What's broken?

twall13

WKR
Rocky boots leaked and fell apart in less than a season. Cheap Bushnell binoculars that literally fell apart so I had two separate minoculars. This happened at the range, not in the field, so it wasn't like I was beating them up. An old simmons scope that came in a combo with the rifle and fogged up bad. Cheap, generic wool socks that wouldn't stay in place and bunched up at the toes causing a few blisters. I've also had plenty of cheap tents and rain jackets that leaked but who hasn't.

Gumbo

WKR
A Slik tripod head failed me on a muley hunt. Can't remember specifically what broke but I think a bolt sheared off in it from absolutely no fault of my own. I was able to hobble it together with a couple zip ties for the remainder of the hunt. Then Slik customer service failed me and said they wouldn't warranty it even though I had a receipt and it was less than a year old and it was clearly a manufacturer's defect. Slik lost a customer for life and I've now been running a Manfroto head for the last decade. For what it is worth I do like the CF Slik tripod which has been great...but I will not buy another if and when it dies.

JP100

WKR
What hasnt haha

recently Kuiu tents x2, first gen leaked liked a sieve replaced, 2nd gen floor leaked and poles broke in storm.( new one on the way)
Kuiu pack, failures with the shoulder straps
Scarpa boots, older model cant remember name but soles came off after maybe 2 months
Stoney Creek 'rain jacket'
MSR windburner leaking gas and caught on fire, replaced under warranty

Last edited:

ChrisC

Lil-Rokslider
Not happy to hear about the BA pads failing. Anyone have the newer BA q-core SLX fail? Got one not too long ago but havent used it much.

GotDraw?

WKR
BA Insulated Q Core also failed me. Pad was never abused. Thankfully, I had a spare pad at our base camp.

Defect inherent in the structure of the BA pad's sealant membrane. I put mine in the tub knelt on it, it looked like it had a hundred micro leaks in a 4" square area, so I painted the whole area with seam sealer and patched it. That held, but it immediately sprung a bunch of other leaks.

Contacted BA, they gave me a strong credit toward a new version, the "Insulated Air Core Ultra" which has different sealing technology. I still have gripe though, BA does not provide an R-Value for their pads. They "rate" this pad at 15 degrees. I decided to give it a test in my back yard, set my tent up on a 20 degree night and used my 18 degree Mountain Hardware down bag. In the past, no problems, I've stayed warm in conditions like this. This time, I could feel the heat loss to the ground and packed it in at 5am too cold to stay asleep... despite heavy socks, gloves, tights and body hugging hoodie.

Shame on BA for not providing R-Values for their pads, without R-Values, you cannot compare BA pads to others.

JL

Odell

Lil-Rokslider
BA insulated Q core failed me as well. I'll put in a second for Danner Pronghorns.

Squirrels

WKR
Not related to back country hunting, but hunting in general. I spend a lot of time chasing waterfowl after deer season. Drake clothing products have really sucked the hind tit for me. They just don't hold up anymore. I have one piece of their original stuff that is bomb proof but once they grew they lost the desire to make quality gear and just started making products with features that fatten their pockets. FYI they also make RutWear and Ol Tom turkey gear.

What hasnt haha

recently Kuiu tents x2, first gen leaked liked a sieve replaced, 2nd gen floor leaked and poles broke in storm.( new one on the way)
Kuiu pack, failures with the shoulder straps
Scarpa boots, older model cant remember name but soles came off after maybe 2 months
Stoney Creek 'rain jacket'
MSR windburner leaking gas and caught on fire, replaced under warranty

Were those leaky Kuiu tents recalled? <g>

Tag_Soup

WKR
I don't know if I would go so far as to say Danner Pronghorns have failed me, but they meet my low expectations. I used to go through a pair every season before I could afford quality boots. They aren't awesome, but they were always functional and could be purchased at a low price.

Alpen binoculars that managed to lose the ability to focus on one eye piece mid way into a stalk on a big blacktail last season...proud owner of some new vortex razors now...

Bushnell range finder - cheap one from about 10 years ago that simply wouldn't return a range over about 25 yards...worked fine up until I was on my elk hunt.

Ripcord Code Red rest - while hunting in some damp conditions, I drew back on a raghorn and watched the felt ball up under my arrow (effectively raising it about 3/8"). It has sluffed the adhesive which apparently wasn't waterproof. I had to let down and hike out to the truck to sight in without the felt on. Didn't end up killing an elk that season. I don't know that it cost me an elk, as I never had a shot, but it cost me 10 miles of hiking on a day the elk were going nuts. It got hot the next day and everything went quiet.

Sig Sauer P229 40 S&W using Hornady FTX - Luckily this was just at the range, but it will not cycle this ammo without stovepiping the first 3 or 4 out of the mag. Runs everything else I have tried flawlessly. Still my favorite side arm, but will not run any hornady through it.

Havalon Knives - Broken two at the hinge. I don't break many blades, so not sure why. I am using a TYTO now and am loving it!

I've broken tent poles before, but thankfully had the repair sleeve in the bag. Had a pair of Crispi boots start falling apart after 25 mild miles (currently sent back for the warranty folks to look at... The people are top notch, but I'm still disappointed that it happened). The stitching in my Corrugates leaves much to be desired after probably 40 days of use. For the most part I've been lucky and bought solid equipment that tends to last.

napeequa55

Lil-Rokslider
+2 on the Big Agnes Insulated Q Core.

Ran one for a season before it wouldn't hold air. The brand new replacement they sent wouldn't hold air right out of the box.

I didn't try again. Like thermarest better anyway. Even if they are loud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kurtm2323

FNG
Not to knock KUIU (I love there 3/4 zip offs), but on last years elk hunt my hunting partners had KUIU packs and had nothing but trouble with them. On the hike in the waist belt buckle broke on one(tied it for the rest of the hunt, multiple rips in the fabric from little use. Overall, it pretty much sold me on never buying a KUIU pack...

I bought a pair of rocky alpha something side zip composite toe boots for work and had to send them back 3 times within the first few months of wear. Their customer service was great but they were constructed horribley. I do own a pair of 1200 gram insulated rocky boots that I only use for hunting and they are great but I only wear them a few weeks a year not every day like the other ones.