Delorme InReach vs Garmin InReach

My gut, my heart and my brain all tell me DO NOT buy the current Garmin InReach unless I want to be disappointed in under a year when they introduce a completely overhauled new generation of units. I'll wait and watch. No hurry.

I am going thru the same thought process!!
I would like to have something for use by spring bear season. I plan to do as much hunting then as possible because I will have our
daughter here to stay with the wife ( first stages of alzheimer's). I will probably be hunting alone, so in order to make the family
a little less nervous I would like to be able to text them occasionally!!

Bob

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've used the delorme inreach Dr and currently have the Garmin inreach explorer. I can see no substantial difference to warrant the upgrade. They both worked well for their intended purpose.

Live2hunt custom shelters

Read1t48

WKR
I used the Garmin this year. No experince with the Delorme, but the Garmin worked great. Excellent battery life. Easy billing and customer service. Good reception and quick texts

Yellow Garmin InReach was flawless this fall. Great purchase for my use in remote areas. I use the phone and GAIA for the GPS work.

JPGreg

Lil-Rokslider
Anymore updates on this?
I too use Gaia on my phone for GPS but I need a communication device and having one with a backup GPS would be nice.
Considering the Garmin Inreach with the GPS.

K_pem

WKR
Not to completely resurrect this thread. But im looking at the Delorne inreach explorer that cabelas has right now for $200 compared to the $400 garmin. Any reason that its not a good idea to buy the delorne model due to losing services or usability in the near future with garmin?

I honestly only need it for the sos and texting functions as i use on x and battery reserves on my phone for gps uses

rcfireninja

Lil-Rokslider
Not to completely resurrect this thread. But im looking at the Delorne inreach explorer that cabelas has right now for $200 compared to the $400 garmin. Any reason that its not a good idea to buy the delorne model due to losing services or usability in the near future with garmin?

I honestly only need it for the sos and texting functions as i use on x and battery reserves on my phone for gps uses

I’m in the same boat. Probably going to buy the Delorne tomorrow at cabelas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Parx

FNG
I looked at the specs, I have an Delorme Inreach, non GPS version. Usually use my phone and map. Garmin did a facial overhaul, the parts are slightly better, but not much. Might be worth saving some money and picking up a delorme since they are on sale. My only concern would be if Garmin stopped software updates for the Delorme to force you into a newer model, but I havent seen anything on the interwebs.

This was article had some good info:
Preview: New Garmin inReach SE+ and Explorer+