mph. I bet wind chill was close to the mid teens.
This First Lite gear is spectacular

The previously mention Puffy, the cirrius light puffy, is incredible

First Lite Cirrus Ultralight Puffy Jacket

I could see my self wearing this on all seasons of the hunt.

I also ordered the big heavy late season, sitting on a hill glassing, in a tree stand jacket
the Sanctuary
First Lite Sanctuary Jacket | Mens Hunting Jackets

I almost ordered the Woodbury which is a mid season jacket, but am glad I didn't. No doubt it is a great jacket but The cirrius lite puffy is more than enough. Especially when first layer is merino, the chama hoody, then the lite puffy. If it gets too cold with these, I will either add the puffy vest or the big dog the Sanctuary

I may check out the Sitka gear next year, but I have been running the First lite series for a long time now and am sold on the set up.

I have a soft shell in pine green, I thought about hunting in, but do not like the wind blocking issues it has. I like that it is water repellent and quiet and might bring it on some early season adventures.

OP
mfllood3800
I am trying to make sure all my electronics gear uses a rechargeable set up. No more AA or AAA for me
I have found the RAV Battery packs to be very reliable. Amazon.com: Power Bank RAVPower 26800mAh Portable Charger Total 5.5A Output 3-Port Battery Pack (2A Input, iSmart Technology 2.0) Portable Battery Charger External Battery for Smartphones Tablets and More-Black: Cell Phones & Accessories
These allow 3 different items to charge at once at various rates.

Since I need this for my cell phone and Delorme In Reach any way, I decided to ensure all my electronics items have this now too.
They make smaller ones than this but I feel at 16 oz each for 53,600 mah - I am set The penalty is 2 lbs. But a lot less clutter and mess and confusion.

My Fenix head lamp, Fenix HP25R 1000 Lumen USB rechargeable CREE XM-L2 U2 LED Headlamp, Fenix 18650 rechargeable Li-ion battery with 2 X EdisonBright CR123A back-up batteries bundle - - Amazon.com

and cell phone, go pro, Delorme GPS, all use this charge system now. The only item I use AA batteries on is my lil tent light.
I also bring one extra head lamp battery (18500), so hopefully that wont even need charging on a 5 day hunt.

My Steripen is A123 and will last no problem for the season.

I will be looking for a small tent lite that can recharge next- then everything that needs charging will be all the same system- eliminating the need for any more loose AA and AAA batteries

OP
mfllood3800
Amazon.com : Suaoki Led Camping Lantern Lights Rechargeable Battery (Powered By Solar Panel and USB Charging) Collapsible Mini Flashlight for Outdoor Hiking Camping Tent Garden Patio(Emergency Charger for Phone, Water-Resistant, Green) : Sports & Outdoors

I found this lantern it is identical to what I am using now, except mine isn't rechargeable. lol
Guess I didn't shop well enough at first. With this, I will have every elec piece set to use recharging capability.

I can eliminate all the extra batteries now

This one even claims to recharge itself in the sun- will have to see that, but even still, I have the battery pack capacity to not need it.

OP
mfllood3800
Here is a neat multi tool I now carry it has Phillips screwdriver ,flat blade screwdriver ,saw ,knife ,wire cutters LED light & Pliers very lightweight at 2.5 oz, super small in size
I found this at a local Shopko here in Utah for like $19

b4bd437cdc5ae8d1c6a66993da90681d.jpg
7371e8650ba49a0fd0d8486a38fc57c4.jpg
9b878a1662e6771651fa9de308d7c276.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

OP
mfllood3800
Been using Salamon Quest 4D-2-gtx boots for a while....
QUEST 4D 2 GTX(R)
- SALOMON

I got these on some kind of a sale - don't remember what it was.
Only paid like $129- a STEAL

Any way I was turkey hunting today in them and decided to go thru the water rather than around.
I was quite surprised as to how well they did. It wasn't until I went pretty deep and the water ran in thru the top (no gaitors)
They stayed dry other than that.
No break in on these, yet the laces that came were junk- would not stay tied for nothing- threw em out 2nd day.
Put a cheap pair on and been wearing these almost every day since

Worth every penny.
Ive been telling myself I need a pair of Crispi Summits, they are even in my cart at Black Ovis (great company by the way and a supporter of ours here at Rokslide).

But just don't see the need yet. No doubt they are a great mountaineering boot, and I will have a pait sooner than later, but I think I will enjoy these Salamons for a bit longer.

OP
mfllood3800
Well here goes any way:
These are my favorite go to battery pack.
I know the GB is loudly promoting the Dark Energy packs, and from all reviews they are a great set up. But I discovered these Rav Pwer cells sometime ago. Been using the first one enough to say, "I like it and need another".
Amazon.com: Power Bank RAVPower 26800mAh Portable Charger Total 5.5A Output 3-Port Battery Pack (2A Input, iSmart Technology 2.0) Portable Battery Charger External Battery for Smartphones Tablets and More-Black: Cell Phones & Accessories

For $45 which is super pricing compared to others and a whopping 26,800 mAH....... come on now !!

I carry 2 of these at just a pound each and all my electronic needs are met. No more AA or AAA .

Everything is rechargeable and these 2 packs will get me thru a 5 day hunt with ease

I am charging: Delorme In Reach GPS/Emerg device, 1000 lumen Head Lamp, Cell phone, Tent light, Go Pro

Feels great to have all devices the same and plenty of power for the duration at under $100 and 2 lbs

OP
mfllood3800
To Be fair to the Dark Energy Brand (who supports hunting) They are offering a discount on their Poseidon chargers if you use the code Gritty15. This gets you 15% off the price bringing it down to $85 I believe. That's a decent price for a rock solid charger if you need one in the 10,000 Mah range.

OP
mfllood3800
OP
mfllood3800
This is a great thread. Can't wait for more!

Thx Felix
I wondered if I was boring people or upsetting them with all the notifications from too many posts. But I figured there is enough guys getting into back packi hunting that want more info on what others are using and links to help get right to the product easier.

I am no Aron Snyder, but have been in the woods since I was 13, hunting-fishing. Now that I have AARP items in my home- just want to help the next gen of guys.

Seems Elk hunting in general is becoming widely popular which to me means more conservation $$$ into what we all enjoy

NDGuy

WKR
Been using Salamon Quest 4D-2-gtx boots for a while....
QUEST 4D 2 GTX(R)
- SALOMON

I got these on some kind of a sale - don't remember what it was.
Only paid like $129- a STEAL

Any way I was turkey hunting today in them and decided to go thru the water rather than around.
I was quite surprised as to how well they did. It wasn't until I went pretty deep and the water ran in thru the top (no gaitors)
They stayed dry other than that.
No break in on these, yet the laces that came were junk- would not stay tied for nothing- threw em out 2nd day.
Put a cheap pair on and been wearing these almost every day since

Worth every penny.
Ive been telling myself I need a pair of Crispi Summits, they are even in my cart at Black Ovis (great company by the way and a supporter of ours here at Rokslide).

But just don't see the need yet. No doubt they are a great mountaineering boot, and I will have a pait sooner than later, but I think I will enjoy these Salamons for a bit longer.

Which laces did you pick up? I have the same issue with my laces and want to swap them out.

NDGuy

WKR
Thx Felix
I wondered if I was boring people or upsetting them with all the notifications from too many posts.

It is greatly appreciated! I'm kind of surprised no one else seems to be contributing but maybe everyone just grabbed popcorn since you are covering so many areas! HA!

twall13

WKR
I've been following along and enjoying the info. I have my stuff mostly dialed in but it's always fun to see what others are doing and tweak my gear a bit in the off season.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

EsteemGrinders

Lil-Rokslider
Just a quick heads up these lights are on a Lightening deal for another 4 hr for $12.99 vs $16.99 on amazon.

Amazon.com : Suaoki Led Camping Lantern Lights Rechargeable Battery (Powered By Solar Panel and USB Charging) Collapsible Mini Flashlight for Outdoor Hiking Camping Tent Garden Patio(Emergency Charger for Phone, Water-Resistant, Green) : Sports & Outdoors

I found this lantern it is identical to what I am using now, except mine isn't rechargeable. lol
Guess I didn't shop well enough at first. With this, I will have every elec piece set to use recharging capability.

This one even claims to recharge itself in the sun- will have to see that, but even still, I have the battery pack capacity to not need it.

EsteemGrinders

Lil-Rokslider
Just a quick heads up these lights are on a Lightening deal for another 4 hr for $12.99 vs $16.99 on amazon.

EsteemGrinders

Lil-Rokslider
This is a pretty neat little tool system that is much lighter in weight than say a leathermen or Gerber. I found them at a local knife show and was super impressed with the quality of the tools and the price is not bad. These guys have been around for some time now but really got traction on Kickstart with the launch of the Stowaway tools. There earlier tool was the Griffin tool that is also nice. What I really like is you are able to buy just the tools you thing you will need vs leathermen has stuff in them I will never use. Why pack that weight I will be ordering a set for myself and plan to run them in a key wallet like the key smart vs the phone case holders.

Stowaway™ Tools

Griffin Pocket Tool(R)

WKR
Bought that light, showed up yesterday. Not bad, and I can confirm that the solar function seems to work just fine. Time will tell regarding durability.

Also bought the bigger 3 panel light that looks like a little fan. More light and you can aim it.

This is a great thread.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

WKR
BTW- I'm currently charging my phone from the little green solar light...
This thing has potential.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk