Gear Test

OP
mfllood3800
I will be doing a more detailed write up after the Utah hunts are over.
But I wanted to mention my range finders

For Archery Bull elk I used my trusty old Leupold with TBR
- it has a "bow" range set up that I am using

For Muzzle loader deer- I used a Leica 1600
For Rifle Deer I used a Leica 1600
- This is a great RF
- Easy to range, fast and accurate, shows up bright even in low light

For Cow Elk I am using the G7 BR2
- I programmed 2 of my ballistic profiles so far and will be testing them soon

I love the Leupold, but the Leica is quickly becoming a sweet set up with great distances and could become an all around range finder for sure.
The G7 will be for Long Range only so I am testing it out on my Cow Elk hunt.

When Dec comes around I am in AZ archery Mule deer hunting and plan to take the Leupold or Leica- haven't decided yet
lol
The Leica is easier to see in low light, so it will probably be the one.

OP
mfllood3800
If you are only going to hunt archery then the RF I would get is Leupold RX1200
RX-1200i TBR/W with DNA Digital Laser Rangefinder… | Leupold

Mine is the generation before this and I paid right around $300
The only issue I have is it is harder to see at early light. It is perfectly fine at legal shooting light, but sometimes we see clear enough before legal light and want to get the ranging done ahead of time.
This is the fastest in my opinion, small, light and just works every time.
It has a separate bow range setting as well as further distances out to 300' and around 600' for mine.
This will actually be a great set up for most rifle hunters as well as archers.

The Leica 1600r , I feel, is the better rifle range finder as it goes beyond 1100 yards easily. At $500-$600, its a great deal.
I picked up a demo model for $400.
Leica CRF 1600-R Rangemaster. MPN 40537|40537 - SCOPELIST.com
Sometimes when I click, it takes a bit and I have to reclick it to get it to read a variance of distances back to back.
It is still small enough to be a great archery RF as well as a very nice long range rifle RF if you have some additional phone apps to help figure weather and other important data for proper calculation.
Perhaps its best feature other than its longer range and light compact size, is its very easy to see red digital read out in the viewer.
This could be perhaps, the best over all set up for the all around hunter using a variety of weapon choices

Now onto the G7 BR2
I have input 2 of my longer range rifles in so far and it was a snap.
Gunwerks.com has plenty of videos on setting this up so that is a place.

It is big, and not really suitable for archery- over kill, over sized
It's price (I got mine for $1300) is high, but it eliminates all the other apps needed. Just a wind meter and known ballistic info is all you need
1 click and the data is calculated for you and you dial your turret to either yardage, MOA or MRAd.

I have a true LR rifle coming in shortly and will test this out more as time permits.

Summary:

The Leupold is a great RF for 75% of all hunters and you cant go wrong with Leupold.
Archery only hunters - this ones for you
If your rifle range is under 500-600 yrds this is also for you

The Leica, fills that gap of rifle hunters wanting more than 500 yard read outs.
If you plan to hunt both rifle out to 600 or 800 even 900 yards as your max, and archery in thicker areas- this is a solid choice

The G7 is strictly for the avid LR hunter with needs met to calculate and ensure ethical clean shots at these longer distances
Time will be needed to set it up, sometimes on a tripod to steady it and get the correct range, check wind on a separate wind meter, dial the turret and take the shot.

OP
mfllood3800
I ordered a Badlands bino harness set up.
I am currently using a Alaskan Guide Creations set up and it very good for how I hunt.

The Badlands appeared to be similar in size, style function.
It has an adjustable shelf that holds your bino so it can be adjusted for the varying size of binos- nice touch.
- It doesn't allow the binos to get buried in the compartment if they are smaller than the 10x42 sizes

It has a bottom shelf with separate door that holds your Range Finder.
- This compartment is actually big enough to hold my Leica and my leupold ones, something the AGC didn't do so well.

Both of these compartments are magnet type closure systems and work good.
- for sure a 1 handed operation

it has 2 vertical side pockets
- a but larger than the AGC- will hold my wind checker on 1 side- the other side will hold flag tape, knife, trioxane/lighter

There is a back mesh pocket that will hold my lens pen and a Cliff Bar snack/ emergency foil blanket
- some folks put their pistol in there

there is also a built in rain cover- that's kind of cool

Both the bino and RF compartments have a bunggie type lanyard to secure the optics.

There also 2 hidden caribiner type hooks on each side to clip accessories on but I wont as it is already getting heavier than desired

The shoulder straps are standard with what is out there, but the buckles are not- they are small. Time will tell on durable they are.

The price tag is steep, but for what you get it is in line with my AGC after I add in a pouch pocket to hold my RF.

I am the type of hunter who uses the bino harness as a key piece of gear that does more than just hold the binos.

If I ever got separated from my pack (don't ask) it has some items I need to survive night or 2.badlands harness.jpgbadlands2.jpg

OP
mfllood3800
I have been using this on a guys Bull tag, as a scouting/spotting set up.
I do like it for getting binos in and out. But I need to adjust the shelf a bit more so my 10x42s fit easier.
The wind checker fits easily in the side pocket.

These don't protrude off my chest quite as much as my AGC.
I have been carrying the Leica RF in the bottom pouch, but haven't tried pulling it in and out yet.

My big beef, and may be just cause I don't have the shelf for the binos deep enough, is my binos fell out when I bent over. I freaked out !!

I haven't tied them in and don't usually do that. Never had to with my AGC.
But I came home and they are now tied in.
When the lid is open, they will easily fall out- don't like that, even if they are tied up.

I don't seem to get as much neck strain with these- but I am not putting the same miles on as I am more spotting right now.

I'll keep updating as I use them more.

OP
mfllood3800
If you are like me, I like organization that meets efficiency in the real world of hunting in quick set up scenarios and surprise encounters. My gear cant be held neatly and organized if I cant get to it instantly when a old mature buck or bull presents itself and the window is short to engage it.

I love the new bino harnesses, and RF set ups, but always had issues with getting them in and out.
I have used small para cord to hold them, even ran them with out any tether at all, until one day my binos fell out, when I bent over.

Some harness come with their version of what works, but for me, they seem to get hung up coming out or bunched up going back in. Sometimes the bungies are too short, too long.

I found these cool little set ups on Amazon:
Amazon.com : Dicero Fishing Lanyard (Pack of 12) Accessories Plastic Retractable Coiled Tether with Carabiner for Pliers Lip Grips Tackle Fish Tools : Sports & Outdoors

12 pcs for $10

They are long enough, yet short enough.
They have caribiners, ring clips and tied off loop ends, so I am actually getting free caribiners as these don't work for me in my scenario.

I am heading to the SW for mule deer in AZ on an Archery hunt next week, and will be putting these to the test in my new Badlands bino harness. The Badlands harness had its own set up, but as typical, in order to work for a variety of hunters big and small, they have an excess of cord.
I tucked those in and installed these coiled tethers which for now seem a lot smaller and easier to get in and out.

OP
mfllood3800
Prana Zion Pants

I know these aren't new to the market by any means, but I never really thought about getting them. I knew I always should've just never did, until Black Friday opened the door for an opportunity........

Prana Men's Stretch Zion Pant – goHUNT

These are not exactly like my FL Corrigate Guide pants but very much in the same family lineage.

These are awesome to wear, comfortable. The fit is true to my street clothes.
I was outside and the temps were in the very low 40's and almost 30's, with winds over 40 mph out of the north.
- These were solid
- wind was blocked
-cold was blocked

I wasn't wearing any base layers but would certainly believe in cold weather these with a good merino base would be killer for any hunting scenario involving some movement.

At $60, they are a great buy.
They have snaps to button them up for river crossings or hot weather

The main snap is metal and not some cheezy sewn on plastic button.

I got 2 pair and these are going to get a ton of use.

Last edited:
OP
mfllood3800
So after spending a lot of wasted $$ on tripods and heads I thought I could some how magically discover that so many others had to miss... I have settled into my set up;
Point... others use what's best most often in this category, don't try to go around their wisdom

For my big 80 Spotter I went with the Suiri VA-5 head
Maintenance | Camera Land NY[name]=Sirui-VA-5-Ultra-Compact-Video-Head-%28Demo-Unit%29-Tripod-Heads&catalog[product_guids][0]=1471858

Promaster 525 CF Tripod.
Maintenance | Camera Land NY[name]=ProMaster-Professional-XC525C-Carbon-Tripod---Black-%233480-Tripods-%26-Monopods&catalog[product_guids][0]=1085621

The head is incredibly smooth and handles the big spotter easily.
This is a heavier set up, but I wont bring the 80 out on a back country trip any way- that's what the 65 is for.
This is rock solid in the wind and great for digiscoping- super steady

My smaller back packable set up for my 65 spotter is what surprised me most.
I love the Vortex High Country tripod- super light, folds small and costs very little.
Amazon.com : Vortex Optics High Country Tripod : Sports & Outdoors

I even ran my 80 on this for a while with a Benro head.

The head is the Manfrotto Be Free Fluid head
Manfrotto Befree Live Fluid Head – goHUNT

One neat feature is the length of the adapter plate. It is long enough to allow you to slide the spotter to a position that balances it perfectly and as a result requires little head pressure creating more fluid sweeping thru the grid patterns.
The handle is a bit long for me, and I thought about cutting it down4" or so.

It doesn't allow you to switch the handle to the front, as it wont engage the gear cogs

No big deal.

Over all I feel I have a decent set up for both scenarios.

Last edited:

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
So after spending a lot of wasted $$ on tripods and heads I thought I could some how magically discover that so many others had to miss... I have settled into my set up;
Point... others use what's best most often in this category, don't try to go around their wisdom

For my big 80 Spotter I went with the Suiri VA-5 head
Maintenance | Camera Land NY[name]=Sirui-VA-5-Ultra-Compact-Video-Head-%28Demo-Unit%29-Tripod-Heads&catalog[product_guids][0]=1471858

Promaster 525 CF Tripod.
Maintenance | Camera Land NY[name]=ProMaster-Professional-XC525C-Carbon-Tripod---Black-%233480-Tripods-%26-Monopods&catalog[product_guids][0]=1085621

The head is incredibly smooth and handles the big spotter easily.
This is a heavier set up, but I wont bring the 80 out on a back country trip any way- that's what the 65 is for.
This is rock solid in the wind and great for digiscoping- super steady

My smaller back packable set up for my 65 spotter is what surprised me most.
I love the Vortex High Country tripod- super light, folds small and costs very little.
Amazon.com : Vortex Optics High Country Tripod : Sports & Outdoors

I even ran my 80 on this for a while with a Benro head.

The head is the Manfrotto Be Free Fluid head
Manfrotto Befree Live Fluid Head – goHUNT

One neat feature is the length of the adapter plate. It is long enough to allow you to slide the spotter to a position that balances it perfectly and as a result requires little head pressure creating more fluid sweeping thru the grid patterns.
The handle is a bit long for me, and I thought about cutting it down4" or so.

It doesn't allow you to switch the handle to the front, as it wont engage the gear cogs

No big deal.

Over all I feel I have a decent set up for both scenarios.

How did the befree head handle the heavy spotter?

Live2hunt custom shelters

OP
mfllood3800
How did the befree head handle the heavy spotter?

Live2hunt custom shelters
That head is designated for my 65 but it is way beefier than the small benro I had and that one handled the 85 so no doubt the bee Free Will is well and it has a long enough handle to be reachable

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

OP
mfllood3800
Like many I capitalized on a few Black Friday deals.

This is one that showed up today and I am anxious to use it on my Dec Az Archery Mule deer hunt.
http://www.blackovis.com/schonfeld-carbon-fiber-6615t-5section-tripod
Schonfeld CF tripod.
This will fit me perfect with the head I use and spotter. I am 5-9 and this at 50" gets high enough where I don't have to bend over to glass while standing. Honestly 80% of my real glassing is sitting anyway.
I use a Befree head from manfrotto and a Swaro 65 and this set up gets to the perfect height for me.

I like how it is super compact, super light and Carbon fiber, for a great price.
This is my new go to for light weight set ups.

I wish the twist locks for legs were only 1/4 turns, but I can live with the extra effort to turn them in to lock them cause they are solid once locked.

Very sturdy for its weight, and stuffs in my pack like its not even there.

No doubt this could even handle my big 80 Swaro, but that already ha a home.
:)

OP
mfllood3800
I used the SOS emergency set up from Delorme this whole season of 2017.
Never had to use it, though I did have an incident where I had to call someone for help, and had cell service.

These are an item any back country hunter should seriously consider. Whether it is a Sat phone, a Delorme hand hel or the Garmin In reach series of SOS units with maps

I opted to sell my basic Delorme In reach for this Garmin In reach explorer +.

Garmin Inreach Explorer+ Satellite Communicator – goHUNT.

I used the standard Delorme all year as stated above, but I also had a map GPS unit. I found myself switching between the delorme and the handheld and thought, I wish I would've just got the Garmin and had both the SOS safety system and a maps system all in one.
Well I sold my Delorme and some Rino 2 way radios with topo maps and a couple other things to get enough together for this set up.

It is nice to have the topo maps, ans SOS unit all in one.
I still have my phone with OnX Hunt maps installed so I can use that as well. And when put in airplane mode that set up continues to monitor my location with less battery drain.

I have a Fenix 3HR watch system coming as well to be my 3rd redundant set up for maps, waypoints, tracking and maps.
Somewhere in my pack will also be paper map of my wilderness area.

I don't mind having this many set ups doing the same thing, if they also do a unique thing.
The watch - time plus map, waypoint etc

The Garmin is my Emergency SOS plus maps, gps tracks etc
The Phone is my phone, camera, Gps, maps etc...

For me and where and how I hunt, this is a set up I have been working towards for a few years.

The Garmin, phone (and hopefully Fenix watch) will all utilze the same charge cord. My head lamp, tent light, and other stuff currently all use this same cord to create a slimmer set up

OP
mfllood3800
There is a vendor on here - Pods8, who is also called "Rugged Stitching, I believe, makes 32 OZ Nalgene holsters for the Kifaru, Exo and other pack waist belt systems.
I ordered 2 of these @ $25 each which included shipping, and installed them on 2 of my packs, so I don't have to keep swapping them out.

I ordered the Coyote Brown for my work out and shed hunting frame, and then for my new Ranger Green Kifaru Fulcrum I opted to not wait for the ranger green one (he is getting orders to justify a shipment of material) and just went ahead and got the Foilage colored one( a bit different than my RG pack).

I also incl a pic of my other Kifaru frame with Kifaru's own holster so you can see the differences.

I really like the stitching he did, looks awesome and no areas missed that I could see.
The fit on the bottle is perfect.
The bungie retainer works good and tight.

I cant wait to try this out in another week hunting Az Mule deer in the desert with my bow.
12a9aa7be45808ee00381409124dd5f9.jpg
252825e26f0c203731026ebc520b16be.jpg
f7cf672bbecf2ae36474673462b91a25.jpg
edef6069a6f7cc4cae22c30024b001c6.jpg
37761857b990ccab2a71f2e3ee5c3b95.jpg

OP
mfllood3800
Garmin Fenix 3HR
Amazon.com: Garmin Fenix 3 HR, Gray: Cell Phones & Accessories

This review is Intital respone" only as I haven't had it barely a week.

My first response is I like this watch.

The only downside which I will mention first is screen brightness
I went in and adjusted brightness from 20% to max. It is great with the back light on and when outside. But inside with just room lights it is not great. You need to move it to get some light to hit it to brighten it up.

The ability to down load Garmin Connect App and from there utilize many variable widgets and apps for this watch, which already came pre loaded with many exercise and activity type apps, from jogging, rowing to swimming to hiking.
Of Course , we are hunters.
So I keep the hiking app, closest to my brain as far as getting to it.
It gives me steps, way points, and track back.

I downloaded some google maps, so I can try it out on my road trip coming up.

The physical features are very intuitive. No real learning curve to figure it out, and if you're like me, you don't memorize every button, only the main ones - enter, back and forward (which are up and down) to scroll thru the menus.

The face is perfect size. I had fears it would be too big or too small- it was actually right where I hoped. Big enough to see, small enough to still fell somewhat normal wearing it.

I down load some watch faces to try varieties and settled for "Big Numbers" so I can see it w/o my glasses on.

I also have on the main watch face, my total steps for the day, altitude, date, day, messages notices and heart rate.

Linked up with my phone, it signaled the battery was low and I thought dang I just charged it a coupe days ago- it was actually my phones battery it was notifying me of. That is handy when the watch is always out and visible while the phone stays buried in the pocket.

It is water proof, and measures heart rate thru its band, no other sensor needed to wear.

I had to reinstall it in its box and get it back under the tree before the wife noticed I had it out
:)

Imagine her surprise when I put it on and it is already set up fully for me.
It truly is a "smart watch"

OP
mfllood3800
This next gear review is a little different.
Another RS member Beendare shared how he used silicone/thinner mixed up to water proof the mesh areas on boots.
I love the comfort of the Salomon 4g boots. But the leaking issue with the mesh has always been a concern, yet this is part of their comfort quality.
So I tried his fix on my boots.

So far so good. My feet are warmer than they have ever been, so I know they are sealed up.

I did not mix mine 50/50, as I didn't use straight silicone from a tube. Mine was more like 70/30. I took seam sealer from my tipi kit, and thinner from a can. That was just barely enough to let it soak in and not be too big to where it flakes off.
A note : they will smell like thinner for about 5 days or so , therefore leave them outside to gas out and it will be a great investment into your hunting boots like Salomons that utilize mesh.

I also added it to all the stitching and seams of various materials

6153ff05ea146cba52e3cdeb7b7b59ff.jpg
e7acde68bd74a9238d35ce83b70cb655.jpg
3137f5ea73b6877e05c7041a78bfe8ca.jpg

OP
mfllood3800
For these late season winter camping hunts, I use my 0 degree bag.
Mine was a cheap $60 bag I got on sale for $39.
I used it in a late rifle hunt where elevation and temps collided and it was under 20 degrees and actually did well
I often thought about getting a higher end bag, but the price tag always stopped me simply cause my cheapo bag was actually working
Lol
But I decided to add a liner to it for colder hunts
I got the sea to summit reactor thermolite liner off Amazon for $58

This increases my warming by about 14 degrees they declare

It weighs just over 1/2 lb and will be a great addition to my colder hunts while still back packing in.

Out of all the liners I've tried this is by far the best set up, weight wise and benefit

6616d4626f86f69891c51fb1f23cd3a0.jpg
a0a298a2e244b00511c1c8286212fc54.jpg
c849c0fb91dafbe6dfb02aaa9f6fd15a.jpg
e4b003726fccc673cc6581502a0d350b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

OP
mfllood3800
I spent 5 days hunting desert mule deer in Az with my bow.

I took the Badlands XR with range finder pouch Bino harness to test out.
Amazon.com: Badlands Bino XR Binocular and Rangefinder Case with Shoulder Harness, Serengeti Brown: Camera & Photo

I hiked over 50 miles in 5 days and put this thru the test. My findings are just my opinion on a piece of gear for how and where I hunt. Your findings may be different.
I found more negatives than positives on this set up.
I will not use this again and below will reveal why.

First of all
$150 is a lot of $$ for a bino harness.
This thing squeaks as I walk. The zippers that are on the side pockets swing and squeak.
- these could be removed and para cord installed, but for $150- I don't want to do this type of mod.

The magnetic closures seem like a decent enough idea, but in reality it is a poor design for me and how I bow hunt.
In a rifle hunt - no biggy.
I found the lids on both the bino and the Range Finder snapping shut loudly.
They even closed unexpectedly.

The RF pouch lid was the worst.
It would always jump shut as I was holding bow in 1 hand, trying to get rf out with other and keeping the lid quiet.
Not a user friendly one handed operation with deer in close proximity.

The magnets keep grabbing my release in my hand.
Again, as I am holding the bow in one hand and trying to use the other, which has my release strapped on, and it kept getting attached to the magnets, causing me to have to pull my hand away.

Also the Bino compartment is so tight with 10x42 binos and a reg size Leupold RF in the bottom pouch.
I continually wrestled to get the binos in and out quietly.
- once I left the lid open and it slammed shut on its own.
Several times I couldn't even get the lid closed all the way, and being frustrated I just left it partially open.

I did like the size ( I like bigger set ups). It holds everything I want a bino harness to hold.

The wind checker fits perfectly in the side pocket and you can leave it unzipped just enough to get at it and it never fell out on me.

The back mesh compartment was great for holding my lens pens.

It fit tight on me and never moved, loosened or slipped.

These are just my findings, everyone is unique and some may like this.
But for me- I will stick with my AGC set up.

OP
mfllood3800
So I am a normal Blazer vane guy. I shoot the regular 2" vanes 3 fletched, and have for years
Bohning Blazer Vanes

I have tried many many different types, sizes and styles of vanes.
But I almost always come back to blazers.

Last year I got some of the Blazer heats, 4 fletched, and liked them
Bohning Heat Vanes

This year I tried the Blazer Ice vanes 4 fletched
Bohning True Color Ice Vanes (Australian Flag)

Every one I fletched is hitting extreme right. Seems my drop away is having issues with this set up.
So I set them closer to the nock, then closer again. I had the front of the fletch about where the 2" blazer front was, still flies extreme right. About 4 times it didn't even hit the block.

My Blazer Heats, are my favorite. They fly true, straight, consistent. I went with a right helical and set them about 1/2" from my nock.

The material is robust.
The Bitzenburger loves these vanes
lol

For 2018 I will be running the Blazer Heat, right hand helical on my drop away rest.
I shoot a Black Eagle X Impact (250 spine), with a nock bushing and pin nock, and the SS Outsert with a Montec 125 gr 3 blade fixed head.
Total arrow weight is around 482 grs.
My bow is shooting this around 290-300 fps- I need to chrono these new set ups as they are about 10 gr heavier than last years set up.
Last year I went with a right hand off set, but this year am gonna try the helical. Hoping I am at least at 290 fps.