Garmin 64st Battery Help

BKhunter

WKR
Hell All,

I recently bought a Garmin 64st and took it out into the field for the first time. After 1 day the battery was completely dead even though I powered it down overnight. Is this normal? If so can anyone share usage tips for int he field or ways to save battery life? New to the whole GPS thing.

BK

xziang

WKR
I've found that my 62 series won't EAT batteries but it does go quicker than my 60csx. Either way I would make sure you are running lithium batteries on it. They will last longer sorry unsure if there are any display settings that could help you save battery life on it.

With the colored screen of the 62 and 64 along with 'chips' that get put in them to display satellite imagery that will just add to battery usage. Either way make sure you are running good lithium AA's.

Savage99

WKR
I second the lithium battery recommendation. Six or seven years ago I got a slap on the wrist at work for expensing lithium batteries for an etrex. I used it all day four/five days a week to set waypoints. I went more than a month on energizer e2's. No first hand experience with the 64, but I thought I'd chime in with the lithiums.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B

BKhunter

WKR
Do you guys leave yours on all day or just turn it on to mark weigh points? I was leaving it on all day to track my route but not sure if this is the smartest idea.

BK

slick

WKR
Use one for work daily. Setting way points, writing down UTMS etc. I only turn mine on when I need to mark something or find something and then maybe have it on for a little while. I turned tracks off, and then click the power button a few times which will dim the screen if I need to leave it on for any extended period of time. I run rechargeable batteries in mine and usually carry a fresh recharged set and a pair of un-rechargeable lithiums just in case. Also, make sure you set it so that after 15sec of no use it goes to a blank screen. Good luck.

hwy1strat

WKR
I had this problem when I first got it too. I had mine on with the screen running the entire time and that would burn up the batteries. I found there is a battery saving mode where the screen turns off when not in use. Once you push a button, the screen will light back up and it will stay lit for however long you set it. I have mine set to 15 sec and now my battery lasts about 3-4 days of all day use. I still wish the batteries lasted longer but that's the best I can get out of mine. Also, when you are back at home and not using it, take the batteries out. The GPS seems to eat batteries even when not in use and they will corrode and fry your gps. That happened to my last one

N2TRKYS

WKR
I've never noticed enough difference with lithium batteries to justify the extra cost. I stopped using them in all of my accessories.

xziang

WKR
Do you guys leave yours on all day or just turn it on to mark weigh points? I was leaving it on all day to track my route but not sure if this is the smartest idea.

BK

I leave my 60csx on all the time for I like to know how far I walk etc. Also nice to see the 'route' I was on too. YES I take the 62 series too for the imagery if needed. I need to look into the 'screen' settings and battery saving mode for my 62.

OP
B

BKhunter

WKR
I had this problem when I first got it too. I had mine on with the screen running the entire time and that would burn up the batteries. I found there is a battery saving mode where the screen turns off when not in use. Once you push a button, the screen will light back up and it will stay lit for however long you set it. I have mine set to 15 sec and now my battery lasts about 3-4 days of all day use. I still wish the batteries lasted longer but that's the best I can get out of mine. Also, when you are back at home and not using it, take the batteries out. The GPS seems to eat batteries even when not in use and they will corrode and fry your gps. That happened to my last one

I have mine in the battery saver mode so the screen would turn off after 15 seconds. Still only last about a day even while turning it off at night. I guess I will give the lithiums a try, but not sure if I can leave it on at all times.

FlyGuy

WKR
I've got the 64s, and I had about the same results. 15 sec time out, but tracking all day so I can see distance traveled, where I was, etc. With regular batteries I get just over a day (off at night). Going to run rechargeable LI this year and see how that goes. will be packing in a solar panel and 2 Poseidons to rotate.

Good info here. Just ordered a 64st and this will be helpful to know.