Alaska Guide Creations Bino Harness Replacement buckles

griffinit

Lil-Rokslider
What's everyones favorite buckles for these I remember seeing a review Aron Snyder did, saying he uses buckles that only get looser when you push them in?

I'm trying to find this video but can't.

Thanks

Dobermann

WKR
Griff: Aron uses Autolock buckles. You can order them from Kifaru and a couple of other places.

Yes, you have to actively press in a section to release the tension on the Autolock buckles, rather than the standard ones, which work loose over time.

The key thing is to order both male Autolocks and split-tail females (you need 4 of each for an AGC) - the male Autolocks do not fit into the existing AGC female buckles. An easy way to remove the existing females is with some strong sidecutters - it's easy to just push the webbing aside and cut through the buckle, rather than mess with a saw or Dremel-type tool, which I've also heard of some people using. It usually only takes one or two squeezes and you're done. (Incidentally, this is how Mel recommended removing buckles on an old Kifaru video.)

From memory, Aron mentions swapping out the buckles on a couple of Gritty Bowmen podcasts ... the main one is an early gear run-through, but there's little detail given and no real visuals. Just order the buckles, use some sidecutters, and you'll be right.

Oh, and it can take a bit of persuasion to thread the AGC webbing through the male Autolocks. Again, a tip from an old Kifaru video: if you can poke just a corner through, you can then use needlenose pliers to pull through the rest.

Here's a few pics. Works perfect. I had enough frustration with trying to thread the folded end of the strap thru the auto lock and just cut the ends off. Can't see a real need for them anyway.
102aafef563bc3b7a55a3538cfb08060.jpg
9de044fb826b4ae1b59aa974daf56af3.jpg
9db99e78f1aa735771a398eadd01ee09.jpg

texag10

WKR
In another thread on this topic someone mentioned adding a tri glide above the standard buckle to put more friction on the webbing. I will try that first. The webbing slipping is the only issue I have with my AGC harness.

I'm trying these guys out now. I tried the auto locks but they and the original buckles would get caught on my chest strap. I do have auto locks on the sides, they seemed to loosen more than the tops for me. I think if these start to loosen I'll add a small piece of carpet tape or something on the buckle to create more friction...or put a 3 bar slider next to it.
ceabe00768f3079a17664720ec8454b4.jpg
9578dc5f6606c9715a6522b9c0c422b4.jpg
441620e5610d0ffc1bd63436c59ea9d8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sdfuller

Lil-Rokslider
I just got mine adjusted to the right size then I hand sew a few stitches that fasten both ends of the strap coming out of the buckle together

Someone here mentioned they removed the plastic buckles from their AGC harness and replaced them with G hooks. I glommed on to that idea and did it to my AGC. The G hooks are simpler, can't break and so far haven't slipped a fraction of an inch. Best thing I've found for the job.

FlyGuy

WKR
Both good ideas. I've been wondering about adding some kind of "suspenders" like straps to the back of mine. I have problems with my AGC sliding down during the day unless I have it almost uncomfortably tight. If there were a couple of attachment points off the back that could clip onto my belt or pant loops it seems that would prevent it? Of course, I have no idea how to sew anything so....

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

ncstewart

WKR
Someone here mentioned they removed the plastic buckles from their AGC harness and replaced them with G hooks. I glommed on to that idea and did it to my AGC. The G hooks are simpler, can't break and so far haven't slipped a fraction of an inch. Best thing I've found for the job.

Think you might be able to post some pics of that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk