What's in your backcountry First Aid kit?

muddydogs

WKR
After almost getting shot a few years ago and thinking about what could have been I realized that I didn't use the typical first aid kit stuff and didn't have stuff for major blood loss.
My kit contains some quick clot, israeli bandage, couple big pads and some gauze to deal with lots of blood. I have a few pain meds to take the edge off a twisted ankle or knee and some sling material because I could see me coming out of the woods on my own with a broken arm or messed up shoulder. Other then that I leave the band aids, wipes and other fufu stuff at home.
Biggest safety item I carry is probably my InReach unit.

Beendare

WKR
I think a roll of athletic tape is numero uno- many uses; sealing wounds, etc....even making a splint]

blister kit of course

You can buy little single packs of Antibiotic, wound cleaning pads at REI that take up zero space. One of the clotting pads is the same, light and takes no space....so why not?

Those good butterfly band aids are excellent for sealing even decent size cuts and are easy to use.

I deal with allergic reactions so Benedryl along with Rolaids, Advil.

vlad

Banned
anything that can stop instant blood flows has to be there, pain killer, disinfectant...cotton wool, adhesive bandages in several sizes, adhesive tape.

530Chukar

WKR
Just a couple bandaids, tape, gauze 4x4s, some ibprofen, pain killers, suture kit and I'm going to add a tourniquet. A belt works. Paracord also will work but the pressure created by the small surface area doesn't leave much hope for the limb. In the back country stopping major bleeding is really the only thing that you're going to be able to do in a major accident. IMO anything more is just going to be for comfort. Like someone mentioned earlier, it's very easy to get carried away with this stuff. A lot of gear can be improvised from what's in your pack. We once used a platypus water bladder and tubing as a bag valve mask after a major accident.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimbob

WKR
band aids
4x4 wound dressing
antiseptic wipes
self adhesive wrapping (this stuff is stretchy and sticks to itself, great for getting the right pressure on a wound and can be taken off and reapplied)
duct tape
sting relief wipe
ibuprofen
I would like to get some quick clot stuff in case of more major wounds. However the stuff above can handle most.

Last summer my brother cut his shin pretty good with the chain while we were back in the bush. I had my back pack and was able to clean out the cut with an alcohol wipe, place a couple 4x4 dressings on it the wrap it up with the self adhesive. It was cleaned and dressed in no time and it looked good LOL. Just piece of mind to have a wound cared for properly. 10 years ago my dad cut his hand BAD on a chain saw back in the bush and we wrapped it in a t-shirt and made it to the hospital about 3-4 hours later, the t-shirt worked fine. In a pinch duct tape and clothes is about all you need but its nice to have a few specific things.