Buy once cry once fixed blade hunting knife?

Dinger

WKR
What he said ^^^ I own plenty of nice knifes, why would I mess them up when I can have a Mora do the job. I can fondle, sharpen, the expensive knifes, but when it comes time to do the dirty work, I'll use a mora.

And you can get them in Blaze Orange.....much harder to lose/forget after using it on the hill. Mine has spent a bit of time clipped to my pack belt, it blends in a little too well on the ground.

20170218_120359-X2.jpg

And you can get them in Blaze Orange.....much harder to lose/forget after using it on the hill. Mine has spent a bit of time clipped to my pack belt, it blends in a little too well on the ground.

20170218_120359-X2.jpg

we have been using these knives (the orange ones) and they are pretty good. I think I am going to round the point a little bit on mine, did a rush job skinning a bear the other night, and it was really easy to poke holes in the hide (and me).

AndyB

WKR
No offence meant.
There is surprisingly little actual cutting to do to break down an animal.

If I had to pick one 'do everything & do it well' knife, it'd be the Enzo Camper.
Good steel, simple profile, great grind, excellent heat treat, comfortable grip & a good sheath. Second choice would be a Mora Bushcrafter.

Rob, is the Enzo camper the third one from the top on your multiple knife pick? I'm tempted by some of those Enzo blades..

robtattoo

WKR
Rob, is the Enzo camper the third one from the top on your multiple knife pick? I'm tempted by some of those Enzo blades..
That's the one! Both the Camper & Trapper are great blades & I love the fact that you have the option of a flat or scandi grind.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

boom

WKR
I got a BushBaby from battle horse and it is okay. Not very sharp from the factory. O1 steel that feels harder to sharpen.

I honestly use my beloved Mora more.

boom

WKR

20170218_120359-X2.jpg

I cut the belt loop off of mine to make it lighter.

desertcj

WKR
I carry a CRKT minimalist bowie and a Kershaw Chill folder. Less than 5oz for both of them and there was no crying involved... $50 Will get you both. They aren't bushcraft knives by any means, but I'm hunting not whittling spoons. With that said, I do appreciate knives with a 4-6" blade. They just feel good in hand.

Last edited:

tommy

FNG
you also cry once when you lose your custom lovless that cost you a half a weeks work thats why i know carry a kershaw 1082r that cost me $19.99 at a local store it has sandvick 14c28n steel is razor sharp and around 4-oz{made in usa} my backup is a buck packlite caper also made in usa and about 3-oz cost was $9.99 at same store harder to sharpen than the kershaw but stll a good little knife

boom

WKR
i love my Mora. but i was sharpening it last night and found the edge very chipped (under a magnifying glass). i used it to take apart a mulie. i SUCK at pulling the leg joints apart so i brutalized that knife. i did something to hurt the edge.

at this point, i might just toss it into my tool box and buy another one..seems like less effort than reworking the edge.

Shraggs

WKR
Bark river. Designs specific for hunting, right steel choices, reliable tempering and full convex from spine to edge.

I own most every hunting knife the made. Many good drop point designs, but also dedicated skinners and several small light blades that have better edge length than those small replaceable types.

woodmoose

Lil-Rokslider
I like the Anza knife I have,,,,but the one that sees the most use is an old Hickory boning knife,,,,easy to sharpen and thin blade to get around bones,,,,that bad boy has probably butchered 200 animals,,,,,but it's not one I tote when hunting,,,,just for boning and processing game,,,,

Fireguy

WKR
Gene Ingram, Charles May, Winston, or Dozier knives are all awesome. Once you use one you will be sold.

Last edited:

Bill V

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'd consider a Bark River knife in A2. Great combination of edge retention and toughness.