Head Lamp

mavmskyb8

FNG
Hi Guys-
In your opinion, what is the best headlamp that is:
Rechargeable, Has red/and or green light options.
Cost is not an issue.

Thanks!

Bret

young7.3

WKR
I don't run rechargeable head lamps due to the fact if it dies in the back country it's useless. It is much easier to carry 3 lithium AAA batteries and swap those out if my hl dies. Plus the rechargeable batteries in those headlamps are typically junk after a year or two.

I use a Princeton. Has 4 led settings of white light, but am thinking about picking up a headlamp that has a red/green light on it.

fenix hl60r fits your specs. it rechargeable off a micro usb so if you carry a portable charger you can use that. has a red mode as well.

Ruskin

WKR
This is always an interesting question. The white light on these thing can get crazy bright...it's almost expected. I still see a big range in the red / green light power. Anyone find a rechargeable with red/green that usable to hike with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FlyGuy

WKR
I don't run rechargeable head lamps due to the fact if it dies in the back country it's useless. It is much easier to carry 3 lithium AAA batteries and swap those out if my hl dies. Plus the rechargeable batteries in those headlamps are typically junk after a year or two.

I use a Princeton. Has 4 led settings of white light, but am thinking about picking up a headlamp that has a red/green light on it.

I agree. Lithium batteries last so long in a headlamp that I can't find value in a rechargeable. These LED lamps work great until the battery is almost dead so there's not much "warning" before they go out. Easy enough to pop in 3 new batteries if that happens during a long hike in or out in the dark, but it would ruin my day if I had to sit there for 30 min waiting to recharge before carrying on. That's always been my concern, so I've never considered them. Feel free to enlighten me if I am mistaken.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I'll add: I prefer rechargeable Li-Ion 18650 batteries and units using them (like Zebra Lights). One fully charged 18650 will get me through a 2 week wilderness hunt. I bring one extra charged battery with me as a backup in case it's needed.

boom

WKR
i run a single AA battery ZebraLight. dont ask me what model..that 17 digit model number they use i forgot..(okay i exaggerated..about 5-digits :))

i like it. i rarely find it accidentally turned on in my bag. unlike my BlackDiamond. that thing was haunted. it was usually turned on, in my bag. it's not to bright, and dimmable from that. so i can hike on the lowest setting and not kill a battery. i can read a map without blowing out my eyeballs. ready or not, i just put in a brand new battery and it just goes and goes. i've done a 10 day easy..

i wish Zebralight would come out with some brightass headstraps...make it easier to find in a dark bag.

bbenn

FNG
I run a Black Diamond light. It's USB chargeable and can be ran by AAA batteries. It has the ability to have each light mode dimmed or brightened. The manual says that the rechargeable batteries don't provide the output as standard AAA batteries. I've been using the light with rechargeable's and haven't' had to charge it yet. Prob. 25-30 hours and maybe 3 hours of high output.

Akicita

WKR
I run a Black Diamond light. It's USB chargeable and can be ran by AAA batteries.

The Black Diamond ReVolt is a great headlamp. I run a Black Diamond Storm as my primary headlamp and a second one as a backup/reserve. Whatever you do plan on two of whatever you choose. There is nothing more frustrating or demoralizing than a lost, broken or dead headlamp in the middle of the night far from camp or home.

twall13

WKR
I'm also a fan of the 18650 battery. I'll never go back to AA batteries for a backcountry headlamp after the output and longevity I've gotten out of my 18650 batteries. I like the zebra lights alot but they don't meet your red/green requirements unless you get a red bulb with no option for a white light. I recently picked up a Fenix HL60R to compare to the zebra lights. It has similar performance, has a red light and has a port to charge the 18650 on the fly (it's also replaceable so you can bring a backup). I'm really liking it so far but it is a bit heavier than the zebra lights. I personally don't mind the off center bulb on the Zebras but if that bothers you the Fenix is centered as well. I'm going to do some more comparing this weekend to decide which I prefer but I'd definitely give the Fenix a look if you want a red light and awesome performance.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Since I have a pack that recharges my phone and camera equipment anyway, I switched to all rechargeable items, enemy my camp light, all on li -Ion
Types, and they last forever
I have the Fenix head lamp
It had red, white

I also got the extra 1850 battery, which is the only extra battery I have to carry.

I use a little clip on light on my bball cap that also has a green light, white light for hiking in, out
That is my back up if the Fenix fails and its always on my cap
Just my system, works for me

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk