rtic 65 coolers?

bushman

FNG
Does anyone have one for elk hunting? Are they big enough for a full elk and cape? So they keep things cold for long periods?

dotman

WKR
Haha, not even close. You would need maybe 4 or 5 of any 65qt coolers for what you are asking.

oldgoat

WKR
They are big enough for boned out deer and cape maybe, not that big of cooler. They keep ice pretty good. Not convinced it's good enough in there case to justify buying one if you have a decent one already, I haven't thrown away my white marine igloo 110 or whatever size it is. They are more robust and could be set on etc..

buttekid

Lil-Rokslider
I have one and really like it. It's perfect for the first bag of boned out choice elk meat (backstraps, tenderloins, etc...) with adequate ice during the early archery season. As others have pointed out, you will need additional coolers for the rest of the meat and cape. You may want to visit your local sporting goods store to see the many cooler size options available to gain a better understanding. Keep in mind, none of them are what I would call light weight when empty. Cooler weight may be another consideration for you if you are hunting alone.

I just fill mine with nothing but ice for the igloo 120 and 150. Those are huge but don't hold ice for squat in Sept.

oldgoat

WKR
unless you're in extreme conditions the Igloo will probably serve you well enough
Throw an old sleeping bag over them and they will keep ice as good or better than the premium ones, but if you throw an old sleeping bad over the premium ones they work even better too!!!!!

bmart2622

WKR
I have 2 of those 150qt coolers that I use just for elk meat. I fill them with frozen milk jugs and dont touch until I put meat in it and I have had it last well over a week.

ericF

WKR
We also use the 150qt coolers from Sams club. One is just about perfect for four quarters and your backstraps/loins. I don't think you would get a cape in there too though.