Backcountry Recovery

Which kind of recovery supplements are you guys using after a long day of backcountry hunting and hiking? Looking for some ideas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robtattoo

WKR
Nuun/WA H&R & a good meal. I dehydrate my own meals & I err on the side of lots of veg & lean meat. That perks me up more than anything.

Beendare

WKR
I get these little muscle spasms....not debilitating but it looks like fireworks going off in my calfs. I've tried different suppliments [one called sport legs from REI] bananas, etc....the best I've found so far is Cytosports Cytomax...that stuff works.

My buddy was complaining about calf cramps at night that were really a big deal as he has both ankles fused and he cant stretch his calves. Cytomax worked for him too.

I haven't had to deal with the cramps lately due to the Cyto...but I didn't have it on last weeks trip to Yosemite and after a day trip up Half Dome with the kids [17 miles, 4,500'+ in elevation] my legs were cramping again.

I also do Advil on those tough hunts...thats a miracle drug too.....

bmart2622

WKR
When I cramp its calorie related not hydration related. Keeping up on calories helps me out a lot to not feel wiped out, I also use Hydrate and Recovery too

muddydogs

WKR
I get these little muscle spasms....not debilitating but it looks like fireworks going off in my calfs. I've tried different suppliments [one called sport legs from REI] bananas, etc....the best I've found so far is Cytosports Cytomax...that stuff works.

My buddy was complaining about calf cramps at night that were really a big deal as he has both ankles fused and he cant stretch his calves. Cytomax worked for him too.

I haven't had to deal with the cramps lately due to the Cyto...but I didn't have it on last weeks trip to Yosemite and after a day trip up Half Dome with the kids [17 miles, 4,500'+ in elevation] my legs were cramping again.

I also do Advil on those tough hunts...thats a miracle drug too.....

Do you stretch your calves? Most day to day activity's and exercises don't stretch or keep the calf muscles stretched so they tighten up then when we get out in the woods climbing up hill the calf muscles get a good work out and cramp up. Back in the day when I spent a lot of time working in the woods I could stand flat footed on the steepest hills my calf muscles were so stretched out, now a days I'm standing on my toes with no hope of my heals ever touching. After a few easy winter months it took a couple weeks to get my calf muscles stretched back out and to stop cramping up at night once I started back in the field, I got to the point that in the winter I would stand on a stair tread on my toes and hang my heal toward the lower tread for 10 to 15 minutes a night to try and keep the calf muscles stretched and reduce the cramping once spring came.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"

A couple years ago my buddy and I were eating lunch when his hands cramped up so badly, he couldn't even open them up. They looked like chicken feet. I mixed up a pint of H&R and a packet of Emergen-C Electromix for him and 20 minutes later he was fine. He started drinking a pint of this every day and he never cramped up again.

I generally will drink one of those and three other pints of water with the H&R every day while I'm hunting........along with several more liters of water every day. That's in addition to my coffee. The coffee is the soothing comfort drink.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wilderness athlete hydrate and recover and the warrior fuel re_fuel are my favorites. I try to drink some emergen-c at some point everyday as well.

Beendare

WKR
Do you stretch your calves?......

Yeah, 5 times a day minimum.

My kids give me grief as if I'm standing somewhere; bank, filling the truck with gas, etc....I use the counter or whatever is handy to stretch...embarrasses the heck out of them. I have the calf roller at home. My advice to young guys is stretch more...saves you from a lot of injury.

... my legs were cramping again.

The ONLY thing that works for my leg cramps is "Caleb Treeze Amish Formula for Leg & Foot Cramps". Not kidding, this stuff works. When you get leg cramps (I usually get them at night-they wake me up), I take a teaspoon of this, and they are gone in 30 seconds- Never fails. It is some type of organic apple cider vinegar and ginger, and it does not require refrigeration, so you can put it in your backpack for the trail in case you need it. I tried magnesium, calcium, - everything but this is the ONLY thing that works 100% for me, and in less than a minute.
It costs about $10.00 for an 8 oz bottle, and is available at some health food stores, or direct from StopsLegCramps.com - Home Page - Amish Formula to Stop Leg Cramps
I keep the bottle next to my bed and I sip it straight from the bottle when needed, but the directions say you can put it in 2 oz of juice or water to drink it. It can also be taken before bedtime to prevent the cramps.

This is a timely topic for me, I did 6 miler the other day, only about 500 feet in elevation gain but it was 90 and humid and I was chugging water but 4.5 miles in my left quad then my right quad cramped like crazy ! I never had this problem until I hit 50, it seems like I am going to have to cave in and give this stuff a try. ( insert grumpy old man face here)

Stid2677

WKR
I take a Benadryl and aleve each night before bed and try to stay hydrated. The Aleve helps with aches and pains and the Benadryl helps me sleep and aids in blocking "DOMS" delayed onset muscle soreness.