Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dotman View Post
    Yeah but we all want the ability to charge from a battery pack away from outlets and vehicles.
    I understand. There are some battery packs that provide a vehicle type plug. I guess I should have mentioned that but others have.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm glad I started this thread, some great information so far. I think I'll look into getting some of those Lithium Ion AA batteries and maybe another battery pack. I really like the idea of the solar panel charger, I see one of those in my future.

Contributing Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveS View Post
    I understand. There are some battery packs that provide a vehicle type plug. I guess I should have mentioned that but others have.
    I see that one above can be ordered for 5pounds, wonder what shipping would be, anyone know of options available that isn't 5v USB, my Anker has a 9v plug.
    Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mcmurder77 View Post
    I'm glad I started this thread, some great information so far. I think I'll look into getting some of those Lithium Ion AA batteries and maybe another battery pack. I really like the idea of the solar panel charger, I see one of those in my future.
    David - For what it's worth, I've not been able to successfully charge my Rino 650's lithium-ion battery using a 5v/2.4a USB power bank and the 5v to 9v Kuncan step-up cable that tToadman refers to above. I've tried the concept using two different external batteries, and each time 70% of the energy coming from the power bank failed to go into my Rino's battery. 20% loss is expected, but 70% loss was discouraging.

I consequently abandoned the idea of using a conventional 5v USB power bank and the direction I'm moving in now involves using an AiLi power bank that has two 5v USB ports (that I'll use for charging my InReach & digital camera), AND a separate DC jack that outputs 9v/1.5a DC. The Rino's lithium-ion battery charging specification is 9v to 10v and 1.4a max. Hopefully, the separate DC jack of the new power bank will charge the Rino while simultaneously reducing the energy loss to an acceptable 20 or 25%. I've got my fingers crossed while the new equipment is in transit.

The reason I've been jumping through all these hoops is to avoid using the accessory AA battery pack. The Rino will not transmit at 5 watts unless it's using its regular lithium-ion battery. If I were to simply pop on the AA battery pack when my lithium-ion battery died, all my future transmissions would be at the 2 watt power level.

Dog812 is a member of this forum that successfully charged his Rino 530HCX using a similar USB power bank that has an additional 9v/2a DC output jack. You may want to study his May 2015 post titled "Charge a Garmin Rino in the field multiple times!"

One final thing - my Anker PowerPort Solar panel outputs 5v/2a max from a single port. In theory, my Anker solar panel should charge the AiLi power bank, as the AiLi's Micro-USB input calls for that same 5v/2a max. If you're interested, I'll update this post with my results once the new equipment arrives. Hope this info helps...

5. Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Clomp View Post
    David - For what it's worth, I've not been able to successfully charge my Rino 650's lithium-ion battery using a 5v/2.4a USB power bank and the 5v to 9v Kuncan step-up cable that tToadman refers to above. I've tried the concept using two different external batteries, and each time 70% of the energy coming from the power bank failed to go into my Rino's battery. 20% loss is expected, but 70% loss was discouraging.

I consequently abandoned the idea of using a conventional 5v USB power bank and the direction I'm moving in now involves using an AiLi power bank that has two 5v USB ports (that I'll use for charging my InReach & digital camera), AND a separate DC jack that outputs 9v/1.5a DC. The Rino's lithium-ion battery charging specification is 9v to 10v and 1.4a max. Hopefully, the separate DC jack of the new power bank will charge the Rino while simultaneously reducing the energy loss to an acceptable 20 or 25%. I've got my fingers crossed while the new equipment is in transit.

The reason I've been jumping through all these hoops is to avoid using the accessory AA battery pack. The Rino will not transmit at 5 watts unless it's using its regular lithium-ion battery. If I were to simply pop on the AA battery pack when my lithium-ion battery died, all my future transmissions would be at the 2 watt power level.

Dog812 is a member of this forum that successfully charged his Rino 530HCX using a similar USB power bank that has an additional 9v/2a DC output jack. You may want to study his May 2015 post titled "Charge a Garmin Rino in the field multiple times!"

One final thing - my Anker PowerPort Solar panel outputs 5v/2a max from a single port. In theory, my Anker solar panel should charge the AiLi power bank, as the AiLi's Micro-USB input calls for that same 5v/2a max. If you're interested, I'll update this post with my results once the new equipment arrives. Hope this info helps...
    Yes please, that'd be great. And thanks for the detailed reply. You would hink Garmin would make this easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    David - you may want to also look at the XTPower MP-10000 variable voltage power bank for charging your Rino. Its supposedly a quality unit, and was formerly marketed by Anker, a brand known for its quality. Two forum members (Dotman & Dog812) evidently use this same 9v/USB power bank to successfully charge their Rinos in the field. I would have bought the XTPower myself, but it can't be recharged from my 5v/2a Anker solar panel.

There are solar panels on the market that output 12v, so you still may want to give the XTPower a close look. Good luck...

8. Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post