Ultralight Knife Combo

Bigtex

FNG
I am looking for an ultralight knife combo or possibly one knife.

I recently have been turned on to the havalon type knifes with the sharp, replaceable blades. I was looking at the havalon stag and possibly the baracuta with the saw blade. I am not opposed to Gerber Vital if it can use the same blades as the havalons.

Originally I saw the havalon hydra, but I looked at it today in Cabelas and that thing is huge. I am not sure but I think the stag and the baracuta might weigh less and be more convenient than that one big hydra.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Hydra weighs 4.6oz with extra saw blade and 6 replacement blades.
I went with that over my pirana and small saw because it weighs less.
and it cost $45 in cabelas bargain den...

Journeyman

Lil-Rokslider
I haven't got on the replaceable blade train yet. I'll have to give it a go some time.

After several knives in the couple of hundred dollar range I got on the Mora band wagon and haven't got off.

The last two years I brought a Mora Pro C, mine weighs 4 oz even. Pro C – Morakniv

I also carry a Speedy Sharp for sharpening duties which weighs an ounce.

Amazon.com: Speedy Sharp: Camping Blade Sharpeners: Home Improvement

For under $30 and 5 ounces you can cut up animals for the rest of your life.

Unless you lose it in which case you're not out much!

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I used a Havalon for several years, but always carried a stouter fixed blade knife with it

last year I switched to an Outdoor Edge- similar to the Havalon, but easier blade changing and a little stouter- even with it, I still carry a fixed blade knife (Bark River Woodland Special)

the replaceable blade knives have found a permanent place in my kill kit, but don't ever see leaving home without a good fixed balde knife

I carry havalon bolt and buck 135 paklite caper. The buck is just over an ounce. I also should include the small hemostat weight since that is strictly for changing blades when my hands and the blade are bloody. I'll try to remember to weigh it but together they are lite. The buck holds a good edge and this year I got the S30V steel version.

BigTex I also tried the gerber Vital because I thought the havalon 60A blades would fit but they did not for me and I tried pretty hard. The narrower part of the blade slot was just a little smaller in width than the gerber blades, also I fount the gerber pretty much eliminated using the back part of the blade to do any work because of how close the blade support comes to the edge. The Gerber blades are not as sharp as the havalons.

I also have the outdoor edge and like that knife too but for different reasons. The blades are easier to change no question but they are also nowhere near as sharp and the edge does not stay sharp as long and it rolls over easily also rendering that blade about useless. I will carry this knife sometimes just because of the easy blade changeout. This year my wife will be using this knife and I also gave my mom one to use for xmas since she always has struggled to change the havalon blades.

Last edited:

jmden

WKR
Baracuta...saw works well for deer skull caps and removing bear tooth but too small for elk skull caps imho. Other than that, love it. Cut up a few critters with the Outdoor Edge, but prefer the Baracuta with saw. Two tools in one for 4 oz. Hard to beat that.

The replaceable blade knives are good for making sure you have a sharp edge when you need it. I don't go out on the east coast and I certainly won't go out in the west without a solid fixed blade. I have split wood with mine on several occasions.

Fitzwho

WKR
I always carry a Havalon Black Stag with a few replacement blades in the side pocket of my AGC bino harness.

Then I have used the OE Swingblade (love it) and the RazorBlaze (also love it), but now keep a RazorPro in my kill kit (has the zipper blade and the replacement blade and both fold up into the handle).

Lastly I carry a small fixed blade (currently White River Scout) on my belt.

Three knives might be a bit of overkill, but can't help myself. That's a piece of gear I don't mind a little extra weight (literally) to have a bit of redundancy.

I keep thinking I need a larger (4-5in) fixed blade to carry as a "camp" knife and heavier duty use.

kpk

WKR
I used to carry a havalon piranta and some sort of fixed also. Lately it's been the Ka-bar BK-14 in my kill kit. I have either a spyderco or bench made on my pocket everyday also.

Was never really happy with the piranta knife. Like the blades but not changing them or the cheap feel of the knife. I ordered a few of these and like them much better. It -JUST- fits in my AGC with the basement. They were also on sale for $4 when I ordered them.

#8 Economy Stainless Steel Scalpel Handle

I used a Havalon to do some deer before discovering the OE replaceable blade knife. Done a couple Elk and some deer with the OE and now the Havalon collects dust. Keeping the Havalon for Rabbit hunting.

oldgoat

WKR
I did just what you mentioned for this year, I don't carry saw though if I get a bull, whole head is coming out and I don't cut bones, I either debone or cut through tendons at a joint.

Shraggs

WKR
If you are not set on the replaceable a couple from Bark River I will be carding this year. Classic trailing point at 3.8 oz and the Pro Scalpel II at 1.8 oz. other options is their: lil Canddian 3v LT, ultra light bush crafter, bravo necker II, featherweight hunter, and featherweight fox river all at 2.5 oz and 3-3.25" blades.