Water filter vs purifier

Thor0331

Lil-Rokslider
From what I understood a water filter is usually okay to use in the US. I bought a msr miniworks for my hunt in UT in September, but I see everyone mostly using purifiers now. Has anyone used the miniworks? If it works fine I was think about keeping it and using the steripen to double tap the water make sure it's good. If not, I might just return it for the sweetwater purifier. I want to stay light but I don't know about just the steripen I would like the water pre filtered before drinking it.

AdamW

WKR
There's no wrong answer here. For me, Sawyer Squeeze that I don't let freeze and back flush it regularly. I don't want disinfected turds in my water via the steripen so for me, I like a filter. To each their own.

Don't see why you say most people are using purifiers. I would bet that a good 30-50% of the people on here are using a Sawyer Squeeze or Mini, which is a filter. Unless you are near farm lands in the US I would consider a filter more than fine. If it's standing water that livestock has been hanging out in, or has the possibility of chemical contamination then you would want to consider a purifier. You can also add a charcoal in-line after a hollow fiber when taking a trip to areas where you may want true purification. The Steripen works, but you better be okay with a few chunks. I usually pre-filter with a mosquito net anyways so only silty water would really bother you.

BuckSnort

WKR
I have used a PUR Hiker (now Katadyn) filter for close to 20 years without fail.. I now use a steripen and pre filter just cause I got tired of pumping with the filter..

BradNSW

FNG
Been using a Katadyn for 30 years. My water source last year, for 2 weeks was an elk wallow (deer/elk/moose turds and all).

4 quarts a day w/20min of pumping.

snowtoy83

Lil-Rokslider
I have a msr mini works and filtered some water out of a wallow full of elk turds last year. I was a little skeptical but it tasted fine and I didn't get sick.