Will the Nomad 7 Plus charge a Montana?

tttoadman

WKR
Charging anything device directly from a panel isn't recommended. the variable voltage is always bad on equipment. Devices want the power they need, and are not happy when they don't get it.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would get a battery pack of some kind to charge to, then the garmin from the pack. I highly recommend the dark energy but if really any descent one would work. Goal zero makes their venture 30 that I've gotten along with. But I don't think you'll be happy with the results plugging it straight into the panel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
MuleyFever
Thanks. I was reading about the 7 Plus and it says it can directly charge a GPS. I thought I remember reading that most stored energy packs won't deliver the power needed to charge most Garmin units like the Montana.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
The dark energy one definitely will provide power for that. I didn't see that said 7 Plus... all I've been reading about them I actually think you can, although I still wouldn't advise it. They have a new regulating deal that doesn't fluctuate the output power, tries to keep it more constant. It's just going to be super slow. I usually leave camp in the mornings and put the power pack on the panel all day, then come back and charge things at night.

Tsnider

WKR
it probably would get some charge to it, but if your relying on a solar panel im with the power bank idea. im looking at the suntactic 5w solar panel myself because of how light weight it is. either way, since solar panels charge so slow, if it would charge the device it renders it basically useless and then you have to re aim the panels every time you move around which can look like a signaling mirror when fumbling around with them. my plan is to use one of the tiny battery packs that are like 15 bucks and only charge a phone 2-3 times.ill leave setup at camp and be able to charge either my phone, cameras, or delorme at night and alternate daily on what needs charged. this setup will weigh around 12 ounces.

OP
MuleyFever
Jordan, I have seen you push that Dark Energy pack a lot. Why do you like it over other similar ones?

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jordan, I have seen you push that Dark Energy pack a lot. Why do you like it over other similar ones?

It's just held a charge longer than others that I've used. Has a 2.4 output so my phone charges really fast. And they're practically indestructible.

I haven't used a ton of charging packs, but it's the best that I've used so far.

Beendare

WKR
My Anker E5 charges my Montana. You need enough juice to trigger charging, otherwise it'll sit in usb mode.
Exactly, my nomad panels wouldnt chg my garmin 530.

Really negates the advantage of the panels since you need storage battery anyway- unless you are in the woods for a long time. I just bring the storage now, the panels collect dust.

ColoradoHunterHiker

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with the don't charge directly charge from the solar panel - could cost you a device... I also hear that the Dark Energy charger is a great option, but haven't tried it yet. If you use the code "Gritty15" at checkout, you get 15% off thanks to Gritty Bowmen.

I did a video recently on what I use to charge things in the field. Backcountry Chargers

Here are the links to the chargers I use:
Solar Pannel
10,000 mAh Charger
20,000 mAh Charger - Base Camp

Good luck!