Game bags

maverick351

Lil-Rokslider
Really interested in the Black Ovis game bags. Love some of the features they offer. Am I really missing something by going to another brand? Was interested in the tag bags and they sound awesome but are double the price.

Owenst7

WKR
I bought the large set off camofire a couple weeks ago. They're my first synthetic bags, so I don't have much to compare them to.

Don't expect to ever go back to the old cheesecloth bags again after seeing these though.

For the price, I'd want them just as a spare/loaner set.

Hunter6

WKR
I use the black ovis bags (last years model). No regrets. Packed out one cow elk, machine washed the bags when done and they still look almost new.
Keep an eye on Camofire and you'll find them for about half price. I saw them on there yesterday.
de030e589ad0fdad86a33db7132e975b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MtnMuley

WKR
I've used TAGs since they've came out and had zero complaints. I've also bought several sets of Black Ovis bags on Camofire as well over the last couple years as gifts and spare bags. I have no complaints and would undoubtedly buy the set that fits your needs on Camofire, whether it be the deer or elk bags.

530Chukar

WKR
I just bought the Caribou Carnivore III from solohntr. Signup for their e-mail list any you'll get a code for 20% off I think it was. They only cost me $45 or so with tax and shipping.

EastMT

WKR
Usually camofire.com has them once a week at 50% off along with Sitka, a few others. It's set up for 24hr sales, changes every day. Sometimes great deals, sometimes cheaper elsewhere

AlaskaEd

WKR
In my experience, the TAG bags do not let the meat dry and crust properly. I've had my moose meat still moist 2 days later. The butcher I took it to asked if I wanted the bags back and I said no. He wasn't surprised and said he'd had a bunch of caribou hunters that said the same, that they left the meat moist and to toss the bags in the trash. A friend and long time sheep hunter has gone back to standard bags as well for sheep hunts where he may not have the meat out of the field for several days.

I can't comment on other synthetic bags.

MTNRCHR

Lil-Rokslider
The caribou bags I used last year worked great on the elk I shot. I used them 2 weeks prior on my dall sheep hunt with no complaints there either.
I soaked them in the left over ice water in the coolers overnight and they were good as new with one wash in the washing machine.

I used the large set of Ovis ones last year and they seem as good as any.
For size comparison they were slightly small for a bone in deer.

Hunter6

WKR
The large and XL black ovis sacks are on Camofire right now for the next fifteen hrs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
M

maverick351

Lil-Rokslider
Camping what kind of deer? Western or eastern? Whitetail or muley?

I have some of the black ovis bags I got off of camofire. They are quality. IDk about anyone else who bought them but mine had a strong smell to them when i opened them up to check them out. It was almost a chemical smell. I threw them strait into the washer no soap and just ran them thru. That fixed it.

I have some of the black ovis bags I got off of camofire. They are quality. IDk about anyone else who bought them but mine had a strong smell to them when i opened them up to check them out. It was almost a chemical smell. I threw them strait into the washer no soap and just ran them thru. That fixed it.

Mine were horrible even after washing. I hung them in the basement for however long and they are fine now.

I'd buy them again.

Salix

FNG
I purchased a couple sets of the XL off of camofire a few months ago. Prepping for upcoming hunt I washed them as I had previously read about the smell. I noticed a small hole on one of the bags when I was hanging it to dry. Turns out every one of the bags in the 2 sets has a small hole near one of the bottom corners. It's a round hole about a mm wide, not sure the reason for it. I thought it strange though.
Hunting partners have used Tag bags for years, great for managing bugs on early season hunts. Ovis bags are not as large but the price is better when they are on sale.

OP
M

maverick351

Lil-Rokslider
I ordered the black ovis game bags and will have them soon. Hopefully the smell goes away and i get them bloody soon. Curious about the small hole from rhe previous post