Gear Test

OP
mfllood3800
I made a video of what all was in most of these individual mesh organizers. If you desire they can be seen here:
mflood3800 - YouTube

Probably no different than what most of you are already doing.
Perhaps your ideas are even better than what I do.

OP
mfllood3800
I will be on a 5-7 day in Idaho this year for Elk. Central towards the east a bit. Never been there, expecting bears, so my next 2 items are specifically for that and if some of the northern hippies wander too far south as well.

Bear spray- Frontiersman
Amazon.com : Frontiersman Bear Spray with Hip Holster - Maximum Strength & Maximum Range - 35 Feet (9.2 oz) : Bear Protection : Sports & Outdoors
Pros: well hopefully we all know what to have here right
Cons: hopefully none

My Hand gun switched from my M&P 9mm I carry in Utah where we only have black bear, lions , yotes and wolves to a 10mm AEE witness, for the Idaho Grizz
Hoping to not need it:
Witness Polymer Full Size- Tanfoglio - European American Armory/USSG

Mine has the SS slide and polymer grip- very light weight

Pros: light, 14 round clip, at $515 I felt it was a great deal, double action and single action trigger,
Cons: one more thing on my belt, next to my Bear Spray, Small belt pouch, Nalgene bottle

I have not fired this pistol yet, if anyone has any info or heard good/bad that would be awesome to tap into that

I acquired it locally for about $75 cheaper than online, and it seems a basic but nice gun

Last edited:
OP
mfllood3800
Had a chance to go out to the range and shoot the AEE 10 MM Witness from Italy.

Shoots super sweet for such a light gun. I was expecting a heavy recoil. The main reason I picked this hand gun was for its light weight and power. I was pleasantly surprised with its shootability.
The only con I see is the lack of height adjustability. It has windage adjustment but not height. It shoots low so I guess I could file the front sight, but if I make a triangle it hits very close, groups well and with 14+1 rounds- it will offer a good amount of chances at the acquired target.

Pro: price, weight, capacity, grouping, power
cons: lack of adj on height

OP
mfllood3800
Here is the actual gun
23949f45ba575ce70d3856801694be00.jpg
3ad0e02dc84b7731f0a6b09ec963efeb.jpg
0d1959f5166808b491db6532a73a7bc2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

OP
mfllood3800
Here is my daily portion of snacks . keep in mind I will be eating a home cooked dehydrated meal for dinner and snacking on candy bars as well as nuts and Elk jerky

OP
mfllood3800
Here is my daily portion of snacks . keep in mind I will be eating a home cooked dehydrated meal for dinner and snacking on candy bars as well as nuts and Elk jerky

5d6f590d9ae824d7a977dea78e69355d.jpg

The orange colored meal bars- I don't really care for these, I will be getting another flavor- I can eat it, just not for more then 3 days
The Cookie Dough breakfast bar is very good.
These energy boost chewys are really good. With those and the Mtn Ops supplements I will have decent enrgy thr-out the day

I got the snacks from Corey Jacobsens web site :
Elk101.com Store | Gear Up For the Elk Hunt

I get my calls from him as well

SunShine

Lil-Rokslider
Here is the actual gun
23949f45ba575ce70d3856801694be00.jpg
3ad0e02dc84b7731f0a6b09ec963efeb.jpg
0d1959f5166808b491db6532a73a7bc2.jpg

Thanks for the review.

I pig hunt, getting old, and not nimble anymore. Carry side arm is mandatory for me.

I'm a .45 guy. But you can make a case the 10mm is a better all around round.

While in Connecticut for Easter weekend visiting family I stopped by one of my old archery gun stores I do business with. They had a small .45 Kimber. Weighed nothing, literally nothing. Really caught my eye. $1399 price tag 2 tone but not stainless because it was too light.

I liked the idea of it weight for a carry over my Colt Officers.

I hear Kimbers jam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
mfllood3800
Wow I have only heard great things on Kimber gear. I was originally set to get a Taurus but the model I was after had a law suit and issues so I went with this AEE. I just didn't want all my gear $$$ going to a hand gun I would maybe never use, yet if I did need it I wanted it to work.

SunShine

Lil-Rokslider
Wow I have only heard great things on Kimber gear. I was originally set to get a Taurus but the model I was after had a law suit and issues so I went with this AEE. I just didn't want all my gear $$$ going to a hand gun I would maybe never use, yet if I did need it I wanted it to work.

I thought Kimber was the shitttttts. So I bought a nice .45 that is about the copy of a Colt Commander. Soon as I did, I hear they jam ! Lol

I haven't even shot it once yet. I own it for a year too. Kimber don't scare me but I'm hearing they need to be throated. We'll see eventually how mine is.

Rumours I hope !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
mfllood3800
I ordered the Delorme In Reach. I will do a "non geek" assessment of this for the common man. I am expecting it to be fairly easy to operate and pair up with smart phone and save data on alp top for wife to know where I plan to hunt.

I will do a full review on pricing of equipment chips and data plans and options once I get it.

OP
mfllood3800
Decided to try a different style of Release for archery. I had been shooting a "wrist rocket, trigger type" for years. But wanted to try a back tension type. So I got a Carter Honey 2.

I needed guidance on proper form so between this site, Dudleys videos and a local bow shop, I was able to generate enough knowledge to get started.

This review isn't an end of all things in this item, but it's hopefully helpful to those considering this same move:
Carter Honey 2 Release

Here are what my initial thoughts are-

terrible understanding thru and literature supplied- get help else where
It has features built in not even mentioned in the 1 page instructional guide- very disappointed

It shoots with ease, has great safety features especially for a newbie.
Once I learned the very basics of back tension releases I was off and shooting

First at like 10 yards. Soon I was back at 30 and 40 yrds.

I noticed my draw length and peep sight location is not optimal now.
Problem with my bow is the draw length is pretty much determined by its cams. Not much adj available else where.
I find my self leaning in more than acceptable to view peep. I am gonna try moving my peep up about an inch and see if that helps.

I have managed to enjoy the benefit of the "surprise" firing feature of this as well as the awareness to fire it when I need to ( as with a quick shot).

Over all I like this release, but may not use it for hunting. Time will tell.

This allows me to pre hook it to the D loop and leave it hanging for a quick draw/shoot scenario ( a feature not even mentioned in the instructions).

Its pricey and a purchase I kind of wish I wouldn't have made to be honest.
But I will develop my form and technique this summer and see benefits hopefully and still might use it for hunting

OP
mfllood3800
I ordered and received the big Coleman Cooler "Extreme" series of coolers. This one is the 120 Qt size. I'll be honest , not really worried about ice melting as this will hold a small ice beg, and any chest that holds this much ice will simply due to size keep enough ice for 5-7 days based on volume alone.

These had pretty good reviews with most if not all complaints being the handles breaking off. Yep they seem to just be pressed in- pretty cheap.
But the size and price is what sold me.
Amazon.com : Coleman 120 Quart Coastal Xtreme Series Marine Cooler : Sports & Outdoors

For $68 how can you go wrong

Pros: price is sweet, size is plenty for elk deboned, my 8 yr old grandson climbed in it, and can easily sleep in it or take a bath in it.
it is big enough for large game but small enough to fit most anywhere
Fits in the back of my Polaris Ranger I ordered these and utilized it to anchor the beast in place:
Amazon.com : Coleman Cooler Tie-Down Kit : Cooler Accessories : Sports & Outdoors

FYI these will work for any chest

Cons: handles do appear to be cheaply installed, lid isn't air tight but a bead of silicone caulk would help this

OP
mfllood3800
Bow Strings-
well I guess there a thousand shops producing these and most great quality and price- But I decided to go to a company called Jim Bow N Arrows
His number is 620 550 5360

Jimbows n Arrows

I got my first set just to check his work out, prices were a but below the average. I wanted good BCY material and custom color to go with the dipping I was doing on my PSE Full Throttle.
I went with the Snow Camo look and ordered White strings with silver and black accents.

I have been waiting to review these until I had well over 400 shots thru them, and I was able to surpass that by a lot.

No rotation on peep, timing has not changed one bit at all. Serving is good and tight and fit my "F" nocks perfectly.
I will post some pics of his strings on my finished bow in another post following this one.

I like the strings, cables enough to order a set for my other bow as well.

Most guys probably have their string guy already, but if you don't- he is worth the try- and fast turn around too.

OP
mfllood3800
I did some testing for a while on "silencing equipment" for my Bow
Went to Lancaster to get the items.

Sorry don't have the links but here are the part descriptions and Sku #

1st Iten: I liked this and am gonna use it this year----
Bowjax Revelations Split Limb Dampeners (15/16")
Color
Black
68500250101 $17.99

LimbSaver Split Limb Super Quad (Black)---- I loved this one and is on my primary bow
$18.99

The following items are junk and not worth anything IMO
Bowjax Magnum Rizrjax Dampeners
$24.99

Bowjax Monsterjax Split Limb Dampeners --- These actually made the bow louder lol

OP
mfllood3800
Here are some pics of the dampener items

First pic These are decent but ugly. Lol
Second pic. Love these from limb saver
Third and fourth pic - junk
5a1cd5628ddd156dbf5e86c8456c5ae7.jpg
d3bff3310dc9e53943f636429e873cd3.jpg
0cbb39d3a6bfb520fa95bf1a2b3c4ee6.jpg
8df64f662ed05c098a08a8236a9e74fd.jpg

OP
mfllood3800
My Clothing:
First Lite

Base is Merino wool top and Allegheny merino bottom
Socks- merino mix
Pants are Corrigate Guide in fusion and dry earth , and Kanab 2.0 in pine
Tops- Chama hoody (green), puffy vest, Puffy cirrius lite, Sanctuary Insulated, Vapor storm light for rainy days- these are all weather driven- all fusion
Balaclava and gloves both inner and outer- fusion

I really feel the option to have this technical clothing is worth every penny.
Comfort, warmth, adjustability is second to none

You can go to first lite web site to check out all their clothing
Sitka, Kuiu Kryptek all good stuff too- just get the camo patterns you feel are best and dress appropriate to your climate -light yet warm.

Pros; fit, comfort, adjustability, concealment, specified purpose
Cons: $$$$, some durability issues with the corrugate and kanab pants getting snagged then pulling fabric loose

OP
mfllood3800
I found this item for carrying my Nalgene bottle:
Amazon.com : OneTigris Minimalist Tactical Molle Water Bottle Holder Belt Bottle Carrier (Tan) : Sports & Outdoors

As much as I love Kifaru, there are some items I find as good or good enough at a less price.

Things such as pull outs, Nalgene bottles and holsters, Even made my own compression straps for half the cost.

I will continue to buy most of my items from Kifaru and support them but some stuff just isn't justified.

Pros: super cheap, very robust and more versatile (holds taller water bottle thermoses as well as Nalgene of many sizes
straps right to the molle webbing or pals systems perfectly
cons: only two colors black and brown ( but for me its what I wanted anyway CB)

OP
mfllood3800
Got it the Delorme In Reach
Amazon.com: DeLorme AG-008727-201 InReach Explorer Two Way Satellite Communicator with Built in Navigation: Cell Phones & Accessories

It was easy to set up and pick a plan.
The actual piece is lighter than I thought it would be, not sure if this is good or bad
good- when you're counting ounzes on a back pack hunt
bad- durability on cliff testing

anyway, I will keep reviewing it and reporting back.
I do like that it charges with a usb as I will have one in my battery kit any way
the screen is small, but ok to use
I have been using a garmin 62st and it isn't in color and even smaller so this is an upgrade for me
I paired it to my phone so I can utilize my screen off the phone too.

So far the tech part of it isn't difficult at all. I sent a message to my wifes phone and mine just to test it- works great.

Will be a nice peace of mind for both me and her.