Gear Test

OP
mfllood3800
Went out a set a camera in an area of "possibility" for my Elk hunt.
First time I got to try the Delorme In Reach Explorer.
It was easy to use , light weight but I wish I had gotten the Garmin version so I could have maps.
I did install the Phone App so I can access my waypoints on maps on the phone.

I may like that feature, but I was used to an all in one system of my old Garmin 62st

I was out for about 3 hrs, hiking, scouting and setting cameras, and the battery only lost 5%.
I was very pleased about that.
My Old Garmin would drain the juice

Another item I wanted was a tool to cut wood for my stove. Its an 18" LO stove so the material can only be so long.
Heading into Idaho for the first time, I have no idea what the areas I have chosen will produce for good sized branches, though I expect a ton of downfall in areas.
I back pack in so weight is always an issue in my gear choices. If Robby wont haul me in on his steeds none of that would matter....
lol

My first choice was a light weight back packers axe from Amazon:
Amazon.com : Ultra Lightweight Camping Micro Axe Hatchet Green Paracord Wrapped Handle : Sports & Outdoors
This axe was like $12

Pros: none, cool novelty item but that's it

cons: too light, too narrow- wont split and doesn't hammer thru either due to its narrow girth

I ended up getting a foldable saw that is killer:
Amazon.com : Sven Saw 15" Blade : Camping Saws : Sports & Outdoors

Sven 15" saw
They have a larger one but didn't need it for my use

pros: super fast, packable, cuts bigger than I need, and not just an "emergency type" saw- it will work all day every day

Cons: a bit heavy to be honest, not overly, but to have the durability it needed to be strong.
I also feel it is a bit pricey at $33

It will be in my pack for sure
If you're looking for a great saw give this Zubat 330mm saw a look. It's not super light at 16 oz with the case and it's not a folder but man does it cut. If you're hunting late season or winter camping and want to cut bigger logs this is the tool. It's around $80 Canadian so what's that 5 bucks US ? ;-) I've had it for a couple years now and use it alot and it cuts as good now as it did new.

240b37f8715240648391739abf69a3ec_zpshfay2h8l.jpg

24264e82c24dbded20c1571f77bf22d8_zpsv5vqzoyt.jpg

OP
mfllood3800
That baby will cut a tree
Looks sweet, could fit inside my rolled up stove pipe too
Thx

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

OP
mfllood3800
So I had been trying to use my CBE hybrid 5 pin / slider sight- Even ordered the bigger .019 pins,
as I couldn't see the .010 pins. They worked with me and sent just a housing with pins installed.

Here is my assessment of CBE and their product and Service

The product is definitely not worth the $$$ they charge.
Why?
-Super noisy
- Sight pin heads are extremely hard to see
-parts don't fit tightly
- pins wont slide in the grooves, too tight of a fit

Service Dept- pretty good
I had good help early on but discovered the sales dept dropped the ball and forgot to send the new sight housing with bigger pins out.
It finally arrived 2 weeks later.

Sales Dept - not good for me

I switched to a Black Gold Verdict Ascent 5 pin slider and so far am extremely happy with it, much easier to see , and quiet.

I'm not trying to bash CBE, but this is a thread on reviewing gear so there is my review of CBE.

OP
mfllood3800
Like most of you, your gear list is probably set for this years hunt, or at least set as much as it is gonna be for now.
I found this cool little card reader set up for checking trail cams, using my PC to look thru them, and even using the phone out in the mountain to view with this reader. Many of you probably already have your set up.

Amazon.com : SD Card Reader, SD Card Adapter, 3 in 1 Card Reader, WOPOW Card Reader for iPhone/ipad/ MAC/ PC/ Android Device, Lightning/ USB/ Micro USB Trail and Game Camera Viewer for TF/SD Card : Sports & Outdoors

I have for years used an old digital camera that came out years ago with a built in view scree. It is like 3". It worked ok, but was just another piece of gear to haul in and out, and another set of batteries to worry about.
Then I came in the modern era and just got the card reader

Now I plug my memory card (standard or micro) into the reader and the micro usb end goes into my phone and I can view them on my phone instead of old camera.

This particular model works with Apple/Droid both. They call it a 3 in 1 and it is like $12 on Amazon

epfd217

FNG
Interesting thread. I literally just got caught up on all 7+ pages. Lots too look at in here and an unusual dichotomy of cheapest possible and high quality. I think there is a little something for everyone here. Good luck on your hunts.

OP
mfllood3800
I want to add this little light in. I forgot I had picked it up on a trip to Indiana this July at Harbor freight for like $4

27 LED Portable Worklight/Flashlight

It is a small LED light with 2 lights for flash light mode and the a couple rows of many for lighting up the larger areas needed.
I used this for Processing my elk this week. I started at around 8:00 PM and didn't get done til 10:30 PM. I hung it in the tree above the site and it stayed on, in the rain the whole time. I do not recall it losing its brightness. It runs on 3 AAA batteries and weighs very little.
For a solo hunter it was a nice addition to my pack.

Pros: water/rain resistant, long lasting, light, compact enough to fit in kill kit pouch
Cons: Wish it was rechargeable, one more thing you don't have to have, but is nice when you want it.
:)

OP
mfllood3800
Boots
Well I absolutely love my Salomon boots. I used thru the entire scouting season and even in daily events of normal life- best feeling boot I have ever had on -period

But I spent the money on a pair of Crispi Summits and for hauling heavy loads I was impressed. It also rained non stop for the breaking down of my animal, and when I got back to camp- my socks were dry, feet were solid and I was glad I spent the $$$

Crisp Summit GTX Hunting Boot

Black Ovis is a dealer for these and when you use the Rokslide10 code name you get 10% off.
I was fortunate to find a local guy get a chance to be a dealer for Crispi so he gave every body an unheard of deal and I got these for close to $100 off. I should've bought more. lol

I treated these 2 times per the instructions prior to using them, then I wash them off, getting mud etc off them. I have just washed them again, and recoated them for the 3rd time with their sealer.

Crispi Boots- IMO , worth every penny, under load, in any weather

After reading this whole thread, I put a couple things on watch alert to contemplate buying later. Good stuff but, you guys carry to much stuff for me. Good luck and God Bless

OP
mfllood3800
Yes it can be over kill. But I hunt so many different seasons and animals so each season has some variances to whats in the pack, just like what clothes you wear.

My last Utah Elk hunt had the pack at around 26 lbs.
My Idaho elk hunt it will be more than double that.

This was just a catch all type of review for some new stuff and options for variable hunt/seasons.

OP
mfllood3800
So this year I was blessed and drew a LE Archery Bull tag in Utah. I set up my Go-Pro on my bow. You need to hit 2 separate buttons, one to turn it on and one to activate the video or camera mode. Well when this is in cased and wrapped in camo decal so the animals don't see all the blinky lights, you cant tell if the thing is on. I had a nice bull come in, so I activated the power switch, hit the button to start the videoing and took the shot, killed the animal and went to watch it on my card reader and nothing. Maybe this happened to you. You never know when it is on or not.
Well I just discovered this item called a Go-Pro bacpac.

Amazon.com : GoPro ALCDB-401 LCD Touch BacPac (Camera Not Included) : Camera & Photo

It is a touch screen that attaches to the back of your Go Pro so you the shooter, can see what the camera is seeing, and more importantly you can instantly tell if it is on and what mode it is in.

It is like $50 and worth it IMO.
I may be concerned with it reflecting a lot of light onto me at early or late shooting hours, but time will tell.

OP
mfllood3800
I bought a Swarovski 25x50x80 spotting scope- no review needed on this thing.

da9623d25fb806560e4f305eb3aa1f83.jpg

So I decided to get the didgi - scoping accessories panned out before my mule deer hunt for the new spotter.

I ordered PhoneSkopes new universal adapter ( I Love It).

621ac29d36bd0d5140533a559f0e7f5e.jpg

But I wished there was a case where I didn't have to take my otter box case off my phone.
So I went to Novagrade- ordered their set up
954de411d7802c0022a39534fcee8d22.jpg

d41525479fd7008dc99535e63c42c747.jpg

I'll be honest: right now I don't like it at all
It locks in well at the slider assembly at the bottom, but the top moves around too much, even after tightening the screw to hold the top in place.
It is built extremely well, and you can leave the phones otter box on- I love that
Just don't like the phones ability to move around in this adapter
I'm new to it, so it could be me, but first impression is weak.
I am not ditching it yet, I will work to get used to it and hope to love it.

I will continue to use my Phone Skope set up on my next Muley hunt in a week.

I also ordered a new Benro Head (not the high end one) just a run of the mill $50-$75 pan head

dc0edad855b523aa2553523c61b631df.jpg

Too hard to micro adjust with its set up
I do not like it, just doesn't fit my way of spotting.
Could be my 80 spotter is just too much for this head.

I will continue to use my Manfrotto ball with a pistol grip

9bc99ec8c2b5a54128aac5a52c57fe4f.jpg

Lastly
I got some hand and feet warmers

7f5373af0dc201743adae415427a8afc.jpg

They work
Overt 6 hrs later and still hot

Just don't mess with them after opening... let them sit for about 3-5 minutes then install them

Last edited:
OP
mfllood3800
Phone skope favors I phones and supplies the accessories for them- us droid users are put at the back of the line

I cant find a Samsung phone skope case for otter box set up yet
Am I just over looking this ?

I plan o play with the Nova grade more, just not on a hunt.
They are a sponsor on here I believe, so they must be worth their weight.

I just need to play more- though it appears to be straight forward set up.

I cant help but appreciate the simplicity of PhoneSkope. They just need to get me a otter box set up
lol

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Phone skope favors I phones and supplies the accessories for them- us droid users are put at the back of the line

I cant find a Samsung phone skope case for otter box set up yet
Am I just over looking this ?

I plan o play with the Nova grade more, just not on a hunt.
They are a sponsor on here I believe, so they must be worth their weight.

I just need to play more- though it appears to be straight forward set up.

I cant help but appreciate the simplicity of PhoneSkope. They just need to get me a otter box set up
lol

I didn't know that. Yes Novagrade is a sponsor. We appreciate you supporting them. They make a solid system. Phone Skope is the lightest though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DE0827

FNG
Been using Salamon Quest 4D-2-gtx boots for a while....
QUEST 4D 2 GTX(R)
- SALOMON

I got these on some kind of a sale - don't remember what it was.
Only paid like $129- a STEAL

Any way I was turkey hunting today in them and decided to go thru the water rather than around.
I was quite surprised as to how well they did. It wasn't until I went pretty deep and the water ran in thru the top (no gaitors)
They stayed dry other than that.
No break in on these, yet the laces that came were junk- would not stay tied for nothing- threw em out 2nd day.
Put a cheap pair on and been wearing these almost every day since

Worth every penny.
Ive been telling myself I need a pair of Crispi Summits, they are even in my cart at Black Ovis (great company by the way and a supporter of ours here at Rokslide).

But just don't see the need yet. No doubt they are a great mountaineering boot, and I will have a pait sooner than later, but I think I will enjoy these Salamons for a bit longer.

I got a pair of those Salomon boots this year primarily for backpacking, but wore them archery hunting as well. I had the same experience with the laces, but just kept using them and now they hold just fine. Actually pretty rugged laces once they are "broke in". Thanks for all the great reviews!

OP
mfllood3800
So back in April I bought this little butane lantern:
Amazon.com: Bulin BL300-F2 Ultralight Camping Gas Lantern: Sports & Outdoors

It worked for 3 nights then just quit.
I brought it home, cleaned it, blew through it with air- still wont work.

It was $27 but in my opinion a waste, at least for me.
I used my battery operated ones anyway and was glad I took those along.
I use my head lamp 99% of the time, but it is nice to get up at 4:30 AM, and just hit the button on the hanging lamp, to get the day started with coffee rather than the head lamp.

I will be getting a Primus now for sure

OP
mfllood3800
I have been using the Havalon knife for many years, but decided to try a more robust type of changeable blade knives. I am not the smoothest field dresser and I often break one blade on an elk or deer and lose another in the animal with the Havalon. So I got the OutDoor edge knife:
Amazon.com: Outdoor Edge Razor-Lite EDC Folding Knife, Orange: Sports & Outdoors

I love the sturdiness of it, but it actually seemed to lose its edge quicker than the havalon.
I gutted, skinned and quartered a deer today with it, but near the end, I switched back to the Havalon as the outdoor edge blade seemed to be getting dull.

I still plan to carry both, but want the blade to stay sharper, longer.

OP
mfllood3800
So I have had my Solomon and Crispi boots for a few high country hunts now.

I like the Solomon 4d-2-GTX best for common use as they just ride better. I scouted in them, even hunted in dry areas with no issues...
QUEST 4D 2 GTX(R) -
Hiking shoes |
Official Salomon(R) Store

But I like the stiffness of the Crispi Summits on side hilling, although I got some toe rub after a few miles with a 30 lb pack on.
The toe is more narrow on the Crispi than the Solomon
Summit GTX Hunting Boot | Crispi Hunting Boots

I will say the Crispi even kept my feet warm in 20 degree weather. After 2 hrs of an early morning sit, they started to get cold, but for a non insulated boot I was surprised at how well they worked with snow on the ground. The fit is pretty tight where I couldn't fit those neat little hand/feet warmers in
:(

Both boots are fantastic for hiking/hunting and have their own qualities for specific use.

I will be getting a pair of Crispi Nevada insulated next.