What's in your backcountry First Aid kit?

SquidHC

Lil-Rokslider
I used to work as an EMT and my first aid kit could fill a 3500 bag...

I'd like to cut it down, a lot.

What's in your first aid kit, and what are some good resources to watch/read on the subject.

Thanks!

Pm1176

Lil-Rokslider
I used to work as an EMT and my first aid kit could fill a 3500 bag...

I'd like to cut it down, a lot.

What's in your first aid kit, and what are some good resources to watch/read on the subject.

Thanks!

A few tampons for plugging deep wounds, a roll of coban, a sheet of vaseline covered latex for a sucking chest wound, a tourniquet, Benadryl tabs, aspin and medicated eye drops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frito

Lil-Rokslider
Not much for me....Band aides, ointment, alchohol pads and one of those tiny single AAA mag lights. I also carry a second pouch with paracord and biners for whatever emergency I might need them for. Only thing I've used it for is hanging meat. I guess I need to take a look at my first aid kit and make sure it's in decent shape. I was never an EMT but went to EMT "school". I always carry a SPOT, which probably needs to be re-activated.

Dameon

WKR
I carry an Adventure Medical 0.9 kit with an extra trauma kit. I keep it in my pack at all times since I use my pack to hunt by myself, hunt out west with my dad who is on blood thinners, or I'm hiking and camping with a bunch of cub scouts. Probably overkill for most people, but I once saw my dad cut his finger while helping me build a deck. That small little cut bleed for three hours before I could get it to clot. So I carry extra quickclot and pads just for him.

JLH208

WKR
Only stuff I actually know how to use. Small neosporin, couple bandages of various shapes, leukotape for feet, some Vicodin, ibuprofen, super glue, may add tourniquet... Beyond that I'm probably dead anyways

sdfuller

Lil-Rokslider
I carry multipurpose items, and few at that

duct tape: self explanatory
super glue: small cuts, refletching, etc.
compass w/ mirror: useful if your alone and something is stuck in your face/eye
iodine: sterilize wounds & water
gauze: a roll long enough to make a sling if needed
fingernail clippers: cause I never remember to clip my toenails until after I've hiked a few miles and they're starting to hurt
quick clot: just in case something goes really bad
girly band-aides: cause if your asking me for a band-aid for that little cut on your finger then your most likely a girl (or should at least be treated like one!)

I'm pretty light on the first aid department, I feel it's an easy way item to get out of control.

10 x various band-aids
Super glue
Tweezers

All carried in a mini ziplock bag.

I used to carry a bunch of stuff, but quit because it never got used and it got heavy. The odds of having to seal a chest wound or use a tourniquet is so low I don't see the need for them.

mrgreen

WKR
I'm also an EMT (over 20 years), well 'til I let my cert expire a couple of years ago. As with most things, the hard part is not over packing. I carry a CAT, chest seal and hemostatics when I'm hunting anywhere near my 'hunting buddies'- a group of very nice older dudes (combination of age and health issues), who all seem to be on blood thinners and scare the crap out of me when I see them handle their weapons (mostly crossbows and shotguns).

The rest of the time I keep it relatively light;

Bandage/Dressing
-Flat Pack Duct Tape (have to have it, fixes everything)
-Compressed Gauze

Blisters
-Pre cut Leukotape-P (on parchment paper backing, but heels get taped pre-trip)
-Splinter Out lancets (in case of popping blisters)

Meds -Individual Packs of
- Benadryl (allergies and sleep aid)
- Ibuprofen (for muscle aches- plus plenty of water)
- Sudafed (decongestant)
- Excedrin (contains caffeine, helpful when there's no coffee, also for sinus headaches when taken w/sudafed)

Also various wipes in my DOPP kit that come in handy.

Honestly it's more of a "BooBoo" kit. Anything more serious will require rescue/transport, and those guys will bring whatever they need.

This is what works for me, it took years to whittle it down to this.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Does anyone carry an icy hot patch? Might break the hunt with the strong smell but could keep you in the game too.

One resource you could check out is the Gritty Bowman website. Search the "Gritty Index" for first aid and you'll see a couple podcasts/video's. When it comes to gear, I've found this is a great unbiased resource in my opinion.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

mrgreen

WKR
One resource you could check out is the Gritty Bowman website. Search the "Gritty Index" for first aid and you'll see a couple podcasts/video's. When it comes to gear, I've found this is a great unbiased resource in my opinion.
I watched that, like nearly all of their episodes it was pretty good. I think Aron has his kit down to something like Leukotape and a couple of migraine pills.

Felix40

WKR
Tape, extra strength tylenol, tylenol pm. I will probably add one of the israeli wrap bandages this year. I cant imagine needing much more than that.

kit11.jpg

This is my first aid, repair, and emergency kit. Total weight is 13.3 ounces. Everything fits in the water resistant yellow bag.

(Click for a larger picture)

Last edited:

Lawnboi

WKR
Not much. I'm a paramedic, and IMO lots of stuff in the woods can be improvised if needed. Major issues and your probably screwed if your anywhere remote.

Gauze
Tape
Nail clipper
A few alc wipes
A few band aids
Tweezer
Ways to make fire, usually wet fire
Secondary fire starting source
Water purification tabs
Small roll of extra toilet paper
Benedryl, ibuprofen, NyQuil
Needle and thread for gear repair.
Extra batteries

I can see a tourniquet being useful but wish they made lighter ones.

My emergency kit is not solely for the purpose of a traumatic event, more just general everything stuff that needs a place to go. All goes in a dry bag and stuffed in the bag.

I carry a basic kit but just added some trauma items this year
Clotting sponge
Suture kit there is a couple of sizes. Got them at the prepped table at the gun show.
Finger cots
Hemos for plucking thorns porcupine quills or pulling the suture needle.
Tourniquet

Doesn't anyone wear a belt? That's a tourniquet, so is paracord. Your havalon can replace a blade and that thing is like a scalpel. I try not to duplicate items because ounces makes pounds. Some say two is one and one is none. That's fine, but not for me. YOLO.

Tag_Soup

WKR
Figured this thread could use a bump...my first aid and fire kit live in the same dry bag:

First Aide:

Leukotape
Super glue
1 large gauze pad
Small roll med wrap
Ibuprofen
Benedryl
Claritin
Aspirin
Tumms (bad bout of acid took me off the mountain once)
Aquamira tabs
Extra TP

Fire Kit:
Trioxane tablets
Waterproof matches
Light my fire flint/steel
Two small size bic lighters
Vaseline cotton balls
10" square of tin foil (good fire pan if it is really wet)