What's broken?

Pinewood

Lil-Rokslider
Wondering what pieces of gear have failed you? I'll start: Big Agnes insulated Q core pad and Irish Setter boots are the the first two that come to mind.

tttoadman

WKR
1. BA insulated air core pad. I got almost one season out of it. I thought I took pretty good care of it.

2. Vortex scope. Fogged out on me packed in 6 miles.

3. All rain gear I have ever had. I just need to stay out of "all day" rain.

4. Copper Spur tent went down with just a couple inches of wet snow. I was able to pull it back up, but all my gear was soaked. I have swapped it out for a center pole shelter that is good for all-season.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
When I was 15, my first rifle scope (a Burris) that fogged up on me on my first elk hunt. Cost me a nice bull. I ripped that thing off and luckily my Rem 700 BDL had iron sights on it as well.

BA Q-core SL........went flat the first time I used it.

Limbdriver Pro V.

Can't think of anything else off the top of my head. Lots of stuff that I tested first and didn't like.

rayporter

WKR
rocky boots leaked and fell apart
had a dome tent come down around my ears in a snow
buddy had a wood stocked savage lock up from a warped stock
had a gasoline stove melt down on last day once
others will come to mind

oldgoat

WKR
Buddy Heater crapped out the day of the blizzard in second rifle season, had ran it off a bulk tank all archery season without a hitch, then the snow hit and it wouldn't light, found out I was supposed to use an inline filter if using a bulk tank, got it replaced, bought the filter and been using this one for several years with no issues!

I have a Big Agnes Q-Core SL pad. So far so good after 4 seasons. Seeing all these reported failures means I will have a spare in the truck just in case! Good post guys.

zman

Lil-Rokslider
Cabelas windproof/waterproof lighter. My back up bic ended up saving the day.

Brianb3

WKR
I'm hard on stuff but I've broken 2 sets of Leki carbon fiber poles

Meindel hunter. Blown sides out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SlimWhitman

Lil-Rokslider
Good to read after just ordering a big Agnes setup today...haha

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

nazca

FNG
Every folding knife I've ever owned. except maybe havalon, but that doesn't really count since their blades break before the handle/hinge.

Every folding knife I've ever owned. except maybe havalon, but that doesn't really count since their blades break before the handle/hinge.

I have the opposite problem. I have no prob with the blades, but have had multiple (3-4) Havalon handles fail. screws come loose and the folding mechanism goes out of alignment. Good thing they have great customer service!

My biggest fail was my Black Diamond ultra distance trekking poles. I slipped on a wet, grassy slope and tried to catch me an a 50lb pack with the trekking pole. It snapped under the weight and I had to hike about 4 miles back carrying my broken pole (again, great customer service and I got a replacement)

Rocky snake boots. Asolo boots. Merrell boots. Numerous tents. Nikon binos (very old) fogged up like crazy. Old Simmons scope fogged up. TC Muzzleloader scope bases came loose. Got VERY lucky they just happened to be sitting close enough that I made a good shot on a whitetail doe. Found out right after I shot they were jacked up. Shoulder straps on packs have broken before. Knife blades. I could go on and on. Lol! Now I buy just about very best I can afford. It hurts when I pay for it but not as much when I have a stress free outing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Danner Pronghorns---they just suck.

Pair of bushnell binocs I got when I was a kid. Fogged up the first day of my 1st elk hunt. Were worthless the rest of the week.

My bushnell Range finder fogs up(It is 15 years old though so I don't know if it counts)

Keen hiking boots...lasted two seasons. I found out the third.

Various Mechanical broadheads...think I would learn.

Eberlestock X2-designed for a guy that is 4'9". totally worthless load lifters, waist belt loosens up. Still use it for whitetail hunting. Only used it for one season in the elk woods. My shoulders were so sore... Kuiu Icon is much more comfortable (I know, but it is a huge step up from the eberlestock)

I bought a lumbar pack at Cabelas. Tried it on in the store, seemed great. Put some water, snacks, etc in it for a day of archery hunting, strapped it on, and one of the shoulder straps completely separated from the bag. I keep a bit of Spider Wire fishing line and a needle in my first aid/fix it kit, so in no time it was strong enough to hang an elephant from.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"

You need to get a Buck 110. I've had the 110 finger groove model since 1980. It's broken down 20+ elk and many deer. It's been used and sharpened so many times that the blade is wearing down, but it's still as solid as the day it was new. I haven't used it in some time, just because I went to better steel and also a Havalon, but it's a great knife.

nazca

FNG
You need to get a Buck 110. I've had the 110 finger groove model since 1980. It's broken down 20+ elk and many deer. It's been used and sharpened so many times that the blade is wearing down, but it's still as solid as the day it was new. I haven't used it in some time, just because I went to better steel and also a Havalon, but it's a great knife.

I've had and broken 2 Buck 110's. In fairness they didn't die from light use. I grew up on a ranch, I had a knife on my hip at all times. When you don't have the right tool with you, the tool you do have gets used.

After going through a few folders I switched to a Buck Vanguard with rubber handle. I've been using & abusing it for ~15 years. A couple years back I switched to a lighter weight Esee for hunting, but the Buck is still going strong.

jmez

WKR
Limbdriver Pro spring broke mid hunt and rest would not come up all the way.

Limbdriver Pro V don't exactly remember what broke on this one but had to send it in and get it repaired after a hunt.

Spot Hogg Seven Deadly Pins broke 2 pins off and bent 3 others severely

Asolo Powermatic 200 GV, Leaked after a couple of days and the soles on these boots are terrible. Any amount of snow, or water on the ground and it is like wearing ice skates.

Alps Mountaineering Zephyr 2 tent. Had a few days of bad wind and it wrecked the tent, blew it flat to the ground multiple times, pushed a couple of pole grommets out of the fabric and broke one of the poles.

Hoyt Carbon Matrix, bent a cam severely after I took a nasty fall with a skiff of snow on the ground wearing the &$%#& above Asolo boots.

EastMT

WKR
Under Armour boots. My first pair were for a solo bighorn ewe hunt in dry country. Super comfy to wear, but any water and you were wet in one boot, the other stayed dry. Kept them and wore in dry hot places only. Second pair bought here in AK, breaking in at about 10 miles total and one boot started leaking. UA boots are super comfy, but I won't buy again.