Trekking poles/Shelter pole

lif

WKR
I have a 4 man Seek Outside tipi and want to get some trekking poles that would double as the tipi pole. That tipi goes up above 6' so I'm sure I need to connect the two trekking poles to use as the tipi pole. Any good suggestions on which poles can be linked together to use as center pole in my tipi. Thanks for the help.

Callen21

Lil-Rokslider
I use black diamond trail sport 2 piece poles. They are extremely robust and have less parts to break. They are not the lightest weight pole but also are not the heaviest. The extend to 123cm each I believe. One pole is tall enough and sturdy enough for my silver tip. They don't pack as small as three piece poles but are thicker throughout compared to a three piece pole and are cheaper. $60 for a set and camp saver website has "take20" 20% off of the 60$. Hope that helps! To combine the two poles I recommend using hyperlite mountain gear ultra mid pole straps $12 most places. They come in a set and are built to last.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I honestly use a pair of Yukon Charlie trekking poles. I use those for my hammock tarp but when I take my cimmarron I have the carbon pole. I really like using trekking poles when using a heavy load. I think there is a lot of hype around trekking poles as far as brand but I have found good luck with my cheap ones. Now that may change if I break them. Lol

OP
L

lif

WKR
I'm a little I educated on how to combine the two trekking poles for the 6' lift on the tarp. Can someone help me with my ignorance please. Is there a coupling of some sort or as called mentioned using straps.

Callen21

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a little I educated on how to combine the two trekking poles for the 6' lift on the tarp. Can someone help me with my ignorance please. Is there a coupling of some sort or as called mentioned using straps.

Place the straps parallel to each other and strap the handles together. Then extend the opposing ends to the desired height. I keep a small rubber cap that comes with the trekking pole in my pack to place over the carbide tip as extra protective for the top "cone" of the tipi

There is an adapter you can get that combines them so they can fit a teepee.

So what happens to your tipi after you pull your trekking poles to use during the day? Obviously you've lost your tipi "erectness". Does the wind play hell on the excess unsupported material? Do you roll up the excess and place a giant rock or limb on it to keep from flapping? Having a hard time wrapping my head around what's gonna happen after you leave for the day and your tipi is just staked out but unstructured.

So what happens to your tipi after you pull your trekking poles to use during the day? Obviously you've lost your tipi "erectness". Does the wind play hell on the excess unsupported material? Do you roll up the excess and place a giant rock or limb on it to keep from flapping? Having a hard time wrapping my head around what's gonna happen after you leave for the day and your tipi is just staked out but unstructured.

Good question. When I'm going solo and just using a solo shelter, I use my trekking poles and either take my shelter with me in the morning when I break camp, because I'm always on the move, or if not, I leave my shelter staked out. For all my other bigger shelters, I have designated poles. I've only had to use my trekking poles, for a larger shelter, on one occasion when the designated pole got broke. I always like to use trekking poles when I'm hiking around, so if that is my sole means of pitching my shelter, and I want to leave my shelter in place, I just leave it staked out and try to secure things as best I can, so they don't get trashed by the wind or rain.

oldgoat

WKR
TiGoat sells a super light weight carbon fiber pole and they also sell an aluminum block that you can stick the sharp end of the two trekking poles in and the handle then touches the tent, less likely to poke a hole in the tent that way versus putting the point end to the tent.

I tried using a setup like that with Ascend Acadia poles. On the third night, the plastic quick lock started breaking right below where the spike end stopped.

For the next trip I got another set of the Ascend poles. I cut the plastic spike off the lower section of the broken pole. When I set up the tent, I remove the lower sections of the good poles and insert the cut section like a splice pole. It goes in far enough to put the stress on the aluminum parts instead of the plastic locks.

One could probably get a section of repair pole or aluminum pipe that if the right diamater instead of two sets trekking poles.