Garmin Rino Charging

mcmurder77

Lil-Rokslider
Hello,
I was wondering for those of you that use a Rino, what are you using for a portable charging system? I have a battery pack that works great for charging my phone, and other devices via USB cord, but I haven't had any luck charging my Rino with it. And so far I haven't been able to find a usb-whatever you call the plug that they use.

Thanks,
David

dotman

WKR
Can't charge a Rino by USB, have to have their specific charge cable which is wall outlet only. I recommend getting the AA battery pack for when the lith dies.

OP
M

mcmurder77

Lil-Rokslider
Bummer. I have the AA Battery pack, but it sure doesn't last that long!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ronb

WKR
We use the cig outlet on our portable battery charger. I may buy a second lithium battery for the backcountry. If you turn your tracking off. The battery will last quite a long time.

Rhino 600 Series: use lithium battery pack and buy several but it will cost you money and weight in the pack. Bring Goal Zero (Venture 30 or Venture 70) will add a few charges if you only have 1-2 lithium battery packs. 2) They do have a car charger. 3) They do have a wall charger. 4) No usb charger for that series but the 700 series does have usb option. 5) use the AA battery pack and buy lithium AA batteries. Works well. Lithium is the best option in the cold and they're light. Bring a few replacements sets depending upon how long you're in the backcountry. My rhino will last ~1.25 to 1.5 days before I need to replace the AA lithium batteries. I also dim the backlight. Mute volume. Screen turns off after 1-2 minutes.

Last edited:
They make an interchangeable battery for the rhino that holds AA batteries I carry a spare in my pack with lithium batteries

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

We use the cig outlet on our portable battery charger. I may buy a second lithium battery for the backcountry. If you turn your tracking off. The battery will last quite a long time.

This is a very important point that many don't think about. Unless you plan to walk through the woods with your head down looking at your GPS, there really isn't any reason to have tracking on all the time, unless you want to be able to show the route you took or where you are at any point in time.

Turn it off when you are walking from point A to point B. If it is a long distance then turn it on every 15 minutes and let it catch up to where you are or take a manual waypoint. Look at the different settings and pick something that meets your needs.

Larry

They make an interchangeable battery for the rhino that holds AA batteries I carry a spare in my pack with lithium batteries

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Definitely the way to go. Carry two of these and you can have one in your GPS and the other charging off of whatever system you use.

Larry

This is a very important point that many don't think about. Unless you plan to walk through the woods with your head down looking at your GPS, there really isn't any reason to have tracking on all the time, unless you want to be able to show the route you took or where you are at any point in time.

Turn it off when you are walking from point A to point B. If it is a long distance then turn it on every 15 minutes and let it catch up to where you are or take a manual waypoint. Look at the different settings and pick something that meets your needs.

Larry
Larry I like to leave my tracking on if the weather looks iffy at all while I'm sheep hunting. If the low clouds roll in and visibility is reduced to zero it can be the only way to find your way back down to your camp.

734e746c6f6ddc422a2bb8a98559ec49_zpsapqveonf.jpg

Johnboy

WKR
Larry I like to leave my tracking on if the weather looks iffy at all while I'm sheep hunting. If the low clouds roll in and visibility is reduced to zero it can be the only way to find your way back down to your camp.

Good Lord, that looks gnarly.

Ronb

WKR
I'm not sure why someone would need to track their steps all day long. Just drop a pin at camp and turn your Garmin back on to find camp at the end of the day if the weather turns bad. I can make a battery last three or four days that way.

tttoadman

WKR
I'm not sure why someone would need to track their steps all day long. Just drop a pin at camp and turn your Garmin back on to find camp at the end of the day if the weather turns bad. I can make a battery last three or four days that way.

Easy to get cliffed out in some areas after dark or fogged in, so having a safe path to follow could mean the difference.

Mike, you are absolutely correct. There are definitely situations where leaving tracking on makes sense.

But, in many cases, like walking a ridge line or when you are moving from one landmark to another that leaving tracking on doesn't really serve any useful purpose. If you need to see where you are, just turn it on again. I use this technique with Backcountry Navigator on my smartphone all the time.

Larry