Cooking essentials

HawkeyeHunter

Lil-Rokslider
What does everyone use or recommend for lightweight or backpack cooking? Curious to see what you all like and or don't like from stove to utensils to camp water storage and everything else.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have the GSI minimalist pot. Foldable cup. Sea to summit long spoon. Nalgene bottle (everyday all the time), platypus collapsible water bottle (extra water on the go if needed), msr 6L drom bag (camp water). I like the smaller stoves like the Soto windmaster I'm using right now. I like the independent stoves rather than the all in one type stoves so I can bring different pots and sizes instead of just stuck with one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slick

WKR
Stove-MSR Pocket Rocket
Pot-SnowPeak Solo set
Utensil- Sea to Summit Long Spoon
Camp H20-MSR Drom 6L
Platypus 3L while hiking
Use a Katadyn Hiker Pro (wished I had the gravity filter)-should try the purification tabs.

Swap in fozzils solo plate/bowl/cup pack if doing more cooking rather than just freeze dried plus one of the larger SnowPeak pots-don't remember which size/set. Agreed about the all in one stoves kind of being a pain. Independents have more use.

elkyinzer

WKR
Pocket rocket, simple titanium mug and spork, and sometimes a toaster oven grate that'll I'll use to grill over a fire. A little oil and some montreal steak seasoning to spruce things up. I use one of the sawyer pumps and cheap water bladders. Would like to try a gravity system but it's remained pretty low on my wishlist. Keep it simple.

bbrown

WKR
Stove: Soto Windmaster
Pot: GSI minimalist when solo or the Olicamp XTS when cooking for 2+
Utensil: cheap long spork/foon from Walmart - keep one in the pack and one in the food bag back at camp so I never have to go searching.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Outdoor-Products-4-Piece-Spork-Set/17017906
Spices: GSI spice container with Tony's and pepper
Salt & Pepper Shakers - Ultralight, Waterproof | GSI Outdoors

Back country cook kit ends up weighing just under 1 lb complete with full 110g fuel canister

Water filter: Katadyn (actually the original PUR) Hiker - not the lightest but it just works
Camp water: 2-3x of the Platy 3L storage bags

Don't forget about some foil along with a few olive oil packets for trout, grouse and tenderloins!

GregB

WKR
I alternate between a pocket rocket 2 with a coleman S/S pot, and a Camp Chef Stryker. A long spoon for the Mountain House and a small bottle of Lowrys for backstrap, grouse etc.
For water I use a Sawyer Mini, I just got a SteriPen not sure if I like it or not. 3L Camlebak with inline system for the Sawyer and a 4L Dromlite bag for camp.

Bulldawg

WKR
I've used a Jet boil for a while and today I have a thought I want to go to a liquid fuel stove, so I was going to start a thread but this one works for me.

How many of you guys are using liquid fuel stoves opposed to a separate canister stove and a all in one system like a jet boil or reactor?

I can't decide which one I want!

Davebuech

WKR
I have both styles. MSR reactor, Snow peak and Whiperlite. Which one depends on how long Im going, conditions and what kind of food I want. When Im just boiling water for dehydrated meals/coffee etc I take the Reactor. Longer trips and cooking variable foods, sometimes colder weather, the liquid fuel. Quick overnighters the Snow peak.

I also have an Espit tablet or TriOxane for emergencies/backuo.

I've used a Jet boil for a while and today I have a thought I want to go to a liquid fuel stove, so I was going to start a thread but this one works for me.

How many of you guys are using liquid fuel stoves opposed to a separate canister stove and a all in one system like a jet boil or reactor?

I can't decide which one I want!

I have a dragonfly. Been great for trips when I might play actual chef and cook some fish and it will also boil water for dehydrated meals fine too

CLICKBANGBANG

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Pocket rocket 2 and Evernew Ti 640 cup/ pot. I like plastic long handle spoons. Stove, pot, and a 110g fuel weighs under a lbs. It's like 15.5 oz.

RoJo

WKR
You can buy a pot support for the JetBoil that allows other types of pots to be used for some added versatilty.

36700300806_a03c1bc5b8_c.jpg

36700298626_cdb6e0c849_c.jpg

Bulldawg

WKR
My jet boil is about to take a s*** so i'm replacing it. Those that have the pocket rocket two have you had experiences with the original? Kinda curious what your thoughts are on the newer one.

CLICKBANGBANG

Lil-Rokslider
My jet boil is about to take a s*** so i'm replacing it. Those that have the pocket rocket two have you had experiences with the original? Kinda curious what your thoughts are on the newer one.

Both are good to go. But the PR2 packs down waaaay smaller. It's as small as the Micro Rocket. The way it looks, MSR discontinued the Pocket Rocket, and they came out with a new and improved Micro Rocket. Then they called it the Pocket Rocket 2. Check out the picture in the link. My PR2 fits inside the Evernew Ti 640ml with the fuel, a large bic, and a bunch of good matches. It's under a pound.

Adventures In Stoving: MSR Pocket Rocket 2 – Review Supplement #1

I take the MSR whisper lite with a titanium pot plus a jet boil. I can't stand the idea of eating mountain house every day (plus dropping a hundy on meals for me and my son) so I use the standard pot setup for rice packets and other real food and the jet boil for coffee (and take it in my day pack for that same purpose for afternoon pick me up). I do take a couple MH because it's simply not practical to take 4 days worth of real food for me and an 11 year old 4 miles back. I'm not really a minimalist so I'm ok with 5 extra pounds for the 2 hour hike in to be more comfortable for the next 4 days. Plus the boy is getting big enough to actually carry 15 pounds or so in his pack