Headlamps

wildcat33

WKR
BD headlamps are all good. They are so good, I can't imagine why one would bother saving 15$ to buy a walmart type product. One with a red light is a must for hunting.

I have the storm, which for 50$ is cheap in my book for how bright it is. I don't think you can go wrong with the spot either. Petzls are good too, but stay away from the "smart" technology, USB rechargeables and the other nonsense.

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
I use an older black diamond that has the battery pack in the back. I also keep a petzl e+lite in my bino harness or zippered pant pocket.

mcseal2

WKR
I often use a Mammut S-lite just because it is light, uses 1 AA battery (same as camera and GPS) and simple. I have one in my emergency kit and another in the top pocket that I plan to use.

I just bought a Black Diamond Storm I might switch to. I am using ONX maps on my phone now instead of the GPS, so that's one less reason to keep everything AA. I don't always pack the AA camera instead of just the phone anymore either. I considered the rechargeable Black Diamond since I carry a re-charger pack now for the phone since the battery goes quick, but the reviews on the rechargeable part of the light aren't great. Anyway, I just decided to go with the Storm. The lock mode they have really sold me on Black Diamond, I hate having a headlamp come on accidentally and kill the batteries.

Access Denied

I've had the older Petzl Zipka plus for 7yrs, and I've never had an issue with it. I recently bought the newer model just to have in my vehicles. Battery life seems pretty good, and its plenty bright for my needs. If I need more light I use my surefire flashlight.

mrgreen

WKR
I'm a big fan of red OR green lens. Keeps the bugs from flying into my eyes. Been using the BD Spot for a couple of years, I like it enough that I just ordered the '17 model. My son will inherit the older one.

He'll get good use from it. Right up to the moment he loses it!

BD headlamps are all good. They are so good, I can't imagine why one would bother saving 15$ to buy a walmart type product. One with a red light is a must for hunting.

I have the storm, which for 50$ is cheap in my book for how bright it is. I don't think you can go wrong with the spot either. Petzls are good too, but stay away from the "smart" technology, USB rechargeables and the other nonsense.

So whats your beef with the rechargeable head lamps? The 18500 and A123 have been around for over a decade with great results??

I have to bring a battery pack into charge my cell phone and Delorme in Reach, so why not utilize that recharging ability for all devices incl head lamp. We all try to match our gear , whether it be AA or AAA so the batteries are multi purpose for which device needs it.
The issue I have the "recharge" type lights is not the battery or charge issue, its the weight, and the life of the bulbs.

But at 1000 lumen, while tracking my elk for a couple hours at dark, I'd rather have that brightness than the 200 lumen from a BD or petzl.

I'm not putting these down, just don't get your reasoning on the "Smart" lights??