OnXmaps mobile questions

lintond

WKR
Considering ditching the regular GPS for my iPhone with OnX app for this fall. So far I think the map is great however I'm unable to pull up any data for a stream/lake/etc like I can on my GPS with a pin. I also haven't figured out if I can drop a pin or mark a point to see elevation and distance. Any help?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just started using it on an android.
From what I can tell no you can not drop a pin and have it pull up any othere info besides land ownership.
When leaving a way point and recalling it later the only info it provides is the lat/long cordinate.

Tsnider

WKR
i really like the app and dont intend to use my gps this year either, but it does have some shortcomings.

download some offline maps in just single squares so it saves quick and turn on "offline" and see what you get. the first time i went out i thought all of the topo overlayers would save offline and they didnt. so i was turkey hunting with no topo which pissed me off. you have to download the topo aerial map and load it separately from just the aerial which is annoying. a lot of the layers wont download for offline use in my experience. however i think being able to see a specific tree 300 yards ahead of where you standing has benefits over standard GPS.not perfect but its getting there.

as far as dropping elevation pins i dont think so. i cant seem to figure it out anyway. you just have to look at the topo.

robAK

Lil-Rokslider
Tsnider-Just got the onX map for phone. Going to CO this year so it's going to be a necessity. Anyways you spoke of offline maps to download and save offline. Could you please pray tell what maps would work best for the app. Just getting used to navigating the app itself. Thanks

I have pinned several areas on mine?

You can link it to your PC and do it that way too.
Read thru the links, look for an icon that looks like a pencil, click it, and it will open up a link to drop a pin

I have done this on my pc and sync'd it to my phone and view it on either.
It doesn't like a browser like "Edge" but IE works fine

i really like the app and dont intend to use my gps this year either, but it does have some shortcomings.

download some offline maps in just single squares so it saves quick and turn on "offline" and see what you get. the first time i went out i thought all of the topo overlayers would save offline and they didnt. so i was turkey hunting with no topo which pissed me off. you have to download the topo aerial map and load it separately from just the aerial which is annoying. a lot of the layers wont download for offline use in my experience. however i think being able to see a specific tree 300 yards ahead of where you standing has benefits over standard GPS.not perfect but its getting there.

as far as dropping elevation pins i dont think so. i cant seem to figure it out anyway. you just have to look at the topo.

I have shared these same frustrations before.

Flood,
Dropping a pin is easy enough but can you get any info besides coordinates such as elevation when accessing them from "my content "

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
What I use with OnX in Colorado. Along with us topo maps pro (one time fee of $10). No the screenshot isn't giving away any secret spots, just visuals for what my layers show. Downloading all them with high detail for offline use takes forever, but worth it.
The last pic is from the tripmaster feature of us topo maps. It will give a lot of detail. So far I haven't found anything close to that with OnX. I was hoping to only use OnX but will continue to use both.
It would be nice when loading a saved track to see elevation.
533cd016ecf3796dc94122a87bf195f5.jpg
b460e7358360202a5d9896e3f0e58f4e.jpg
fff350806aa55f7cd39a2abddf9eeaf9.jpg
aa7274bc89b2441274fb94307ce869fb.jpg

Tsnider

WKR
Tsnider-Just got the onX map for phone. Going to CO this year so it's going to be a necessity. Anyways you spoke of offline maps to download and save offline. Could you please pray tell what maps would work best for the app. Just getting used to navigating the app itself. Thanks

look at fng4lifes photos. the one where it says "my basemaps". those are the ones you want to select and download. i like to download the aerial and the topo+aerial.

OnX needs to integrate that system. i sent an email about my topo layer not saving and its because its a 3rd party layer so they cant allow it. if i chose to have a topo layer on my map, the app should automatically download the aerial+topo to avoid what i ran into.

I use OnX only for the land ownership function. For my GPS needs, navigation, distance to a pin, elevation, topo, satelite, marked pins from computer to phone, etc I have been using the GAIA app. Its $20 for lifetime membership and can do everything you have addressed and then some. Onx is great for land ownership and their computer maps but as far as its GPS functions, not so much.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
look at fng4lifes photos. the one where it says "my basemaps". those are the ones you want to select and download. i like to download the aerial and the topo+aerial.

OnX needs to integrate that system. i sent an email about my topo layer not saving and its because its a 3rd party layer so they cant allow it. if i chose to have a topo layer on my map, the app should automatically download the aerial+topo to avoid what i ran into.
This is why I will continue to use a separate app for the aerial view

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Tsnider

WKR
looking at Gaia premium and it looks pretty sweet. gonna give that a try in a few weeks. looks like they offer the private land data now too.

The only elev info I can see on the waypoint is thru my topo layer. I just follow the topo elev grid ring to determine elev.
I have Aerial and topo as my layers, giving me access to that elev info.

But in the waypoint itself, all I got is coordinates

OP
lintond

lintond

WKR
The only elev info I can see on the waypoint is thru my topo layer. I just follow the topo elev grid ring to determine elev.
I have Aerial and topo as my layers, giving me access to that elev info.

But in the waypoint itself, all I got is coordinates

Yep which is disappointing. I'd like to be able to drop a pin and quickly get the distance and elevation of that spot. I often do that when I am out hunting and see something on a distant ridge. My GPS does it so it's a bummer the app can't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk