Sawyer water filter systems

wabowman

Lil-Rokslider
I am going to be putting a system together and am wondering
1. Mini or squeeze?
2. Can gravity filtering be done with both?
3. What are the pros and cons to both filters?
Can you post a pic of your system so I can get ideas how to build mine.
Thank you Roksliders

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Brad@Argali

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I am going to be putting a system together and am wondering
1. Mini or squeeze?
2. Can gravity filtering be done with both?
3. What are the pros and cons to both filters?
Can you post a pic of your system so I can get ideas how to build mine.
Thank you Roksliders

The squeeze will last a little longer than the mini and filter water faster. They will gravity filter water when new and unclogged, but it is really slow compared to something like the Gravity Works filter from Platy. Personally, I wouldn't buy a Sawyer with the expectation it will gravity feed well.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

muddydogs

WKR
The Mini and Squeeze are basically the same filter, they both attach to the water bags and gravity feed or you squeeze the bag to get a drink. The Squeeze has different filter ends then the Mini. The Mini has a fixed plastic nipple at each end, one end is for drinking and the other nipple is were the water enters from the squeeze bag. The Squeeze has a squirt bottle cap at one end to drink out of and the other end has a threaded nipple attachment that can be installed where the squeeze bag would go for hooking up a hose.
Personally if your looking for something to go inline on a water bladder type system I would go with the Mini as its a smaller unit and is easier to deal with while inline. When you get right down to it pick the on that has the features you want as they are the same filter just different cases.

I've been running a squeeze for a few years as a gravity system and so far it's been great. As long as you clean/backflush it every couple trips it should keep working well. I hook one up to either a 6L MSR dromedary when I'm solo or a collapsible 5 gallon jug when backpacking with a group. I definitely prefer gravity to my older Katadyn pump.

I have the squeeze as well. I have not used it as a gravity feed system but will be trying that this year. I would encourage you to pickup some of the 64 0z squeeze bags, makes things go MUCH faster. Those bags are also very handy for loading up on water and taking it with you for later in the day.

DE0827

FNG
I have never used the Squeeze filter, but love the Mini. From my research the Squeeze is a little bigger & heavier (not much though) and filters a little faster. I carry the Mini and the straw with me while hunting and can drink directly out of a stream if needed. This year I bought a 64 oz pouch and an adapter kit. This allowed me to set up a gravity system - works great! I screw an adapter on to the pouch after I fill it with water, then attach the straw to the adapter, then attach the filter to the other end of the straw and finally the hose to my bladder attaches to the output side of the filter. Hang it up and it filters directly into my bladder (or whatever you want). A couple tips though - once you hang it up, squeeze the pouch a bit to get the water flowing, then just let gravity do the work. Only took a couple minutes to filter 64 oz, and I didn't have to stand there squeezing the pouch. Second tip, cut the bottom 3" off a cheap water bottle to use to fill the 64 oz pouch. I have a hard time getting the Sawyer pouches to fill, so having this collapsible & super light weight "cup" to fill the pouch works great.

twall13

WKR
I finally feel like I came up with the Sawyer system that works for me. Last year I ran the mini with some modifications so I could hook it up and gravity fill my bladder without removing my bladder from my pack. It worked pretty slick and refilled the bladder easily while I was waiting for my mountain house to rehydrate. With this system I can also use it to squeeze directly in to other bottles, etc. or even gravity fill other things so it is pretty flexible. I noticed that by the end of a 4 day hunt the flow had slowed significantly. Even after backflushing several times I've never gotten it to flow like it did at first. I bought the squeeze this year and use it in much the same way. I recently used it on a 3 day backpacking trip. My brother also brought his Katadyn base camp he was so excited to try for the first time. I told him in my experience those plug up fast and are difficult to get cleaned to where they flow again. We compared the two gravity systems (katadyn and my sawyer squeeze) side by side and his was clearly faster for the first day. By the second day the squeeze was faster and by the third day the Katadyn was so slow it took about 6 minutes to fill up a 16 oz. bottle. The Sawyer squeeze was still flowing really well. I'll try to post up some pics of my system tonight if I can remember.

i.php

Here's the squeeze filling a bladder with the 64oz bag. I just cut a hole in the flap of the bag and tie up with pcord.
Can also fill with bladder in pack. Just use the quick disconnect hose.

boom

WKR
my friend uses an aftermarket bag he bought online. it is clear,and way more supple..it is much easier to fill and squeeze. way bigger as well.

i have the small bag..i guess it's the mini. wow..what a chore filling up multiple bottles. its the refilling that really slows things down.

btw, i cut a clean cheap water bottle and use it scoop water and pour into the pouch..i dont have the patience to fill a bag by lowering it into water and hearing it clug to full.

twall13

WKR
So this is my system. I got a cheap bladder online that has quick disconnects and a large zip opening to make it easier to get the dirty water in (as others have mentioned the small squeeze bags can be a pain to fill). I use the nylon diesel filter in the picture as a pre-filter to catch the bigger stuff. This gives me a 3 liter dirty bag that can fill my clean bladder in one shot without removing my bladder from my pack (quick connects directly to the hose). I also have a plastic Evernew brand container that is similar to the squeeze bags that come with the filters but it holds 2 liters and is a bit better constructed, IMO. This doesn't come on every trip but can be used as the system was originally designed if I want. Again, I like the flexibility this system provides (gravity filter, squeeze filter, inline filter, like a straw direct from the source, etc.). I have a shut off valve installed on the filter so I can gravity feed into a Nalgene or cook pot without needing the quick connects I use on the bladder.

I also carry a smart water bottle cap that can screw directly into the squeeze filter and works better for me than the one provided with the filter when you buy it.

All in, including a wire tie to hang it/keep it organized and a carry bag it weighs under 12 oz. That may be more than some systems but it provides me the versatility I want and works quite well. I can leave various pieces at home to lighten it up if I want (cap, Evernew bottle, pre-filter, etc.). I can also very easily swap the squeeze filter for a mini and shave some weight but I've decided I prefer the better flow rate and less prone to plug up squeeze for most of what I do.
22f3ae8851a1755ce0b609a3f24e9e5b.jpg
6c3c2e91a47c4dcd96c3c891ad9c2193.jpg
73c4810371fdefddb12fbe76d42a0dd3.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Made gravity feed system with a Sawyer mini and some tubing and adapters and a Seattle Sports bladder/solar shower. It makes a great backcountry kit.

OP
wabowman

wabowman

Lil-Rokslider
So this is my system. I got a cheap bladder online that has quick disconnects and a large zip opening to make it easier to get the dirty water in (as others have mentioned the small squeeze bags can be a pain to fill). I use the nylon diesel filter in the picture as a pre-filter to catch the bigger stuff. This gives me a 3 liter dirty bag that can fill my clean bladder in one shot without removing my bladder from my pack (quick connects directly to the hose). I also have a plastic Evernew brand container that is similar to the squeeze bags that come with the filters but it holds 2 liters and is a bit better constructed, IMO. This doesn't come on every trip but can be used as the system was originally designed if I want. Again, I like the flexibility this system provides (gravity filter, squeeze filter, inline filter, like a straw direct from the source, etc.). I have a shut off valve installed on the filter so I can gravity feed into a Nalgene or cook pot without needing the quick connects I use on the bladder.

I also carry a smart water bottle cap that can screw directly into the squeeze filter and works better for me than the one provided with the filter when you buy it.

All in, including a wire tie to hang it/keep it organized and a carry bag it weighs under 12 oz. That may be more than some systems but it provides me the versatility I want and works quite well. I can leave various pieces at home to lighten it up if I want (cap, Evernew bottle, pre-filter, etc.). I can also very easily swap the squeeze filter for a mini and shave some weight but I've decided I prefer the better flow rate and less prone to plug up squeeze for most of what I do.
22f3ae8851a1755ce0b609a3f24e9e5b.jpg
6c3c2e91a47c4dcd96c3c891ad9c2193.jpg
73c4810371fdefddb12fbe76d42a0dd3.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Shut off valve is a great idea

OP
wabowman

wabowman

Lil-Rokslider
My system is complete.
MSR 4L dirty bag
Sawyer mini screws right in to the cap.
Tubing with shut off valve.
Simple easy and lite.
Thank you all for your suggestions

Upcountry

Lil-Rokslider
I've been using a Sawyer Squeeze for a few years now with great luck. I typically carry two 3L Platypus bags, part of the 3L Hoser Hydration kit, as this bag is more flexible than the stiffer Platypus bags. I've been using these bags for several years without issue. By carrying two of these, plus my actual reservoir mounted in my backpack, I can carry 9L at any given point in time(one 3L is for dirty water only, one 3L is for clean only, and then I will fill my bladder at the source). I then carry a small 1L Platypus bag cut in half to use as a water scoop if there isn't a large source. I have several fittings and short hose sections/valves, so that I can mate everything together.

Just picked this up last week as my Squeeze was getting slow now on it's 3rd season. Brand new... The Mini now can be purchased with both ends threaded(also has internal nipples still), although I haven't seen it outside of this kit which includes a larger 1 gallon bag and some handy fittings. But now the Squeeze and the Mini have the same inlets and outlets...
Dual-threaded-mini-498x480.jpg

Amazon.com : Sawyer Products SP160 One-Gallon Gravity Water Filtration System with Dual-Threaded Mini Filter : Sports & Outdoors

OP
wabowman

wabowman

Lil-Rokslider
I've been using a Sawyer Squeeze for a few years now with great luck. I typically carry two 3L Platypus bags, part of the 3L Hoser Hydration kit, as this bag is more flexible than the stiffer Platypus bags. I've been using these bags for several years without issue. By carrying two of these, plus my actual reservoir mounted in my backpack, I can carry 9L at any given point in time(one 3L is for dirty water only, one 3L is for clean only, and then I will fill my bladder at the source). I then carry a small 1L Platypus bag cut in half to use as a water scoop if there isn't a large source. I have several fittings and short hose sections/valves, so that I can mate everything together.

Just picked this up last week as my Squeeze was getting slow now on it's 3rd season. Brand new... The Mini now can be purchased with both ends threaded(also has internal nipples still), although I haven't seen it outside of this kit which includes a larger 1 gallon bag and some handy fittings. But now the Squeeze and the Mini have the same inlets and outlets...
Dual-threaded-mini-498x480.jpg

Amazon.com : Sawyer Products SP160 One-Gallon Gravity Water Filtration System with Dual-Threaded Mini Filter : Sports & Outdoors
I like that. I can see how that version could help with these systems.

efnm

WKR
Wow, thanks for mentioning the new product from Sawyer! I just got back from a wilderness trip with my buddy and my homemade Sawyer mini system almost kept up with my buddies Platy system. For 1/3 the price I'll take that, and I can filter directly into my backpack's bladder.

epfd217

FNG
I use a hybrid of the Katadyn Base camp and a sawyer filter. I'm still using a sawyer 3-way filter that uses the quick connect hose barbs. It works light years better than the Katadyn hiker filter and is easily backflushed. Gravity filtering is the best as long as you can fill the bag. Great for camp, but poor for on the go. I love some of the new options from Sawyer and I'm loving some of the ideas shared here.

Here is my setup:

- Dirty Bag - Platypus Big Zip 3L
- Quick connect to Dirty Bag (comes with Platypus)
- Open hose connection to Sawyer Mini (cut Platypus hose and put inline fast fill adapter from Sawyer, wont use the drinking side anymore)
- Sawyer Mini
- Open hose connection to Sawyer Mini
- Quick connect to Clean Bag (part from the Sawyer Fast Fill Adapter package, Source bag already has quick connect)
- Clean Bag in Pack - Source Tactical WXP Bite Valve 3L

Parts needed:
  1. Platypus Big Zip 3L
  2. Sawyer Fast Fill Adapters
  3. Source Tactical 3L

Really simple to fill the big zip, can hang it if need be, or most times just roll it up squeezing it into the clean bag. Takes less than a mini to squeeze on a clean filter.

Last edited:
I'll see if I can get a pic of mine for you today. Here's what I'm using with great results:

- MSR 6L Dromedary bag (dirty water)
- Sawyer hose attaching dirty water bag to filter
- MSR hose with on/off valve attached to clean side of filter

That's it. I fill the dromedary bag, attach the filter and hang it in a tree via carabiner. From there I fill up my pack bladder, water bottles, pot, etc.