Gear Test

OP
mfllood3800
Great night
Klymit worked sufficiently
All other gear worked as expected
Even the little fuel canisters helped a small bit

I know some folks don't take a small lantern and use their head lamps exclusively and that would certainly work
But the lanterns were worth taking for me
0d67b843429c131cb00d1babc86be7d0.jpg
f010351d5f971d8409d03b0019302e0f.jpg
89810593882fb0be9c9b40713d6fc2d8.jpg
16b387c41b33da3629d942df0663f46e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Has anyone used one of these or something similar in your tent at night so you don't have to go out in the cold or rain to pee? They are $3 on wish and only weigh 2.7oz. These might even be a good idea wile hunting in a blind.

I think you'll like 1000ml Ourdoor Aid Bottle Urinal Female Male Unisex Portable Mobile Toilet for Car Journeys Travel Camping Hiking. Add it to your wishlist!

Wish | 1000ml Ourdoor Aid Bottle Urinal Female Male Unisex Portable Mobile Toilet for Car Journeys Travel Camping Hiking

View attachment 51106

Add another reason to go floorless....

FlyGuy

WKR
Has anyone used one of these or something similar in your tent at night so you don't have to go out in the cold or rain to pee? They are $3 on wish and only weigh 2.7oz. These might even be a good idea wile hunting in a blind.

I think you'll like 1000ml Ourdoor Aid Bottle Urinal Female Male Unisex Portable Mobile Toilet for Car Journeys Travel Camping Hiking. Add it to your wishlist!

Wish | 1000ml Ourdoor Aid Bottle Urinal Female Male Unisex Portable Mobile Toilet for Car Journeys Travel Camping Hiking

View attachment 51106
I picked up one of these last year off of Amazon. Primarily used it while deer/treestand hunting, but could easily work in your tent.

Pro's:

small size - much more compact than any hard plastic bottle. Makes it easy to store in a belt pocket or even a pants pocket (when empty), which means it's easy to access. And let's face it, when you finally give in and decide it's time to go, quick access can be critically important!

Quiet - nothing makes more noise in the woods than an empty pee bottle scraping against a tree or limb, or being crunched and then popping back to shape.

Plenty of capacity. Easily 4-5 before getting full, for me anyway.

Cons:

Not a cheap solution (~ $25)

I think this product was designed more for use in a home with injured patients, not for hunting where 4-8 hours of "storage" is required, so modifications (tape) may be required solutions for issues listed below:

Really wish there was an integrated plastic eyelet to run a paracord loop through. Off the shelf, there isn't a good way to hang it once it's partially full.

Also, since hanging isn't integrated into the product, I'd prefer it if the lid was a more secure screw on instead of just a friction fit. Likewise, I worry about the friction fit for the rubber bag when completely full. Don't want any leakage while hiking out from my stand.

Requires cleaning. Trust me on that one. Not something you want to leave collapsed in your truck without atleast rinsing! It will flat knock you down the next time you pop that cap off to use it!

(Btw, it does work great in the truck though. I'm on the road a lot. Pulling off on the shoulder with this saves a ton of time if you drink as much coffee as I do. Stop, fill, dump and go. Just have to be really focused on your aim and ALWAYS maintain a firm grip on the tube, otherwise keep a clean pair of pants handy in case of mishaps!)
ac9d642fd485b40d7a487c3b29ab184b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
mfllood3800
I picked up one of these last year off of Amazon. Primarily used it while deer/treestand hunting, but could easily work in your tent.

Pro's:

small size - much more compact than any hard plastic bottle. Makes it easy to store in a belt pocket or even a pants pocket (when empty), which means it's easy to access. And let's face it, when you finally give in and decide it's time to go, quick access can be critically important!

Quiet - nothing makes more noise in the woods than an empty pee bottle scraping against a tree or limb, or being crunched and then popping back to shape.

Plenty of capacity. Easily 4-5 before getting full, for me anyway.

Cons:

Not a cheap solution (~ $25)

I think this product was designed more for use in a home with injured patients, not for hunting where 4-8 hours of "storage" is required, so modifications (tape) may be required solutions for issues listed below:

Really wish there was an integrated plastic eyelet to run a paracord loop through. Off the shelf, there isn't a good way to hang it once it's partially full.

Also, since hanging isn't integrated into the product, I'd prefer it if the lid was a more secure screw on instead of just a friction fit. Likewise, I worry about the friction fit for the rubber bag when completely full. Don't want any leakage while hiking out from my stand.

Requires cleaning. Trust me on that one. Not something you want to leave collapsed in your truck without atleast rinsing! It will flat knock you down the next time you pop that cap off to use it!

(Btw, it does work great in the truck though. I'm on the road a lot. Pulling off on the shoulder with this saves a ton of time if you drink as much coffee as I do. Stop, fill, dump and go. Just have to be really focused on your aim and ALWAYS maintain a firm grip on the tube, otherwise keep a clean pair of pants handy in case of mishaps!)
ac9d642fd485b40d7a487c3b29ab184b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I'm not gonna ask how you know the cons to this, but my heart went out to while reading your concerns
lol

Thx for the post.
My Gatoraid bottle is in my pack and comes out when I get to the ground blind or tree stand. Usually quiet and non issue.
Plus I just throw it away and get a new one regularly.
I thought about a Nalgene holster to house it on my belt, but you can figure out easily enough my concerns and why I didn't go that route
;)

OP
mfllood3800
Durango
totally unethical from the odor control police
Lol

OP
mfllood3800
Been a while since I've been reviewing any new gear, but I've been busy with life things...
lol
I have some really good draws for Utah this year that are going to require some additional "scouting" equipment, so I will be investing in more Trail Cameras. I currently have 4 I use, but I will need more to cover a few more areas than normal.
My favorite camera cost $400. I bought it years ago, then realized a guy really needs more than 1, but at that price it wouldn't be that model, not for me any way.
I bought to $99 cameras from Cabelas last year and will be looking at them again- they worked great last year, never changed the batteries and resolution was perfect even at night.
Seems the price went up a bit so I may have to keep searching:
Cabela's Online Store - Quality Hunting, Fishing, Camping and Outdoor Gear

I had 2 more trail cameras that were junk from the get go, one ate batteries, the other just wouldn't take any more than 2 pics. I cant remember what they were but they were only $60 or so...I got what I paid for

OP
mfllood3800
I just finished building my newest arrow set up for elk as well.
Black Eagle Archery X Impacts. I really like these
They are like the Deep Impacts from BEA, but way lighter and a stiffer spine
The X's are a 250 spine, which is great for my cams on my PSE Full Throttle, while the Deeps were 300.

X-Impact Arrows

I cut the shafts to 27", added the SS outsert and a 125 gr tip to bring my FOC to 20% and a total arrow weight at 470 gr. I fletched them with 3 blazers and a right helical with an offset as well.
I made sure to position the outserts so when I screw on my fixed blade (Montec 125 gr) for Idaho it matches the vanes.
I really like this set up better than the 490 of the Deep impacts.
I haven't chrono'd these yet but the speed calculator shows it should be above 300 fps

I have been shooting them since I ended Robby's Cold bow challenge and I love these
The KE and momentum will be perfect for my Elk hunts in Utah and Idaho this year

colersu22

WKR
Price went up on those because they are now 14MP vs the 12MP. I had a 12MP take a crap on me last year and just warrantied it out and they wanted me to pay the difference between the 2 since they no longer make the 12MP.

OP
mfllood3800
They should've given the upgrade to you.
Hope your new one lasts more than one season- let us know please.
Many hunters will soon be getting cameras up and maybe buying some too.

OP
mfllood3800
So I mentioned earlier I have a few good draws this year in Utah. I didn't want this thread to be an all "archery" hunt gear thread. I believe a well rounded hunter is a more efficient hunter. Different weapons mean youre in a different area and different animal behavior.
I am no expert, at any specific big game. I have been hunting them since is was 13 and now am pushing 60. That isn't said to make me appear smarter, just pretty well diverse.

I have a Utah General season Muzzle Loader deer hunt this year
My weapon is a T/C hunter FX Pro with a Leupold Ultimate Slam 3X9 scope
I opted for a see thru scope mount just because of the areas I find many bigger bucks is pretty thick and brushy and the scope isn't always needed in a quick target acquisition scenario

a4a19ef3465c0de1cd11c88734aa52ed.jpg

5c0f6dd56bf500ca355ae93dc692b38e.jpg

I like the Barnes EZ (blue) 250 gr sabot
- I shot many types and various weights but these flew the best for me out to 300 yards
- I can pretty consistently hit a basket ball at 300

25ecc60d8f905efc5bf8fb7b99867911.jpg

e8db147a7ba1425762804518f01697d4.jpg

8713e1facdfd4755eec9b91105db367e.jpg

My powder is Blackhorn 209 and I will load up the T/C to 120 gr of powder with no issues
- I like the Blackhorn cause I don't have to clean the barrel as frequent and it gave me the best group consistency and least drop out to 300 yards
331e075b62bf29aceafb06d05f1ae8b1.jpg

My primer is a shotgun primer by CCI, the 209 primer.
-never had a dud
- some what easy to remove (some primers I can hardly dig them out) yet no blow back

69728bdbe856a2f797cf86c128ce3fea.jpg

Last edited:
OP
mfllood3800
My wife drew a General season Deer Rifle hunt

She has a Rem 700 243... But I bought a Browning X Bolt 300 Win Mag with a break. I honestly feel this gun kicks less than my 30-06 Rem 700
But it will be up to her

Her 243 rifle, I won at an SFW banquet here in town a couple years back for $20
I dipped it in Carbon Fiber hydro film with a bronze paint back ground
Scope is a Leupold Rifleman 4X12X40

I shoot Nosler trophy grade in the smaller caliber rifles

d9f274f2280ca905ca81df0c98632bb3.jpg

5e316a5c97083400343a350e709a8248.jpg

18576efa24f7f67e8c18f1840f588812.jpg

f007c1ef8ccc71f4f9fa039ef2acaab6.jpg

This Remington 700 chassis is just a sweet all around set up.
I have never owned a long range gun, but would like to.

I have done some mods to my 30-06 to help it be a better long range set up, but this 243 is stock other than floating the barrel and bead bedding it.

OP
mfllood3800
My other draw for the state of Utah is my LE Bull Elk Archery
As many can imagine I am putting about 90% of my effort, energy and resources into this once in a life time hunt.

But I also want her and myself to be successful on our deer draws as well.

I have a Elk tag for Idaho this year too, a hunt I am doing a 5-7 day back pack hunt on.
This was my primary hunt focus, until the draw results came out.

Now its Bull Elk Utah archery
then Idaho Bull Elk, Archery
Rifle Deer for the wife
Muzzle loader deer for me

We are also in for 2 cow elk tags, both later season rifle or muzzle loader seasons here in Utah.

I will end the year in Arizona on a Mule Deer Archery hunt in the SW Desert

I am hoping to bring more of each hunts unique gear list items out to help people who might need it.

OP
mfllood3800
If I am blessed to draw cow elk again this year I am bringing out my Browning 300 Win Mag X Bolt
Scope is a Vortex Viper 6X24X50 FFP set up
e0d582c26c24dce37eb5aaa74d4adadc.jpg

6b09fcda60cafae86457e31f86da14ba.jpg

I am shooting Double tap 180 gr rounds thru this rifle
I have it zeroed out at 200 yrds and am still in the process of developing my dope chart for it

OP
mfllood3800
My ole faithful and back up rifle to both rifle hunts is my Rem 700 30-06
I also dipped this gun in Hydro film, added a Timney trigger, floated the barrel, bedded the barrel.
This is a sweet rifle and has served me well for so many years

da7dfa0824f36b106d76c60633db6f7c.jpg

45d8d883395bf069fbf8287c697f0fea.jpg

90392c19eecfce40f0936a437a94f797.jpg

Scope is a Vortex Viper 4X16X50 HSLR
I have the DOPE set up on this one

9066e56af7e0a221f183e9d1f27fdc13.jpg

099b8ef3e7f2f174db9f2fb9681428d3.jpg

038beeee0a99e810703084f2ae7c652e.jpg

I had shot Winchester silver tip Ballistic 180 gr thru this but have switched to Nosler Trophy Grade 180's

OP
mfllood3800
I love my Leupold scopes, but I must say the Vortex set ups I have are pretty sweet.
I am not shooting out past 700 yards at this moment. With that said I feel the Vortex could handle further with no problem, but at my distance they are way more than enough.

I was going to get the Razor model, but couldn't justify the $$ when the Viper was plenty for my range.

The HSLR is a sweet little set up.
It is a second focal plane which is what I have always shot.
I love the zero stop shims on these Vortex scopes allowing me to get right back to my zeroed out set up of either 100 or 200 yrds.

The Viper PST is quickly becoming my new favorite.
Having this on my Browning for over a year now and sending a lot of rounds down range, it proves to be consistent when dialing in and out and back in.

The illuminated reticle is sweet. I use it on a lower setting, which is perfect for me in low light.

I also own a Vortex set of Binos, the Razor HD 10X42- perfect for me for western hunting
When needed I pull out the Vortex spotter my wife bought me years ago - the Nomad 20x40x60.
lol
I don't think these are even made any more, I guess now it is the diamondback model.
They aren't the best in low light but I put my phone Skope adapter on and hook up my phone and it eliminates the dark ring on the edges.

I was on a Mule deer hunt in AZ earlier this year and as the sun was setting, the spotter was really a problem. I am sure the Razor models are much better.
I am currently looking at the Razor 85
The Swary is a nice set up and I feel I can get the same light transmission from a Swary 60 as I can from a Vortex 80-85.
The big difference is the swary 60 and 65's will be lighter than the Vortex 80-85 set ups.

Vortex has great customer service so I will probably stick with them and save about $1500 in the process.
lol

OP
mfllood3800
Leupold Ultimate Slam scope 3X9X40

I love this little scope on my Muzzle loader.

It is BDC reticle
It also has a adjustable dial for various loads for the powder to help keep the reticle on target for you...
If you are using Hornady SST type 2-pellet, they have a setting for your scope for that, if you are using a 3-pellet they have one for that.
Rather than a std scope reticle, they give you a small window of flexibility depending on your powder, sabot and primer of course.

OP
mfllood3800
I went out and shot the Muzzleloader today and the hold over marks on the scope are actually right on the money when I load 120 grains of powder

I shot 100 200 and 300 yards