Gear

Hey everyone we drew a 3rd season colorado deer tag this year. It will be our first trip to colorado and our first time hunting in November. We are planning on backpacking in. My question is what items do you guys never leave at home for a late season hunt?

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Congratulations on the tag! It depends on what area of Colorado. I would say a stove.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Warm clothes, a warm bag, a great pad, and a stove. Not sure where you're going, but 3rd season mornings where I'm at are teens to even single digits at times. The day time temps aren't bad usually and the sun typically is out, but you're gonna be cold at night.

Gaiters. There is a good chance you will get snow, depending on the location and year, but a 12" dump of the white stuff can suck to hunt in if your boots keep filling with snow.

ColoradoHunterHiker

Lil-Rokslider
I rifle hunt 444 2nd season and have for a decade or more. Also archery hunted it as well. I've spent many a cold, snowy, windy WINDY, rainy, hailing nights in a wall tent - 3rd season will be much the same range. A good backcountry kit for everywhere else will be complimented by your stove and sleep system. I'd say be sure to plan for lots of heavy snow and be thankful when it doesn't come. Although the weather moving in usually brings the animals, at least during 2nd season it does.

My must haves for 3rd season, though not in 444:
Gaiters
Insulated active hunting jacket (Kenai, Uncompahgre, etc)
Long john bottoms
Coffee - good for sitting and glassing ( or chicken flavor broth) + Bourbon
Good waterproof gloves (Northstars from Kuiu or the Grizzly mit from FL)
A good Blaze orange hat (Beanie, warm)

Good Luck!

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Good point on the good orange hat! Unlike a cheap vest to keep you legal a hat needs to perform.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

oldgoat

WKR
Need to make sure you have a good chunk of orange on your pack e when you're wearing it, it's always been the law it has to be visible 360° but I think it was last year the regs spelled out the part about the pack if I remember right. We don't hunt rifle, but are hunting archery when it's muzzleloader season at the same time and we found some big blaze orange handkerchief we tie to our packs.