Pistol Help

big fan of my hk p30L in 9mm
get something you can control raipidly vs something with 1 big boom that takes you seconds to get back on target

Second for the H&K P30L. This is a great gun. For conceal carry, get the P30, which I carry for around town. The grip is very customizable and the ergonomics are second to none. My wife competes in USPSA with her P30LS (S = safety) and loves it. She has shot about 6,000 - 8,000 rounds through it.

For the OP, to be clear, the greatest accuracy tool you can buy is a reloading machine. Practice is WAY more important than anything else. When you conceal carry, think about missing and where those bullets can go. Shot placement over caliber every time. When you miss, the caliber is useless. 9mm is cheap, easy to shoot, easy to practice with and with the improvement in bullet designs, wound cavities are much greater.

Stay away from revolvers. "Stopping Power" is a myth.

Grambo

Lil-Rokslider
Lightweight : Springfield XDs 9mm 2 clips
Heavyweight : 1911 Colt Commander 45acp 2 clips
Bearweight : Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan full load + speedloader (only to keep shells together)

Ammo is by choice with so many to choose from.

awaldro7

Lil-Rokslider
Depends on if you are looking for a gun to carry in the woods or a concealed carry weapon. I tried several different handguns, holsters, carry positions before I found something that works for me and my daily use. A lot of people want to buy a full size frame auto and claim that they carry it but they only leave it in the truck. To me if you don't carry it on your body from the time you leave your house in the morning until you go to bed at night then there is no point in having it in the truck. I finally chose a g26 in a DeSantis Die Hard ankle holster. This allows me to carry discretely in nearly all environments and the muzzle is always in a safe position. The g26 is the max size in an ankle rig to me and if I were making a recommendation for ankle carry then it would probably be the g43. For carry in the woods I opt to carry the G20 10mm.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
My most every day carry is my G20 10mm, so I carry it in the woods as well. I hardly ever even know it's there. Fantastic accuracy gun, and if you reload it's cheaper than factory 9mm ammo, and it has a large range of loading capability.

JWP58

WKR
Glock 20.

I'd avoid guns like the Judge, they're a gimmick.

I used to say that too, until I saw a fella that took one shell of 3" .410 buckshot to the chest. He was not in good shape, and lucky to be alive. Are they for me? No. Are they a gimmick, I dont believe so.

To the OP, the intended use of the pistol should be the primary question. Without knowing that, its impossible to suggest something. You want the right tool for the job.

Is it only going to be carried while hunting? Or is it going to be carried concealed also? Are you looking to train a lot with it, or seek to take a training class with it? Do you want a large aftermarket (holsters, etc)? Will this be your "do everything pistol so I can spend $$$ on other stuff" gun?

I would suggest answering some of those questions, then make a list of handguns you are considering. With that list I would go to the nearest indoor range that offers rentals and spend an afternoon shooting the various guns you are considering. Pistols are a very personal choice. Each platform is a different animal. Grip angle, grip shape, grip size, bore axis, user controls, triggers, all play a role in which you'll perceive as "THE ONE".

Last edited:
OP
Elkoholic87
Thanks for all the input. A 10mm sounds appealing. There seem to be negatives in regards to the ammo being less available and more expensive, but seems ideal for a side arm in the woods. Why wouldn't the 10mm be an adequate home defense pistol according to some?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JWP58

WKR
Thanks for all the input. A 10mm sounds appealing. There seem to be negatives in regards to the ammo being less available and more expensive, but seems ideal for a side arm in the woods. Why wouldn't the 10mm be an adequate home defense pistol according to some?

I don't think there is any argument that 10mm isn't adequate for home defense...or bear defense. Maybe too much recoil in regards to full power loads, but you can always just run lower commercial loads if it's an issue. The only argument against 10mm I would have is ammo cost.

10 mm would be fine for home and self defense. Also, 10mm is a great cartridge on the trail. There is a reason glock 10s are popular in bear country.

Google the 10mm history if you care to learn more. In short, it was designed by a leading handgun expert who favored heavy, hard hitting bullets to be shot by experienced shooters. While, I wouldn't easily contradict ole Col Cooper on this or many other topics relating to pistol craft, I would note that the round was created in a period where bullet technology isn't what it is today and the .357 was considered the premier defensive pistol rounds of that day. More contemporary views favor defense pistols in smaller calibers with modern hollow points.

The FBI flirtation with 10mm is instructive. After its rapid adoption, they standardized around a lower power load due to recoil issues. They ultimately gave up the 10'in favor of 9mm. Ballistics from their shootouts were not bearing out the case that the 10mm was any more effective than other available rounds for 2 legged critters. Meanwhile, 10mm Recoil is snappy. The guns were bigger and had shorter service live. Not the easiest gun to learn on or control for even an experienced shooter. You won't find the bullets everywhere and they are spendy.

Most LE agencies and civilians that carry have shunned the 10mm for the reasons above. It still has a cult following in the SWAT community and a few other places. For antisocial purposes the 9/40/45 calibers just seem to get the job done well without the recoil and costs.

From what you've posted, A glock 29 would be a heck of a choice if you wanted to strike a balance between a gun that is thought to have enough power for bears and still remaining shootable and small enough to carry concealed on the street. It will not be the funnest gun to learn on and shoot though.

Brendan

WKR
Glock 21. Allows you (with replacement barrels / mags) to run 45 ACP, 45 Super, 10mm out of one gun. 45 for range time. 10mm or 45 Super for woods carry.

45 Super (with a better barrel, spring, compensator) will allow you to run up to low level 44 Mag levels with even more power than the 10mm or the 460 rowland if you ever want to get into the details of hand loading.

Although - a 9mm with the right ammo is fine for EVERYTHING up through black bears until you get to grizz, cheaper and easier to shoot.

Easy solution - G20/21 and a G26 :D

AdamW

WKR
"For sidearm for what purpose(s)?" was kind of my first question. Everyone has their favorites but depending on what you're wanting it for answers might vary widely. Same with rifles or backpacks.

Don't worry, we'll help you spend all the money you want. :D

Nuke Man

WKR
I carry a 9mm everywhere. If I was only allowed 1 handgun, it would definitely be my Glock 19. If I ever go to grizzly country though I'd definitely carry something bigger.

I carry a 9mm everywhere. If I was only allowed 1 handgun, it would definitely be my Glock 19. If I ever go to grizzly country though I'd definitely carry something bigger.

Similar opinion here. I carry a Glock 26 whenever i have pants on so im very familiar with how that gun runs. For my Idaho trip i carried my G19 with a light. Definitely not the lightest option but i felt comfortable with it. The buffalo bore loads pack quite a wallop for a 9mm round. If i was worried about grizzly i would step up my game though.

Lot of good guns out there. Go to a shop and see what you prefer and whats best suited for your intended use.

hflier

WKR
Classified Approved
Carry a Glock 19 or a SIG Tactical 1911 in 10mm when I leave the house. Like them both. In my option formed by 20 years of everyday carry and lots of shooting practice is the Glock 19 is a perfect beginner carry gun. Most guys go too small for their first carry gun because they are paranoid about people seeing it. But small guns are hard to shoot accurately under stress. I prefer to carry big guns and I am only 5'6". In a crunch they are easier to get on target. Even when my gun hangs out most people don't even notice. In the woods I carry the SIG 10mm in a chest holster by Gunfighters Inc. that gun is awesome.

WKR
You can shoot .40 out of the glock 20 for practice without any modifications. Much cheaper, minimal recoil. Then carry full house 10mm in the woods, and a hollow point for social situations. The 29 would be hard to argue against as the same gun slightly smaller.

I carried the Ruger Alaskan in .480 which is an amazing bear round, but the gun is a boat anchor. Much happier with the glock 20 and it's 16 round capacity for less weight.

I will go to the other side and recommend a S&W 329pd 44 mag. Super light weight, which means pretty snappy recoil but it's got plenty of stopping power and you would not need to "upgrade" if you were hunting in grizzly territory. You could shoot 44 specials out of it for practice, then put the hardcast bear loads in for the trail. The red fiber optic site is really easy to pick up as well for quick shots.

Just another approach.

OP
Elkoholic87
A local gun shop has a Glock 20 10mm gen 3 for $449. Apparently it's from an estate sale, but the guys said it's in excellent condition. Does that seem like a solid deal? Gonna try and check it out in a couple days.

Owenst7

WKR
My CCW pistol is a Sig 938 in an Aliengear IWB 3.0. That's typically what I carry backpacking. I haven't figured out a perfect way to carry with a backpack, but the Osprey auxillary pouch that clips to your sternum strap has been OK for now.

I carried a .44 magnum in Alaska when I was in an area with bears where there was a lot of brush. I wouldn't recommend that gun for much else as it is huge and extremely heavy. Not very practical for target shooting either.

I carried an XD when I expected to fall in mud or a river. It's a cheap gun that is tough and reliable. They were cheaper than Glocks at the time by a lot, but I'd probably choose a Glock due to the lower barrel if they were the same price. Muzzle flip on an XD can be pretty bad compared to others.

"Stopping power" is very dependent on what you're stopping. No sidearm is going to work well for everything. The most common choices are going to be .45, .40, and 9mm. I might switch to .45 for my EDC if I still lived in Alaska due to being a little more comfortable with it for black bears. I had a lot of close calls with them even in my yard with big dogs running loose.

The EAA Witness / CZ75 is an excellent pistol, especially for the price. They are one of my favorites for target shooting. I wouldn't hesitate to carry one, but I have a CCW and they aren't very practical for a skinny guy. If there was one similar in size to my Sig, I'd strongly consider switching to it. Beretta 92FS is another excellent target/duty pistol. The old S&W 6906 that was a common police duty pistol is great too, although I'm not sure that a used pistol is a great idea for a newbie unless you have a way to make sure you don't get hosed.

If you're planning on concealing it, the width of the gun is way more relevant than the length/size. I'm pretty skinny and have a lot of difficulty concealing anything double stacked.

I also have zero interest in anything for defense that doesn't have night sights after carrying my Sig for a few years.

The most functional pistol for defense is one that you have a ton of practice with. For that reason, I would not recommend anything chambered in 10mm, .380, .44 mag, etc unless money for target ammunition will be of no concern to you. I usually recommend a 9mm that is practical to target shoot with as a first gun because they are cheap to shoot and functional for a lot of applications. Something like a S&W Shield would be a good compromise if you intended to use it for concealed carry and aren't easily able to conceal a larger gun. Don't start with something that will teach you bad habits.

Last edited:
You can shoot .40 out of the glock 20 for practice without any modifications. Much cheaper, minimal recoil. Then carry full house 10mm in the woods, and a hollow point for social situations.
Not sure about using .40 in a 10mm. The cartridge (both of them) headspace on the mouth of the case, and with the .40 being shorter might cause problems with chambering in the 10mm. I could be wrong on that though. You can buy some lower power loads for the 10mm, but they are still more $$$ than your run of the mill 9mm ammo.

AlaskaEd

WKR
Not sure about using .40 in a 10mm. The cartridge (both of them) headspace on the mouth of the case, and with the .40 being shorter might cause problems with chambering in the 10mm. I could be wrong on that though. You can buy some lower power loads for the 10mm, but they are still more $$$ than your run of the mill 9mm ammo.

100% good to go on the Glock. It doesn't care about the headspace. I have personally done it many times, going so far as shooting USPSA matches with .40 in my G20. I couldn't say for other pistols. The only problem you MAY have is if you only shoot 40 it may develop a ring in the chamber after tons of rounds. The Glock chamber is fairly loose, so this still may not be a problem.

100% good to go on the Glock. It doesn't care about the headspace. I have personally done it many times, going so far as shooting USPSA matches with .40 in my G20. I couldn't say for other pistols. The only problem you MAY have is if you only shoot 40 it may develop a ring in the chamber after tons of rounds. The Glock chamber is fairly loose, so this still may not be a problem.

Good to know !! Thanks for the info. I don't personally own a 10mm right now, but it is on my "one of these days" list. .40 ammo is a lot cheaper and easier to find.