leatherman multitool.

boom

WKR
i was literally parking my truck at the trail-head when i had a forehead slapping moment. i forgot some small pliers to catch and release trout. duh!

then i remembered my truck tool that i rarely use. the Leatherman FUSE that sits in my truck full time. i grabbed it and dropped it into my pocket.

i also had a Buck 112 in my pack for the knife that was gonna ride shotgun on this little trip into the Sierras. i kid you not, it never left the pack and i'm bummed i carried the extra weight.

that leatherman rocked! unzipping the belly of a trout. the tiny scissors were damn near perfect cutting 2lb fishing line, the pliers steadied boiling hot pots balanced on cook stoves, took out a splinter from my finger, was the perfect crab cracker for crayfish claws..i got it home, washed it, and it didnt need any sharpening. i did strop it "just because".

i am rethinking the multitool. it might live a life outside my glovebox on my next hunt trip. it's crazy how sharp the knife gets on one of those things.

OP
B

boom

WKR
i whittled a pokey stick out of some super hard wood i found and made one of those garbage picking stabbing tools. i picked up more toilet paper and butt wipes around the trails than i care to even think about being out there..all that went into our last camp fire in a blaze of glory.
that stick would have dulled my Buck i think. it was very hard wood and very knotty. but it was the straightest stick i found.

Glad you're having such success with yours. I've found them to be frustrating in that they do most things half-assed, and when the going gets tough, that thing twists or collapses, maybe pinches my finger, and just plain fails me. I'd rather have the real tool (knife, screwdriver, scissors, pliers) rather than the multitool. Don't get me wrong: they've saved my butt a time or two, but still would rather have the dedicated tool.

Good on you for picking up other people's trash, I hope the next person through there appreciates your effort.

Leatherman Charge Titanium. Unmatched

This +100. I only take a Leatherman Charge Titanium and my Benchmade Bushcrafter. Between those two knifes there really isn't anything I can't do in the backcountry. I also think that the blade on the leathermans is quite good, you could breakdown an elk with one. No I haven't done it, but have processed enough hard materials with one to have a very good feel for the edge retention.

The thing I distrust the most are the scissors and some of the bits, specifically the phillips.

I've cut up several tons of game with Leatherman tools. As long as they have locking blades, i find them a decent knife. The pliars and scissors are good too. The can opener works but isn't great. Today I pair one with a replaceable blade knife on all big game hunting trips. One rides on my belt at all other times too unless I am flying or in a setting that a multitool is inappropriate to wear. Gets used many times a day. That said I have plenty of dedicated tools for major projects.

I got a Leatherman Wave as a graduation gift 15 years ago. It's gone on just about every adventure and hunting trip since then and cleaned lots of trout and grouse as well as numerous other small chores.

Tsnider

WKR
i always have a leatherman wave on me, and i use it a ton. its heavy for backpacking but it has too many uses. i have found a good use for every tool on that thing.

Is there a difference between the charge Tti and the wave other than titanium and a few Extra $$$? Seems like they are both around 9oz.

I couldn't say without looking. It's just the one I have and carry everywhere I go. I don't pay for them so I couldn't tell you what they cost. Perk of the job. I've tried several other models and none have compared. The only major downside is that if you love knives you are constantly disappointed that you have virtually no reason to have any other knives on you. I'm being dramatic of course but it is a great tool.

Is there a difference between the charge Tti and the wave other than titanium and a few Extra $$$? Seems like they are both around 9oz.

Looking at their site they appear to be largely the same except:

- Titanium handles on Tti
- Crimper on tti
- Gut hook on the serrated blade on the Tti
- S30v steel on the straight blade of the tti bs 420 on the wave.

Wave is $90
Tti is $170

mcseal2

WKR
I've been packing a Leatherman Wave around for work for over a decade. Well not the same one, I've broke some stuff on them abusing them. All it was my abuse and not normal wear. I ended up putting those 3 in my saddle bag, UTV, and truck. I could send them in but I never did. They are sure handy to have. I don't always pack one hunting when counting ounces, but always do camping, fishing, or working.

Dinger

WKR
Skeletool...clips onto a belt loop or slides onto pant pocket, I'm never without it. Before I leave the house: wallet, phone, skeletool, car keys sunnies.....

My wife bought it for me and loves the fact I've carried and used it constantly for years.

Edit: Also one handed open for the blade...very handy.

Last edited:

Owenst7

WKR
I have used a Skeletool as an EDC on my right pocket for about a decade now. It is very frustrating when I don't have it on me (flying somewhere or the occasional misplacement). I use that thing all the time. It's got all the tools it needs, and I really haven't found that I miss all the other bells and whistles on my SuperTool or my 20 year old Gerber (don't remember the model).

I do have the Gerber tied to my backpack simply because it's only 1 oz more than the Skeletool, and it has a lot more tools for that one ounce. Not that I use it hardly ever, but I like having a file and saw with me when I'm in the backcountry. The file works well for toenails, and the saw can be handy for a few things on rare occasions.

A multitool is all I ever carry for fishing. The pliers have always worked just as well as hemostats for me.

I've broken half a dozen Leatherman's since I was a kid (always misusing them as a prying tool lol), and they've always repaired or replaced them at no charge, no questions asked.

Dobermann

WKR
I've also carried a Leatherman Wave with me every day for nearly 20 years. Other than a slight amount of play (probably from putting it to heavier-duty use than it was intended for), it's still a champ.

A few years back, they add a locking system for the smaller tools, which added unnecessary bulk and weight to me, but it's still a great all-round option.

Black Ovis currently has them as discontinued, at only $70, which is a steal: Leatherman Wave Multi-tool

GKPrice

Banned
Leatherman Charge Titanium. Unmatched

AGREED 100% also - I don't know what brand/style the naysayers are using but it ain't this one ! I use it every single day for something, usually multiple tasks and have been for goin on 4 years - I don't care for the way Leatherman grew and turned their back on the cool CS center they had at the factory, THAT was a mistake - tired Gerber and Schrade but quickly reverted to my Leatherman (GREAT ASSET)
BTW, field dressed an entire cow with a Skeletool last year (left my pack in rig) and it was still sharp enough to take hair off my arm

frankrb3

WKR
I have two leatherman waves and the crunch. I love the crunches ability to lock down like a mini pair of vise grips. If it had a pair of scissors it would be perfect.

outdoor_matt

Lil-Rokslider
I use the leatherman freestyle and for me it's perfect. Just the pliers and one knife blade. It's all I need 99% of the time and it's really small and compact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk