What is a good light weight tarp that won't break the bank? 6x9'?

Kevrod3

FNG
Is there a brand you guys like or Material type or style i should stay away from? We'll be 2 man tent for elk but I'd like to take an extra tarp in case bad weather hits and we want to have an extra shelter. I know there are some high dollar ones but I'd like to keep it reasonable price wise. thanks

What do you guys recommend?

Tag_Soup

WKR
6x9 would be pretty tight for two, even for a short time. Kelty makes a good 10x10 that can be found pretty cheap. Jimmy tarps makes good gear, you could call or message Jim for a quote. I carry a 5x9 for just me. I mostly just end up using it for a sun shade/rain shelter when glassing. It's a cheap diy number. I have my eye on replacing it with a Kifaru sheep tarp in the next couple years though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daniel_M

WKR
I was dead set on a flat tarp for an upcoming remote backpack hunt. Until Luke sent me a link to the Seek Outside LBO.

A shaped tarp style piece takes far less to pitch, weighs 16oz and is just as versatile whether you want to chill in it for glassing out of the weather, stashing gear or even converting it a full 360* shelter with the additional tarp.

Not exactly the cheapest solution, but it would take far less to stake it over a flat tarp.

Lil Bug Out Shelter

We (my elk partner and I) run a Kifaru Tut or TiGoat Vertx 6.5 for our main camp. Then we've got a SuperTarp for a spike camp or shade or gear cover or pop up shower. The 6x9 is gonna be too small for two guys but perfect for solo situations. I carry a Sheep Tarp as my emergency shelter when solo.

BearPaw Designs in the 8x10 size worked great for us before we moved into the Super. Wouldn't hesitate at all to have another one if we needed one.

oldgoat

WKR
I have a Jimmy Tarp about that size that I really like and use for just what your talking about as well as shade by camp.

Stein

FNG
Make your own, sil nylon or cuben. A 6x6 sil with grosgrain corners, thread and enough left over for several stuffsacks cost me under 30 shipped.

KMT

WKR
Agree with Tag Soup above. 6x9 would be way too small to be a shelter for two people. It would be tight for one person.

DD Tarps are solid value. Price includes international shipping. Mine was at my doorstep in less than 48 hours from ordering. Shipped from Glasgow, Scotland.

The 3x3 (meter) might be just what you are looking for.

All tarps

EastMT

WKR
I bought the Borah for $50 I think. I emailed and asked for extra tie down loops and they put 5 big loops on each long side for same price. Weighs a shade over 8oz for 5x9

I just bought the Mountainsmith Shelter LT in the green for $84 brand new. Seems like an absolutely phenomenal shelter for the price.