What tripod?

chriso

FNG
Hey guys,

Looking for a decent tripod for scouting. Lightweight is a must as it'll be packed in my pack. I'm running leupold bx-3 mojave pro HD's 10x. I'm from CA and hunt up in the eastern sierras. I've just braced on my knees/pack for years etc but after looking through some binos on a tripod, I need one. I'm not trying to break the bank but do want good quality that will last. All recommendations are appreciated, thank you.

FlyGuy

WKR
If you really want lightweight, look at KDC (Kramer Design). I just ordered the granite peak, arriving this week. I don't think there is a lighter set up than this one on the market. I think I'll actually use it more often, since it is light enough to carry in a cargo pocket. There is a review on Rokslide. I'll be using this to run my 8x30 ELs and my Vortex 55 spotter. Pretty sure I'll be leaving my slick tripod and 85 spotter in the truck this year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

boom

WKR
i have gotten really familiar with my Silk 624 carbon..it is light and compact. very stable for me.

OP
C

chriso

FNG
What heads are you guys using primarily? I'm new to the tripod game and not sure exactly what all i'll need besides the tripod to set up my binos. I don't have a spotting scope currently. I was looking at manfrotto/or outdoorsman tripods but there seems to be so many options.

OP
C

chriso

FNG
Thor, is this tripod comparable to some of the others out there? Vortex gives me a 40% off msrp law enforcement discount so this is appealing.

DenRuyter

Lil-Rokslider
Basically a knockoff of the Slik, I'm using a Sirui T-1205x and couldn't be happier. Lightweight Carbon and it's been very durable and stable. Picked it up off eBay for around $200.

Thor0331

Lil-Rokslider
Comparable? Depends how on your budget I guess. I haven't looked that much Into tripods. That KDC one is only 8oz which is pretty impressive. But you can beat 40% off

Tsnider

WKR
the vortex summit with the manfroto befree head is a pretty affordable option if you buy the tripod used. their tripods are covered under warranty. i use mine with my vortex 65 spotter and its great.

Stwrt9

WKR
Just p picked up the vortex summit ss-p I had some cabelas points/gift card to burn and was looking for something cheap and light. This should fit the bill and seemed sturdy for what it is. Maybe down the road I'll get into the expensive optics game but for now this seems like a good tripod for the money.