Pistol Help

WKR
Yeah, I'm no gun expert, but have consistently read from those who are, and my own novice experience that .40 is no problem for the glock 10 mm.

My CCW gun is the S&W shield in 9 mm. The recoil of the Glock 20 with 10 mm is about the same as the shield with 9mm, heavier gun and what seems like a softer spring in the glock.

I do live and hunt in grizzly territory and much prefer the Glock, in large part due to the retention holsters available for it. Getting unsnapped, and a revolver on target would take literally 3x the time (for me) as the glock/serpa system. Personally, I like revolvers more, but think the glock is a more useful tool.

desertcj

WKR
I carry a Kahr CW9. It's like 16oz unloaded. Nothing fancy and it takes some practice but all handguns do. No grizzlies where I hunt so I'm fine with 9mm. I'm very confident that I can drop or HIGHLY discourage anything I might run into.

Kimber master carry pro...lol. Actually that one would never make it to the woods. Wife wouldn't let me.

If it isn't concealed and in a belt holster, I'd take my Xdm in .45. 14 rounds of double stack should be plenty of firepower

muddydogs

WKR
I carry a Kahr CW9. It's like 16oz unloaded. Nothing fancy and it takes some practice but all handguns do. No grizzlies where I hunt so I'm fine with 9mm. I'm very confident that I can drop or HIGHLY discourage anything I might run into.

I carry the CW40 for its lighter weight then my XD 40.

Beendare

WKR
My take to the OP's original question on 'stopping power'.

I wouldn't put to much emphasis on FBI tests and such as when talking humans/animals...its apples and oranges. I can tell you from many experiences with charging wild boars and many years of up close shots on them....hollow points that would stop a man in his tracks sometimes have little effect on wild animals like boars and bears.

I've seen big hogs shake off a 158gr hollow point to the skull...many times actually [back in the 80's]....and it left me thinking the ammo we had at the time which was supposed to be "The stopper" left something to be desired.

I think the key factor in bear defense with a pistol as noted by some above is using the right ammo; Hardcast loads with wide meplat. Whether its a 10mm or .44 mag you want to break the bear down by penetrating the CNS or breaking bones as bullet shock that would incapacitate a human might not have the same affect as an adrenaline charged bear.

IMO, you want the penetration of hardcast over bullet expansion.