Suunto watches?

Looking at getting a nice watch, So I'm not killing my phone battery tracking time and distance etc. What's everyone's favorite and why? What you look for in a watch? Suunto has quite a few options/models. What's your pick and why?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

jack88

Lil-Rokslider
Ive had a Suunto core for years, wouldn't trade it for anything. The newer models sure look nice but the price tags are large.

Stwrt9

WKR
I bought a sunnto ambit 2 about 2 years ago on eBay and It's been great. It's super easy to use and is easy to read.

I'm a Garmin fan. Take a good look at the Fenix 5X. I've sold many of these and hundreds of other Garmins, many of which are to previous Suunto owners.

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
Running the Traverse and it has been really nice. GPS works well and locks on quickly for me also. You don't get maps but more of a breadcrumb which helps get back to camp.

Shraggs

WKR
Citizen eco drive. It is small fairly plain watch, thin and light. Layers well under or over cloths. The band is canvas with grommet holes and has not failed or wear at all after years of use. Never needs a battery, water proof. I think my model is BM8180

P Carter

WKR
Suunto Ambit 2 here as well. It's really nice. A game-changer for me, navigation-wise. I'm much more likely to actually use the technology when it's on my wrist instead of in my pack. I use paper maps for overviews but the Suunto for waypoints, times, directions, elevation, etc. I use it almost every day running. It has its quirks, but once you figure it out it is amazing.

I'm sure Garmin makes good products too. The point being, a GPS watch is really nice.

boom

WKR
I'm a Garmin fan. Take a good look at the Fenix 5X. I've sold many of these and hundreds of other Garmins, many of which are to previous Suunto owners.

dang,,nice watch. my wife gets a work-budget to buy one health piece of gear annually..i just sent her a link to this.

hope she says yes!! it will be FREE to us!!

Thor0331

Lil-Rokslider
Ambit 2. Second suunto, first gps watch. Gets the job done and they take a beating. The battery lasts weeks if you're not using the gps like crazy

I bought the fenix 5 and had trouble with it, I had to go online multiple times and then one day the face just started flashing. I returned it, what was the deal?

pj2147

FNG
I've had the original model ambit for 5 years and the battery life is still solid. Which was my primary concern. I keep looking at upgrading to a newer model, but the current one keeps me happy. So +1 for quality from Suunto.

DenRuyter

Lil-Rokslider
Just went through this 2 months ago. For me it came down to the Garmin Fenix 5x and the Suunto Spartan Sport Wrist HR. I ultimately went with the Suunto because I get a good discount through them, but have been really happy. It's not overly complicated and I like having the heart rate monitor built right into it for training. I do think the Garmin is better for GPS, but the breadcrumb feature is good enough for what I need.

I bought the fenix 5 and had trouble with it, I had to go online multiple times and then one day the face just started flashing. I returned it, what was the deal?

I had the exact same issue and when I returned it they said it was the second one that week. The features were awesome but reliability is the most important thing. I now have the suunto spartan sport

dotman

WKR
I've had a suunto for years, it's all beat up and keeps on working. That said, I never use for anything other then checking time. I doubt I replace it with another multi function watch when it dies or I may get a Garmin that tracks heart rate etc and can Bluetooth to my phone.

jtw

WKR
I have the ambit 3 sapphire. I use it with a hr strap when running. And use it for navigation and route tracking for mountain activities. The only thing I don't like about it is the size and weight. It's huge!