Portable Charger Recommendations

Benjblt

WKR
I was hoping to get some feedback on a good backcountry portable charger. I'd be using it mostly for charging my phone that I use for my GPS. I've considered two options so far: GOAL ZERO VENTURE 30 and Dark Energy Poseidon. Any one used either one of these? The Poseidon had more MAH's. Goal Zero seems to have been around longer though. I'm also wondering if the Poseiden would work fine with some of Goal Zero's solar chargers. Any advise or other recommendations would be great. Thanks!

ColoradoHunterHiker

Lil-Rokslider

Tsnider

WKR
heard nothing but good about the dark energy stuff. im concerned on my bigger trips it wouldnt be able to keep up with my phone and a6000, and gopro. i plan on using one of the anker 5000mah or less batteries paired with the suntactics solar charger. those batteries can typically charge a phone one to two times. ill leave the panels out every day while away from camp and be able to alternate charging devices to whichever actually needs it.

mudcat81

FNG
I recently picked up a Anker PowerCore+ 26800 Power Bank. I have only had it for 6 days but it has recharged my phone from around 30ish% battery to 100% five times and it is still showing 60% capacity. So far I am really happy with it. It came with a nice mesh bag but I plan on upgrading to something that will help protect it while I am in the backcountry.

oldgoat

WKR
I have a Poseidon Dark Energy, seems to work pretty sweet, the back packing solar charger are designed to recharge personal electronics so any should be good to go!

dotman

WKR
I recently picked up a Anker PowerCore+ 26800 Power Bank. I have only had it for 6 days but it has recharged my phone from around 30ish% battery to 100% five times and it is still showing 60% capacity. So far I am really happy with it. It came with a nice mesh bag but I plan on upgrading to something that will help protect it while I am in the backcountry.

Best value and very durable. The 20800mah is $39.99 which is a steal and twice the capacity of the Dark Energy. Mine will charge my cell phone crap I don't even know how many times, didn't keep track but it was more then 7 times.

WKR
I use one I got off Amazon. Can't figure out how to link.

Solar Charger, 10000mAh Solar Power Bank Portable Battery Pack Cellphone Charger with 2 LED Flashlights, Solar Panel with Compass and Carabiner for IOS and Android Cellphones(Orange)

Works great

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR

Dodgeis4me

Lil-Rokslider

I also have this charger and many others from Anker... they are the bomb when it comes to battery packs.... I am also trying the thrunite c2 , which uses a 18650 battery but can be swapped out for a new one...its pretty cool for trips I only need to charge my phone once.

ColoradoHunterHiker

Lil-Rokslider
[/QUOTE Thanks. Is the Mopower durable? [/QUOTE]

I believe so. I've packed it into the backcountry 4 times now and it's held up great.

The key with the poseidon is that its "waterproof"... is that worth 5 times the cost? That's the question. For now, the MoPower is where I chose to spend $20 and I'm happy with it. That said, in the near future, I'll try out the poseidon, and of course I'll report back here...

Nuke Man

WKR
I've got the Poseiden and some cheap Pocket Juice packs from Walmart. Honestly both do the same thing equally well. I keep all my electronics in a dry bag, so realistically I didn't need to drop the 80 some bucks on the Dark Energy. I would recommend getting something cheaper.

I dropped the cash for the dark energy and i don't regret it. Ive put it thru some abuse and it still works perfect. For me knowing i have bombproof gear is worth the extra cash.

Dobermann

WKR
^^^ This!

I need to know that my gear won't fail. I've heard of too many Ankers and others failing, but the Dark Energy was purpose-designed, and purpose-built for what we do.

Beendare

WKR
Lots of good tests on these if you Google it.

mAh rating doesnt tell you everything as many fail to live up to their rating

Many factors: its efficiency, the device you plan to chg and its chg rate, having a good cable ( a must) , etc

These 3 come up tops in many tests:
Zendure A2 $30, A3 $38
Anker (many) Powercore 10,000
$23
Xiomi (many) 10,000mAH $23