Electronic Ear Muffs for Hunting?

KClark

WKR
I've been wondering how this works for anybody that's tried it because my hearing has gotten terrible, tinnitus and significant loss overall has left me without one of the important tools of the trade. I know I need to get real hearing aides but I doubt that will happen before this fall. I've seen the Walkers Game Ears etc. and wonder if they are a significant help or just another gadget.

Would love to hear from those that have used electronic hearing muffs for hunting.

As it so happens, I am working on an article about electronic in the ear hearing protection devices... basically simple hearing aids with noise suppression circuitry. I was interested in them because I didn't want to wear earmuffs while hunting and shooting. I would suggest you check out the following models:

TEP_100 Tactical Earplug by 3M Peltor; 3M™ PELTOR™ TEP-100 Tactical Earplugs Kit, 1 Kit EA/Case

Gunsport Pro by ETYMOTIC; Etymotic Research | GSP-15 GunSport-PRO Electronic Earplugs

Silencer in the Ear by Walker Game Ear; http://www.gsmoutdoors.com/shopping/Silencer-in-the-Ear-PAIR-P1032.aspx

They range in price between $100 and $300. You should check the price on the makers website and also Amazon or eBay to get the best price.

They all have adjustable volume and run off of hearing aid batteries or internal batteries that can be recharged. All of them fit in your ear, are comfortable, and come with a variety of earpiece sizes and shapes. The key to their success is to try the different sized ear pieces so that you can find the one that fit snugly in your ear. Even one size too small will still let the loud crack of the gun going off get through and cause your ears to ring.

There are other, more sophisticated, custom fit models that are built into foam impressions you make of your ears, but they range from $1000 and up.

Larry

wyosteve

WKR
I've used 2 types--an in the ear by Sport Ear that amplifies and then cuts off loud noises. They work ok, but the cut off circuit is a bit slow in my opinion. I also have some Howard Leight electronic muffs. They work well and cut off quickly. I've primarily worn the muffs for bird hunting. The downside to the muffs is that if you're moving much, they 'sweat' around the ears where the muff touches your head. The Sport Ear are better for hunts where hiking is involved. The muffs are worth the price. Sport Ears are made by Starkey which is one of the well known hearing aid manufacturers. They're around $300.

Wyosteve,

The sweating and bulk were the main reasons that I started to look into the "in the ear" style of electronic noise suppression products.

Larry

I tried the Radians behind the ear protection. It has the small unit that fits behind the ear, and has a small tube with a earplug that fits in the ear canal. It amplifies the normal sounds, but cuts off when you fire the gun. They worked fine, the only thing was I kept hearing a "buzz" or humming noise which became irritating after about 30 minutes.
I now use Walker's quad electronic muffs. They have excellent quality microphones and sound quality is awesome. They cut off quickly when firing the rifle, and they are so sensitive, I can hear my guide whispering (which he likes cause I'm deaf). They can usually be found for around $70.00 on Camofire.
Hearing an Elk bugle while wearing them is a unique experience that will definitely make the hair stand up on the back of your neck. I won't hunt without them.

I use the Compact Sports by Howard Leight. Once Trump gets cans off the NFA list I'll go that route.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I have a pair of peltor tac100. They work but are not confidence inspiring in terms of their quality. I also have the MSA sordins. The pro x that is popular among the .mil crowd. Built like a tank and function far far better than the peltors, which you'd expect at 3x the price.

I have tried and found it unpleasant to hunt with either. Maybe turkey or water fowl where you are stationary or deer hunting from a stand. Perhaps spot and stalk if you had time to put them on when you set up,for,your shot. I think walking around in them is a pain in the ass. They are not heavy but there is also a weight issue to consider if you are an ounce counter.

I have played with various sets of plugs. I currently favor a set made by surefire that are not electronic but have been looking for a good electronic plug at a reasonable price.

On cans, I am all for them. However, as you may know, they can reduce volume quite a bit but a supersonic rifle round will likely still have enough of a report to damage hearing.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Use electronic ear pro nearly everyday- Peltor, MSA Sordins, Liberator, etc. I guess you just get used to it, but they don't bother me when hunting. I also use the Surefire Sonic Defenders in conjunction with, and/or when wearing a headset is not feasible. They offer a mechanical, passive protection while still allowing normal hearing.

I do not hunt or fire fire any firearms without ear pro, and greatly prefer double protection.

I wore my Howard Leight off and on last year and the one thing they will do is make you paranoid. I thought for sure an elk was coming through the brush behind me and it was just a chipmonk; so just make sure to realize that when you have them turned up you'll need to ignore some level of noise. I'd be interested in hearing a comparison of the smaller format types as both my dad and I could use them (me to prevent hearing loss; him to make up for it).

Larry, I'd also be interested in knowing if you have any trouble locating a bugle with these in. Hearing is such an integral part of hunting; especially being able to locate that it would be a deal breaker if it makes this more difficult.

cell4soul

FNG
How long do the batteries in the electronic ear muffs such as the Walkers or Howard Leight last. I assume they are rechargeable?

oldgrowth

Lil-Rokslider
KClark you must have read my mind because I have been wandering the same thing.This is something I have been needing for a while, just been putting it off. I too suffer from tinnitus and moderate hearing loss. I had a black bear get within 8 yards of me last season and I had no clue until the hair on the back of my neck stood up. The wife has been on me this year to get a set, I just don't know what to get. I would rather spend more and get something that works than to buy something that won't work or that is too uncomfortable to wear. I thought about ear muffs, but I think they would be too warm for the temps we see where I am. Larry, I will be interested in reading your article. I would be interested in seeing what one you think is the most comfortable, and which one sounds the best. If anyone has any other recommendations, I am all ears. (I couldn't help it, sorry):p

GKPrice

Banned
I just now opened up a brand new Peltor Sport "rangeguard" - seems to be the "new and improved" version, think I'll like them

How long do the batteries in the electronic ear muffs such as the Walkers or Howard Leight last. I assume they are rechargeable?

On the Walker's, they last throughout the hunt (5 days), never had to change them. I put a new set in at the start of the season. They are AAA and not rechargeable.

Mine are double and triple aas. Not sure how long they go for continuous use. I will say they run down fast if they switch on in your bag or pocket. Happens all the time with my peltors.

I bought the Soundgear Industrial level in-ear amplified plugs.

I had gone to have a hearing test done at Cabela's and originally bought the Walker over the ear amplified plugs, but then read about them being sensitive to wind.

Len Baccus at long range hunting had a review of the Soundgear, so I thought I'd give them a try.

SoundGear Electronic Hearing Protection

I think they are OK. Although I have constant ringing (tinnitus) from a few too many shots in the field while hunting without protection, my hearing is still decent. I don't really need the amplification for regular hunting, but I also don't want to miss a shot opportunity because I'm fumbling with ear plugs.

I also have some concerns the noise cut off is a little slow but that's hard to measure accurately. If target shooting I would never rely on them for sole hearing protection, but I am now hyper-vigilant about protecting my hearing.

The batteries will last a few days and it uses regular #10 hearing aid batteries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

willidru

WKR
If anyone is interested I can report back after my 10 Day Colorado hunt coming up next week on ESP hearing protection. I picked up a fairly expensive set of hearing protection recently. After shooting in a duck blind for years I was noticing some minor loss in my hearing. With all of the money I/we spend on gear, I felt I could justify buying high quality hearing protection for what many will spend on a good set of bino's or lasik. In the end hearing damage is not reversible and couple of the older guys I hunt with now wear $5k sets of hearing aids because they lost most of their hearing from hunting.

Based on a recommendations from a couple wing shooters and sporting clay guys, I bought a pair of esp dynamics. They are built off custom ear molds from an audiologist and have digital sound quality. I wore them for the first time on duck opener in a state hunting refuge. They were comfortable and locked into my ears very well. It took fine tuning to adjust the amplification that I wanted. Sounds were clear as day, I want to hunt while in a windy condition to see if the wind causes too much amplification. Only downside so far is my hunting partner was in a tule patch 10 yards away and I could hear him fart like he was next to me. I think the adjusting for distance of sound will take some getting used to.

Rthur

Lil-Rokslider
Sordins with gel cups are as good as it gets for muff style. Bulky as stated for up and down hunting.
There are some very nice in ear options such as ESP ect. They cost some coin though.

R

Dobermann

WKR
I also use the Surefire Sonic Defenders in conjunction with, and/or when wearing a headset is not feasible. They offer a mechanical, passive protection while still allowing normal hearing.

Which model Surefires do you use? Seems like they have quite a few to choose from ...